Listings in CAD/USD--tools that don't work--lots of confusion--yadayada

Having read the experiences of so many I decided to wait and see.

I have been renewing my USD listings [which is how I listed all of them as 90%+ of my buyers are US] into CAD which show on both EBay.ca and Ebay.com.

Seems that there should be no problem--right?

Got an email today from a repeat customer--a professor at a well known university--wanting to know why my listings were now in CAD.Thought it was confusing having to make offers in CAD.

Answered truthfully that this was an Ebay idea--not mine--and that Ebay has not offered any rational reason I have seen for this move.

Now if an educated person finds it confusing--how confusing must the average US buyer find it?

So.

Does anyone know how to move a listing from .ca in CAD to .com in USD and preserve the entire contents of the listing as each comes up for its 30 day renewal?

Not likely there is a tool to move in bulk and achieve the above--or is there?

Tried to reach Ebay by phone today--the auto system said a service rep would call me back in 21 minutes--which it did--but there was no one there--so the system asks you to hold and they will be right there--which they were not so I quit after holding for awhile.

I am eternally grateful that I had the foresight to create two other venues to market my wares--in USD and with none of the aggravation that Ebay entails--particularly for Canadian marketers.

As communicating with Ebay is such a tedious chore I thought I would try here--anyone with solutions will be much appreciated.

Thanks all.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Listings in CAD/USD--tools that don't work--lots of confusion--yadayada

There is a tool but good look using it.....It's created some many duplicate listings for me that I decided to manually convert the listings as they end.

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/list-in-cad/migration-tool-usd-listings.html

Good luck to you.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I agree with you completely.  In a free market system we should be able to list in whatever currency reaches the majority of our customers.  What I don't understand is why Ebay.com would show my listings in both US and Canadian dollars but ebay.ca will only show Canadian.  This is very confusing to the majority of my customers and I know they aren't going to sit there and try to convert from Canadian to US.  They are simply going to scroll right past my listings now.  I know this is going to cost me.  I can't understand why ebay.ca has done this.  If you find out how to work around the shipping part of the listing (the part where it asks for your zip code) pls. share.  I am as frustrated as you.  Ebay has always treated sellers, and especially Canadian sellers, poorly even tho sellers are the ones who pay all the bills.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

"In a free market system we should be able to list in whatever currency reaches the majority of our customers."

eBay does allow all sellers, worldwide, to list in any currency they want.  You are free to list in the domestic currency of all eBay sites around the world:  US$ on eBay.com, Sterling on eBay.uk, euro on eBay.de (Germany), Australian dollars on eBay.au, etc...  oooops, I almost forgot, Cdn$ on eBay.ca,

"What I don't understand is why Ebay.com would show my listings in both US and Canadian dollars but ebay.ca will only show Canadian. "

Look at the big picture.  The same format applies to all countries:

If you list in Cdn$ on eBay.ca, your listing will appear in Cdn$ (the listing currency you selected) and in all other worldwide sites where you elected to ship to.  If you ship to the USA, it will show your listing price in Cdn$ and the equivalent in the local currency (US$).  If you also elected to ship to the UK, the same thing happens: the listing remains in Cdn$ and eBay will show the equivalent in Sterling, etc... for every country in the world where you want to ship to.

The same is true in reverse.  If you list in US$ on eBay.com, the listing will only show US$ when seen on eBay.com; it will show US$ and equivalent Cdn$ when viewed on eBay.ca, US$ and equivalent Sterling when viewed on eBay.uk, etc...

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Free market system means you are free to pack up your listings and move elsewhere. Within one organization, you follow there rules. Nothing is free inside a cloistered entity.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

Free market system means you are free to pack up your listings and move elsewhere. Within one organization, you follow there rules. Nothing is free inside a cloistered entity.

Or you roll over and play dead like an Ebay "groupie"....

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@thecoinhunterca wrote:

@mr.elmwood wrote:

I have missed how bright and cheery you can be.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@thecoinhunterca wrote:

@mr.elmwood wrote:

Pass me another glass of that eBay koolaid, would ya, my glass is half empty.

Where's my pom-poms.

Shoot, I forgot the words to the "eBay Cheer". Do you have them?

Photobucket
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

@thecoinhunterca wrote:

@mr.elmwood wrote:

Where's my pom-poms.

Didn't realize you had sole ownership of  on the board....

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@thecoinhunterca wrote:

@mr.elmwood wrote:

@thecoinhunterca wrote:

@mr.elmwood wrote:

Where's my pom-poms.

Didn't realize you had sole ownership of  on the board....

Slay me! I will be the martyr! Et tu, Coinhustler?

Photobucket
Message 10 of 10
latest reply