May 1st Weekly Board Hour

Good afternoon everyone,

Bryan.ca (Country Product Manager) & I will be your hosts for this hour. Let's get this show on the road!

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Good afternoon!  I hope the weather's as glorious where you are as it is here in Nova Scotia!:-)

My question concerns the "Business Policies" being initiated.  I see on the .com site that "all sellers will be automatically opted in" in June of this year.  Does that apply only to eBay.com, and if so, will this soon be coming to eBay.ca?

The 2nd part of this question is whether a seller who uses an auction management site (like Auctiva), as I do, will be able to opt out of this programme, since I already have this functionality through Auctiva and it works beautifully.

Thanks very much!

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

janna!
Community Member

Hi! Can you suggest a program to aid in the preparation for my Year End Financial Statement regarding my eBay sales, Paypal information and expenses?  The monthly eBay Sales reports and information from Paypal were very handy, but there must be a faster way to organise this information plus expenses etc. other than Excel.  (I am Canadian and sell in United States currency.)  If I understand correctly, Outright seems to be geared more for the American market at Tax Time.  Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, janna!

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

Good afternoon gentlemen.

You cannot not be aware of the hundreds of posts on eBay.ca negatively commenting on eBay's Global Shipping program operated by Pitney Bowes in the USA (additional shipping charge, additional fee, compulsary tax and duty, delay in transit due to re-shipping, etc...).

Does eBay see the same negative reaction in other countries where the program is available?

Does eBay intend to continue with that program despite its negative effects on Canadian buyers?

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

Hi Bryan, I thought I had better get this question in now as I have to go out soon.

It was mentioned on the boards that on .ca there is a search problem on Womens Shoes. I tried to access the womens shoes myself, was able to get to my size by using the related searches just below the search area. BUT, when I clicked on Sandals it show ALL the womens shoes, not just sandals. (It may have said Sandals & Slingbacks, I can't quite remember). Can you not have the search on .ca match the search on .com? It works properly.

Its absolutely impossible to search for shoes to buy on .ca the way it is now. And I need my shoes!

Thanks.

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

HI!

I have a question for you ... This morning, due to fees changes, I went to subscribe to ANCHOR store. But ... I was not able! My performance is below standard...WHAT? I'm Top rated!

After review, I saw my subscription to PREMIUM store can be downgrade! Since when?

SO, with 1500 I will need to pay HIGHEST price ?!

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

Good afternoon!  I hope the weather's as glorious where you are as it is here in Nova Scotia!:-)

My question concerns the "Business Policies" being initiated.  I see on the .com site that "all sellers will be automatically opted in" in June of this year.  Does that apply only to eBay.com, and if so, will this soon be coming to eBay.ca?

The 2nd part of this question is whether a seller who uses an auction management site (like Auctiva), as I do, will be able to opt out of this programme, since I already have this functionality through Auctiva and it works beautifully.

Thanks very much!

Hi rose-dee,

We've got Business Policies scheduled for mid-July on eBay.ca.

As for your second question, I don't actually know for sure - let me find out for you. I'll send you an email when I have an answer.

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

Here is a question I posted at the end of last weeks session that did not get a response.

The latest sales promotion Apr 20-29 has issues with "random" charges for listing fees. It has been reported in the eBay.ca forums and the eBay.com forums.

Some sellers who have had invalid charges have called eBay and got credits. Some sellers say it is not worth their time to call for $3-4.

Will eBay issue credits automatically at the end of the month so sellers do not have to call in?

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

Hi Janna,

Check out these apps for financial planning and other accounting, but also feel free to ask the community on the discussion boards for their experience in Canadian selling cross border.

http://applications.ebay.com/selling?EAppsByCategory&sType=2&cId=5

Bryan

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

Hi,

Yes, we did have issues with our our little bar with graphics that allowed you to refine by shoe type. We have removed it until we can correct the issue. We do our very best to bring you the features and functionality from our all our sites (including .com)

Hope you find your shoes 🙂

Bryan

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

Good afternoon gentlemen.

You cannot not be aware of the hundreds of posts on eBay.ca negatively commenting on eBay's Global Shipping program operated by Pitney Bowes in the USA (additional shipping charge, additional fee, compulsary tax and duty, delay in transit due to re-shipping, etc...).

Does eBay see the same negative reaction in other countries where the program is available?

Does eBay intend to continue with that program despite its negative effects on Canadian buyers?

Hi pierrelebel,

Great questions, however, not ones that we'd have answers for at this time. We're hoping for the best with the GSP & if anything changes, we'll be sure to let you know.

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

We've got Business Policies scheduled for mid-July on eBay.ca.

As for your second question, I don't actually know for sure - let me find out for you. I'll send you an email when I have an answer.

Thanks very much Kalvin, I'll look forward to the response.

This is particularly important to me as I've put a great deal of time and work into my Auctiva "boilerplate" terms of sale, and I really don't want to have to start all over with a completely new and unfamiliar system if I can avoid it. 

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

Just a comment - no need for an answer. As a Canadian I will not purchase anything from a seller who uses the GSP. Why would I pay those extra $$? Eeven though we only have a measly $20 limit before paying on items crossing the border, compared to the $200 going to our US buyers, that with GSP it still costs extra if we purchase using that program.

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

HI!

I have a question for you ... This morning, due to fees changes, I went to subscribe to ANCHOR store. But ... I was not able! My performance is below standard...WHAT? I'm Top rated!

After review, I saw my subscription to PREMIUM store can be downgrade! Since when?

SO, with 1500 I will need to pay HIGHEST price ?!

Hi lecoffre,

Downgrading a Store subscription was always an option - before or after the new fees kicked in today. Not quite sure what the '1500' reference is to - mind clarifying please?

Thanks,

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

Here is a question I posted at the end of last weeks session that did not get a response.

The latest sales promotion Apr 20-29 has issues with "random" charges for listing fees. It has been reported in the eBay.ca forums and the eBay.com forums.

Some sellers who have had invalid charges have called eBay and got credits. Some sellers say it is not worth their time to call for $3-4.

Will eBay issue credits automatically at the end of the month so sellers do not have to call in?

Hi pocomocomputing,

Last we were advised, this was meant to be done on the backend. If you are any other sellers see any listings which should've been part of the promotion, definitely drop me a note so I can have it looked into.

Thanks,

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 15 of 28
latest reply

Global Calculated Shipping discount in the eBay listing.

1) The interface for the calculated shipping discount is horrible. It does not indicate what the current rate is set to when you have a value set. So you have to uncheck the option to remove it and reset the value.  I have to do this when I am not sure what I have it set to. I should be able to see what it is set to without deleting and resetting it when I just want to check what I set it to.

My eBay -> Account -> Site Preferences -> Selling Preferences -> Shipping Preferences -> Click Show

Offer this Canada Post shipping rate -> Edit

2) The calculated shipping discount should be by Canada Post service and not a Global setting.  For example, if a seller uses calculated shipping, then International shipping for USA can have Small Packet Air USA (no discount), Tracked Packet USA (14%), Expedited Parcel USA (18%) and Xpresspost USA (9%). How do I set a discount that can meet the shipping costs of all three services to charge closer to actual shipping costs so buyers are not scared away by higher shipping costs.

Please note that I am not saying to use all three services in one listing. I would be using it across all listings where I might use one of these.

The discount also applies to International shipping besides the USA with the same issue. With the addition of Tracked Packet, the calculated shipping discount one rate approach is more complicated.

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

Sorry, missing word : listings 😉

I don't want to downgrade my store ... But I like I "don't have" requirements for an ANCHOR, I don't have requirement to PREMIUM too! And eBAY will downgrade my store!

I spoke with issue to a eBay agent and she was not able to answered to this question: How a Canadian Top rated Seller cannot have requirement to have a premium or anchor store?

I'm not interested to pay fees for Basic store with more than 1500 listings!

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

OK Kalvin, let me ask a different question on the same GSP

Why are Canadians treated like third class citizens?

For example, when viewing 281093594419 on eBay.com, a viewer from Canada will be informed of the estimated import charge - right there on the front page and again if one clicks on the "shipping and payments" tab.

If a potential buyer looks at the same listing on eBay.uk (United Kingdom), eBay will once again offer the estimated import charge - right there on the front page and again if one clicks on the "shipping and payments" tab.

However, a Canadian viewing the same item 281093594419 on eBay.ca is NOT informed of those estimated import charge.  All we see is "Import charges: To be provided at checkout" on the front page and NOTHING under the "shipping and payments" tab.

Why are Canadian buyers treated like third class citizens by eBay?

That program has been in effect for several months.  Why are Canadians still treated like third class citizens?

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

Hello Everyone.

I have concern about new Final Value Fees not working

Today we should see 9% FVF but when looking at my recent account activity, I still see 11% billed in my Premium Store. Example: 380538951753 (price $22.62), sold 01-May-13 12:22:50 EDT, Final Value fee US $2.49 ...... should be $2.04

Thanks

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

OK Kalvin, let me ask a different question on the same GSP

Why are Canadians treated like third class citizens?

For example, when viewing 281093594419 on eBay.com, a viewer from Canada will be informed of the estimated import charge - right there on the front page and again if one clicks on the "shipping and payments" tab.

If a potential buyer looks at the same listing on eBay.uk (United Kingdom), eBay will once again offer the estimated import charge - right there on the front page and again if one clicks on the "shipping and payments" tab.

However, a Canadian viewing the same item 281093594419 on eBay.ca is NOT informed of those estimated import charge.  All we see is "Import charges: To be provided at checkout" on the front page and NOTHING under the "shipping and payments" tab.

Why are Canadian buyers treated like third class citizens by eBay?

That program has been in effect for several months.  Why are Canadians still treated like third class citizens?

Hi,

I'm not sure how long this has been going on for, we are going to have this corrected this month. Sorry if this is affecting you negatively. Canadians are first class 🙂

Bryan

Message 20 of 28
latest reply