Market Research Programs

rewelu
Community Member
Hi,

I would just like to know if anyone here uses any type of market research program.

I was looking at the one Andale offers and there's one by Worldwide Brands.

I wanted to find out what kind of things work and don't work with eBay and average prices.

Thanks!

Hendre
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Market Research Programs

shoplineca
Community Member
Hendre
Go onto the US PS Discussion Board and read the threads about Andale. Apparently their relationship with eBay is breaking up so I dont beleive that they will be able to assist. I also note people complaining about how expensive some of their services are.

Be careful of when eBay sends out their list of HOT items, it is not based on anything at all except them wanting more listings in certain categories.

Malcolm

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Market Research Programs

goaliemitch
Community Member
Try DeepAnalysis (Hammertap) or AuctionIntelligence both are good programs but expensive. There are trials in their websites. Actually I am running some reports on AuctionIntelligence this evening. It does a really good job of summarizing who's selling what and for how much. Before you install it, make sure you set a restore point if you are using an XP computer. It installs a lot of crap that you won't need if you decide not to keep the program.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Market Research Programs

gem-n-i-gemstonz
Community Member
"Be careful of when eBay sends out their list of HOT items, it is not based on anything at all except them wanting more listings in certain categories."

So true Malcolm...I was trying to use thier list of HOT items to pick up a new product line. When I researched it though, doing searches of completed items...not very many of the items had sold! How can they say that it a hot item????

Jaqui

Gem Am I

The spiritual journey is individual, highly personal. It can't be organized or regulated. It isn't true that everyone should follow one path. Listen to your own truth. -Ram Dass

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Market Research Programs

shoplineca
Community Member
Jaqui
We all asked them that and never got any response. In fact when the items that you sell arent on their list it may make you get rid of everything you are selling and buy new inventory in something else.

We had some pretty nasty comments in a couple of threads started last year about what eBay was doing in sending out false and misleading information, especially from a company that has all the statistics available at their finger tips.

Hendre, with respect to any statistics you use, you must be very careful at deciphering them as well for a variety of reasons.

Sales for an item might reflect that tons were sold because one major vendor located in the US sold millions because he included shipping whereas you would not have the same ability to sell the ite,s as you shipping costs might be 5 times what his were.

Someone else may have given out something else for free with every purchase (like I am doing with a couple of items) and the statistics you get will not reflect that.

There are just so many variables when looking at such a huge eBay market.

I can tell you that almost every month I introduce a new product, something unusual. Within 3 months, there are 10 or so people selling similar products to what I had been selling and my market totally dies. Overall however, statistics will show that it is a growing market for that product and might encourage someone else to get into it.

Malcolm

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Market Research Programs

rewelu
Community Member
Hi,

Thanks a lot.

But I am not worried about competition. I just wanted to get a feel for how much there is on eBay and what average prices are.

Hendre
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Market Research Programs

gem-n-i-gemstonz
Community Member
Malcolm, they probably base it on searches. Sure I may search for the lowest price on ebay when I am shopping for my new DVD player...just to get an idea of what are some of the lowest prices out there. BUT, I likely would probably not buy something like that over the internet, unless the company selling had a store close to me where I could deal with repairs etc.(such as a Future Shop type of thing)

Maybe they should entitle it "most searched for items" rather than HOT items.

Jaqui

Gem Am I

The spiritual journey is individual, highly personal. It can't be organized or regulated. It isn't true that everyone should follow one path. Listen to your own truth. -Ram Dass

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Market Research Programs

shoplineca
Community Member
Jaqui
Actually they marketed the items claiming that there was very high consumer demand and limited supply.

It was totally, blatantly and almost criminally misleading. Many of us were very upset as we know eBay has the resources to give us accurate information and it took any one of us no more than 5 minutes to dispell what they were claiming.

The items they billed as low supply, high demand, had ending auctions with no bids at all on those items, so if there was demand, why were none of those items selling.

It was just plain and out wrong and unfortunately there wasnt any logic to it at all, no explanation and no apologies.

Malcolm
Message 8 of 8
latest reply