Listing Broken/Defective/Untested items with item condition: USED

I'm VERY careful about the item condition I select when selling, however, I recently encountered a seller from Asia who lists known Defective/Broken items as Item condition:USED.

Then in their description field below amongst all their dancing fonts/crazy logo's etc they sneak in that the item MAY NOT WORK

most buyers now use tablets and phones to browse listings and can't see all that crazy HTML tomfoolery which obfuscates the wording that the item doesn't work.

I'm only guessing most buyers think that since the seller put some mention of it not working in the listing other then Item condition they are on the hook and don't pursue the matter.

Nyd

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

@nyder_inc wrote:

I'm VERY careful about the item condition I select when selling, however, I recently encountered a seller from Asia who lists known Defective/Broken items as Item condition: USED.

Then in their description field below amongst all their dancing fonts/crazy logo's etc they sneak in that the item MAY NOT WORK

On desktop computers (I don't know about handheld devices) for a current listing there is Report Item on the same line as the Description / Shipping and Payments tabs.

-..-

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@nyder_inc wrote:

I'm VERY careful about the item condition I select when selling, however, I recently encountered a seller from Asia who lists known Defective/Broken items as Item condition:USED.

most buyers now use tablets and phones to browse listings and can't see all that crazy HTML tomfoolery which obfuscates the wording that the item doesn't work.

I'm only guessing most buyers think that since the seller put some mention of it not working in the listing other then Item condition they are on the hook and don't pursue the matter.

Nyd

If an item is normally supposed to work but doesn't (or MAY NOT) they have to call it FOR PARTS OR NOT WORKING.  I agree with the other poster, just REPORT then when you see them.  An honest seller would say up front what the problem is and not hide it down where nobody ever looks.  On the description tab it should say it is for parts and not just used which is right near the top. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I looked but when you go to report the listing, there is nothing specific to misleading condition.  
Inappropriate listing just asks if there is obscenity etc within the description.

Dunno how something like this could slip past Ebay's radar.  

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@nyder_inc wrote:

I looked but when you go to report the listing, there is nothing specific to misleading condition.  
Inappropriate listing just asks if there is obscenity etc within the description.

Then you'll just have to get creative.  Use the one for Copyright an Trademark ==> Counterfeit item ==> Counterfeit  and then type in your words.  Say sorry it is NOT counterfeit but FOR PARTS and not USED, blah blah blah.  Whatever.  Just say the problem.

The important thing is to get the listing up in front of a set of eyeballs who can do something about it.  

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

And if they turn up their nose at you using the wrong category to report in, how fortunate that they get to see how annoying it is!   🙂 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Didn't work, I never was presented an option to type anything, so I ended up reporting the item under the wrong thing lol

Message 7 of 7
latest reply