More HappyFace Spam From Paypal

eurotin
Community Member
Got another email telling me how great Paypal is for Canadians. This is all old news to the users of this forum but here's my reply. Feel free to copy and tailor to your own taste. Maybe you could quote Nixon.....

About the title of this message. "Selling with PayPal is easy on eBay Canada!" That statement is nonsense and you know it. I go to a lot of trouble to maintain a US$ account and Paypal won't pay into it. You have a greedy and self-serving policy of forcing Canadians to pay exchange fees on top of the fees you have already charged us. This is an apalling way to treat your customers. YOU DON'T TREAT YOUR USA CUSTOMERS THIS WAY SO STOP PI**ING ON MY SHOES AND TELLING ME ITS RAIN. (To quote Lyndon Johnson) I'm selling on consignment and my consignors want US$. I can't get these for them without suffering the gouge of 2 exchange fees. I also can't transfer to them from my Paypal account without the same double-dipping. (8%++) And why do they want US$? Why, to spend on Ebay, of course. YOU HAVE IT TOO GOOD AND YOU'RE TAKING THE CUSTOMER FOR GRANTED. ACTUALLY, YOU'RE BORDERLINE ABUSIVE. Only a USA based organisation would be clueless enough to assume that Canadians had no use for US dollars. But then, that "cluelessness" is profitable. Sign me, Unconvinced by your vapid PR.

Original Message:
-----------------
Date: 9 Apr 2004 19:38:13 -0000
To: bill@epi.ca
Subject: Selling with PayPal is easy on eBay Canada!

Instant Payments, Buyer Protection, and More:
*** Use PayPal on eBay.ca ***

Dear William Armstrong,

Now that PayPal is fully integrated into eBay.ca, using PayPal is faster, easier, and more secure than ever before.

Here are some of the listing options available on eBay.ca:

* Include PayPal in your eBay.ca listings using the eBay.ca Sell Your Item form or bulk listing tools such as Turbo Lister. PayPal will appear in the Payment Methods Accepted section, along with the credit card and eCheque logos.

* Use PayPal's Automatic Logo Insertion to insert logos into your eBay.ca listings and eBay will automatically let buyers know that you accept PayPal.

* Use PayPal to make a one-time payment of your eBay Seller fees.

Your buyers can pay you with PayPal through eBay's checkout, whether they buy on eBay.com or eBay.ca. Remember to tell your buyers you prefer PayPal by turning on PayPal Preferred in eBay's Seller Payment Preferences.

Additionally, you can benefit from PayPal Buyer Protection. It's designed to bring you more customers by increasing buyer confidence. When your buyers see the PayPal Buyer Protection logo in your listings, they'll feel more secure knowing that their purchases are covered up to $625.00 CAD at no additional cost when they pay with PayPal.

The PayPal Buyer Protection icon will automatically appear on all qualified eBay.ca, eBay.com, and eBay.co.uk listings for all eligible sellers. To find out if you're eligible to have PayPal Buyer Protection offered on your listings, log in to your PayPal account, go to the Profile tab, and look for the Seller Eligibility link in the Selling Preferences column.

Learn more about PayPal Buyer Protection, as well as our other protection programs and security tips, by visiting our Security Center: https://www.paypal.com/securityctr

Visit eBay.ca now, and put PayPal to work for you!

Sincerely,

PayPal

Note: When using PayPal for a one-time payment of your eBay Seller fees, make sure to pay your fees within five days of receiving your invoice from eBay in order to avoid having your automatic payment method charged by eBay.

----------------------------------------------------------------
This PayPal notification was sent to bill@epi.ca. Your notification preferences are set to receive the PayPal Periodical newsletter and Product Updates when you create a PayPal account. To modify your notification preferences and unsubscribe, go to https://www.paypal.com/PREFS-NOTI and log in to your account. Changes may take several days to be reflected in our mailings. PayPal will not sell or rent any of your personally identifiable information to third parties. For more information about the security of your information, read our Privacy Policy at https://www.paypal.com/privacy. Replies to this email will not be processed.

Copyright© 2004 PayPal, Inc. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective ow
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
I read a problem on the US PS Board where some caution should be exercised if someone is planning to use the Pay It Now feature of PayPal on your listings.

Apparently if you are running a BIN listing, you could actually have someone use the BIN link on eBay and someone else use PayPal's Pay It Now link on your listing and have 2 people purchase your one item.

Here is the link to the discussion: http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.jsp?forum=76&thread=410093915&modifed=20040409210634
Check out comments 8 thru 12

Malcolm

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

aa-surplus
Community Member
Hi all,

this problem that amberwoodottawa is talking about I would really like to here what randal has to say as he seems to be on top of things as this one really worries me.

anyone out here had this problem with the buy it now??

Regards,

aasurplus
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

rd1000
Community Member
We definitely do not get treated as well as the Americans. We pay a lot more to use Paypal than our US counterparts. For instance:

1. We get charged 50 cents to deposit in our account, US does not.

2. If a Canadian purchases an auction and makes a payment in US dollars, Paypal does the conversion (at the highest retail rate) and charges the buyer's card in Canadian dollars. Then when you deposit to your account they do the conversion again and profit twice.

3. If you try to get around it by having the Canadian buyer pay in Canadian funds, Paypal has it covered. They just charge 0.5% higher percentage for a deposit in Canadian funds, plus 25 cents more for the transaction fee. I can almost understand the higher transaction fee because it is $0.55 Canadian dollars vice $0.30 US dollars, but why the higher percentage. The percentage is already being applied against a higher dollar amount. It is just one more kick in the face to Canadian users.

I do not have a problem with Paypal fees in general. It is a cost we pay for a service. It is the gouging of Canadians that really bothers me.

I am encouraging my customers to use email money transfers. I am even thinking of a way to apply a discount to buyers to help cover any fee they may incur.

Just my 2 cents worth. (5 cents to Paypal)
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

deltone
Community Member
I know it's not for everyone but I avoid all that BS by having a US based bank account for all my Paypal transactions and I get treated as fairly as our American counterparts that way. No way I was going to put myself in a position where I was going to be paying those ridiculous extra fees charged for Canadian accounts.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

llee2
Community Member
Ditto here with the US based account. I've opened up a Charter One account in Michigan. If you are close to the border, consider making a trip across to open one up.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

deltone
Community Member
Yep, or even if you're on vacaction in the states. It's not a problem opening an account even when you live in Canada. Was the best thing I did because prior to that there was no way I was going to accept Paypal with all the extras in charges. My margin is shrinking enough as it is.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply