Miriam...You requested and I provided....

whoscloset
Community Member
On a previous thread you stated that you would like specific examples of how the new system is impacting the selling community. As requested, I posted the following real-life scenario.

It has been a week and I'm still waiting for some response...or at least the courtesy of an acknowledgment that you have read and understood the problems.

For your convenience I have bolded the questions involved with the following scenario for which I would appreciate an answer.

whoscloset 05-06-08 14:25 EDT 39 of 70

Miriam,

I'm not as disturbed by the feedback issues as others. Compared to Best Match it is a minor inconvenience.

Best Match is set up in such a way to completely favor scammers which in no way improves the buyer experience. A fraudulent seller simply has to develop a user id with questionable feedback via small purchases, then they can begin to sell and find themselves advantaged in Best Match.

Sellers with YEARS of proven reliability can easily find themselves at the bottom of search because of a low shipping DSR in the past 30 days. eBay has set it up to completely disregard years of reliable selling.

When Best Match was first implemented I was thrilled with it. It was based solely upon the listings that had attracted customers and sold with positive results in the past. It actually favored reliable sellers who had proven themselves through sales over the years. Then eBay introduced DSRs into the equation and it all went to h*ll in a hand-basket.

Prime example:

Item 310051440288
I have been selling salt lamps for years. This seller has been getting away with fee avoidance for just as long. I can GUARANTEE you that regardless of how many you buy or how they are shipped you CAN NOT get a 5 pound, finished salt lamp from Pakistan (where they are ALL mined) to North America for 99 cents each. Have a look at his shipping charge...$131.02 via USPS ground within the United States. It is obvious that this person is making his profit ENTIRELY off shipping charges and avoiding ebay fees.

He sells the same items under multiple id's with different pricing structures and shipping charges set up for each id. None of his id's has been as successful or rated FB as positive as mine over the years. When regular search and the original Best Match were in place my items rose to the top above all of this as buyers had been much more satisfied over the years with my honest sales practices and quality products. Since the implementation of DSR's into the equation ALL of his listings are ahead of mine. Why? Because I have a 4.5 shipping charge DSR for the past 30 days despite the fact that I subsidize shipping and offer 60% off the actual cost of UPS Ground service to my customers.

eBay is effectively shoving his listings, which have historically not resulted in a great deal of satisfaction down the throats of buyers, while my items...which have been received very well over the years languish on page 10 of search.

Please explain how this is a positive experience for

a) eBay, who are losing FVFs due to fee avoidance,

b) Buyers, to whom ebay is promoting products sold by people with a less than stellar history of product and customer service, or

c) Decent Sellers with years of proven FB and customer satisfaction who are now selling very little.

Monique

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

tea_past_times
Community Member
Independent Third Party Automated Computer Bots, Who never read the reported posts, notwithstanding.
Message 41 of 44
latest reply

Monique,

I can't believe that post. And yes its scary. I feel bad for the all small & medium size sellers on Ebay.

Frederic
Message 42 of 44
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
I thought it was just another disgruntled ebayer...until "poof" 😞

Monique

Message 43 of 44
latest reply

miriam@ebay.com
Community Member
Hi tea_past_times,

The difference is that moderation is not my gig. I probably report post a month on this board (out of all the ones that are reported and/or removed) - and this month's wasn't the one folks are talking about here.

Miriam
Message 44 of 44
latest reply