Long Note - sorry

I tried to insert the link instead of this LONG message, but for some reason, it didn't work.  It's from a fabulous Vitamin/Beauty site in the States that I order from - great products, great customer service and very low shipping,   They posted the following on a special link to their Canadian customers, and I just don't understand it.  Of course I know about the Free Trade Agreement....but I also know what we are allowed to bring in - the $20.00 and $60.00 if marked gift.  As I've always said, I haven't been "dinged" when I order more...but there's always a first time.  I've emailed them asking for clarification and I go the auto email saying they had rec'd email and also got this copy of what I wrote. They're really good about answering emails, but in the meantime maybe someone (Pierre? et al) can enlighten me?  Even if it was a yearly thing, it wouldn't be $2,500.. Am I missing something?  

"Hi!  Firstly, I want to say that I really appreciate you taking the time to really look after your Canadian customers by posting info re duties, etc., but I don't understand what you mean by $2,500 being the amount we are allowed without any duty.  Of course I know about the Free Trade Agreement....but from what I know, and I quote from a publication I always have on my desk. "You don't have to pay duties and taxes if your mail order item is 1) a gift worth $60 or less (must be marked gift) or an item(s) worth $20 or less.  I know that the amount for you guys in the States is $200.  $20.00 is crazy.  I shop on line all the time and join in discussions on the Cdn. site at ebay where they talk about this all the time.  NOW, having said that, up to now, and I repeat, up to now! I've always said the Cdn. customs people must be asleep when it comes to me, as I have never been "dinged" when I order more than $20 at a time which I have done often....but I'm always thinking I will be!! LOL.  That's one reason why, when buying from you, I don't order too many items at one time.

Sorry for the long note......but could you explain in more detail what you mean by the $2,500 - even if that was for a year, it would not be that amount,  I love your site, so glad I found you.....and look forward to any more info you can give me - it's important to a shopper like me!

Thanks so much - regards,"

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Long Note - sorry

They posted the following on a special link to their Canadian customers,

What did they post....the exact wording?

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Long Note - sorry

Hi PJ:

Directly from their website.....which is the first time they've posted same:

"Enjoy Duty Free Orders!

Because of the Free Trade Agreement between the US and Canada, you are able to order up to $2,500 CAD without incurring any import duties. Please note that Canada sometimes prohibits the importation of more than a 90 days’ supply of some dietary supplements (Canadian Natural Health Products) in a single order, and you may see that reflected as a restriction in your cart.

Restricted Items

Due to Canada's import regulations, some products may not be available for purchase. If a product is restricted to Canada, this will be noted in the cart along with instructions to remove that product before you’ll be able to complete your purchase. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

While the Vitacost team works hard to prevent products from shipping to countries where ingredients are problematic or prohibited, we cannot guarantee that our restriction information is always up to date. As these regulations change constantly, we highly recommend that you check with your local authorities for information on regulations that may affect your ability to receive your order.

Unfortunately, we are unable to ship free samples and all products requiring cold packs internationally.

We welcome your feedback. If you find a product that needs to be restricted or allowed to ship to Canada, please contact us with the product name and a link to the relevant regulatory agency policy from your local..."

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Long Note - sorry

Under NAFTA, a product made in the U.S. is duty free when imported into Canada as long as the proper documentation is provided by the sender. It isn't enough for the sender to put that the item was made in the U.S. on the customs order....specific documents proving that was where it was made have to be provided.

So it looks like the company you deal with does make their products in the U.S. and that they do provide the documents to prove that when they send an item to Canada. In that case, the $20 or $60 import limit doesn't apply..

I believe that you still have to tax federal and/or provincial tax but I am not positive on that.

I'm not positive either about the $2500 limit but my guess is that if you import more than that at one time then it would be considered a commercial import rather than one for personal use.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Long Note - sorry

Thanks for your reply - I certainly wasn't aware about products being made in the U.S. being exempt - I'm SO surprised by that.  I can't remember when I've ordered more than the $20.00 limit, which I do a lot, whether they've supplied that info on the packaging. They must, or they wouldn't have posted this, but I'll definitely confirm with them that they do. 

So ordering stuff from ebay (obviously if made IN the States) should work the same way?  I guess it's something I should ask the seller to mark on the packaging too, even it's a small seller and not a big site like this one? Yikes, guess you live & learn, but I'll see what they come up with and post.  I'm wondering why I've never seen this before, as I'm always "investigating" and I've never seen anything about this in this Forum, but maybe I missed it. 

Thanks again.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Long Note - sorry

Duty is Duty - and is generally exempt under the USA/Canada Free Trade Agreement for goods manufactured in either country.

Consumption taxes (GST/HST) - unknown in the USA as they do not have a national consumption tax - apply to import shipments valued at Cdn$ 20.00 or more on most taxable items.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html#c1 

Unfortunately, many posters (and Americans) confuse "duty" with "taxes".

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Long Note - sorry

So ordering stuff from ebay (obviously if made IN the States) should work the same way? 

Probably not. As I said the seller has to fill out specific paperwork and might have to know more information about the product than most sellers would know. For example, a company might assemble their item in the U.S. but some of the parts they use are from other countries.

I've dealt with larger companies in the U.S. who use a courier and charge the duty & tax ahead of time..similar to what PB does on ebay. Many of them do not seem to have a system set up so that NAFTA items are duty free so I doubt that the average ebay seller would know how to do it or have all of the info needed. They can write U.S. on the customs but that might not make a difference.

One company I deal with actually sends a refund if they have collected too much duty/tax from me. Impressive!

The NAFTA agreement is probably more useful for someone that is importing large quantities at one time.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Long Note - sorry

From post 3...

I believe that you still have to tax federal and/or provincial tax but I am not positive on that

Should say

I believe that you still have to pay federal and/or provincial tax but I am not positive on that.

I guess Pierre just confirmed that tax will still be paypable.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Long Note - sorry

I'm not positive either about the $2500 limit but my guess is that if you import more than that at one time then it would be considered a commercial import rather than one for personal use.

Commercial import is handled almost the same and actually has an advantage of being subject to GST only, versus HST for personal import. I think commercial import requires registered import account with CBSA, everyone who collects GST/HST has one.

The $2500 limit may be maximum value they are allowed to insure with their courier. Canadians can import any value of uncontrolled goods (other than guns, alcohol, tobacco, etc), there is people who import several million worth of goods in single shipment.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Long Note - sorry

This is the very short & sweet reply that I received after my LONG email to them - I had sent another one to them, so there may be yet another reply on the way.

Thank you for contacting Vitacost.com where we take the cost out of healthy living. My name is Tabitha and I will be happy to assist you.

The information on the website is per order, however you may still be charged taxes and tariffs for the order.

If you have any further questions or comments regarding this matter, please feel free to discuss it with us at "

Thanks to everyone who posted!  In my mind, they still haven't answered my questions - yikes, I wouldn't order $2,500 in one shot......I'll just have to see what happens when my $80.00 worth of stuff is coming, whether or not I'm charged and what exactly is shown on the shipping label as regards the "paper work".  The items I ordered, which I love, are being discontinued (what's new ladies?!") - that's why I ordered a bunch.  I'll let you know what I see on the box.  Thanks my friends and to those who are or who still have mothers.....HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!

Message 10 of 10
latest reply