Messaging seller after transaction

While browsing the US community boards some time ago I read a discussion among sellers upset that their seller status (I’m not sure of the exact term) is negatively impacted if they receive a message from a buyer after the transaction is complete. This happens apparently even if the message is not a complaint but something positive. For example, the buyer is delighted because the item turned out to be better than they’d hoped. I thought, how can that be, and moved on.

Now I’m in a position where I want to send a complimentary message that goes into a little more detail than was possible in FB, but I don’t want to cause the seller trouble.

The US boards have been changed since I was there last and I can’t find the thread. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it even true or did I misunderstand? Might it only apply to US sellers? The one I want to thank is in Canada so I thought I'd try asking here first.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Or you can send the seller an ebay message but make sure to select 'other'; as the topic,  the problem with messages to seller is that two of them will open a complaint automatically, but no one is told this. This is what people would be beefing about.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

You can leave feedback and straight five star ratings. That will be the most effective message, since the seller's future customers will see it and know she is trustworthy.

If you paid by Paypal, you have her business email address. Use it.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

"I want to send a complimentary message"

Best and easiest way to do it is to contact the seller directly at the email address shown on the PayPal payment.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Or you can send the seller an ebay message but make sure to select 'other'; as the topic,  the problem with messages to seller is that two of them will open a complaint automatically, but no one is told this. This is what people would be beefing about.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

"you can send the seller an ebay message"

One of the many problems with the eBay messaging system is that you are very limited to what you can include in your message.  eBay will not allow certain links, will not allow email addresses, etc...

Best to use email where there is no censorship.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thank you all very much for the informative replies. Of course I have already sent five star feedback with comments highly recommending the seller. It did occur to me to use her email address from PayPal, but I thought it might seem stalkerish. But if that's considered okay by experienced buyers and sellers, that's what I will do. I also appreciate the tip from afantiques about using "other" if choosing to send a message through eBay.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply