My wife is makig me buy a church .... LOL

Seriously my wife is really making me put an offer on a church that she wants me to gut and reno to turn into a house ... It is in the town I grew up in Larder Lake which is a very nice community surrounded by lake ...

I feel wierd buying a church to turn into a house but your talking $55k for roughly 2800 sq ft and the biggest room in 46 by 20 ft  with 2 full bath and 2 half baths ...

So much potential but i don't think she realizes that it will take me about 5 years to turn it into a home.. I you care to look copy and paste the bottom link....

I feel very very weird as I am a non believer and never have been it's just seems strange but there is alot not on the listing like it comes with a backyard you actually end up owning part of a mountain which when i was a kid was called Church hill "Clever or what"

Called to put an offer for full asking price but there is a counter offer on the table which i hope gets countered so  i can steel it away ... My house I bought paid 80k is now worth 150k so I could pa for church be morgage free and have roughly 30k for renos...

6 people looking at it today ... finger crossed or should i prey 😉

http://www.realtor.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?&PropertyId=13051079&PidKey=-822393289

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: My wife is makig me buy a church .... LOL

"she wants me to gut and reno to turn into a house ."

No problem.  You have often stated in previous posts that you have all the time in the world! 🙂

Is your wife aware of your time availability between your shifts, your eBay business, taking time with the family, etc... ?

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

snikrep2010
Community Member

Wow! Nice! It already has a kitchen and bathroom so it is possible to live in it as is, and renovate whenever. Looks like a great place to raise kids.

Good luck to you. I hope you get it. 

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

No my wife doesn't at all but I made sure she knew it would take me a long time to reno it into a house a very long time ..

The only thing we want it for is because the of the size because to get rooms that big in a house in my area would have me paying 350,400k..

I don't know she wants to live here and reno there but i am hoping the person takes the counter offer so it can be forgotten to much work but would be very much worth my money just not enough time ..

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

I have seen many churches (and old firehalls), in Winnipeg, re-developed to create a single or multiple residence....

into condos.... an example

(1) Not exactly a traditional structure, but still unique as a church 

(2) Appears to have a bell tower?   could be a unique office space

(3) Interior finish is simple....Large room can be subdivided.

(4) Church pews still present?

(5) The windows... anything unique?

(6) the main floor of the church appears to be level, not  sloped to the original "front" of the church.. No renovation required here

(7) Bathtub/shower?

Very important.... Obtain an estimate of property tax....  churches are exempt???

Knowing the underlying structural integrity of the building would be important... looks to have been built on a Rock-solid base

The church would be a great place for your business....

Believe it or not... I have thought about  ... What would I do?

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

Buying a church is one way to get you to go to church every day, LOL. Is your wife a believer and trying to state something ever so subtly?

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

The description provides many answers.

Great potential...

very close to being livable right now....

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

Church pews are gone... 

Nothing Unique with windows

Yes to bathtub and shower

Lots to look into but will await the phone call today to see if we can get it..

It truly has alot of potential and i would put roughly 30-50k of renos and with the market there right now I would easily come out with 200k plus if I decided to sell after work was done..

Solid Foundation and all very sturdy and level .. old but lots of life in the tin roof.... electrical unknown but no biggie there I did my house now and just paid an inspector to come give me the green light..Heating I am sure will be expensive as I ay about 2k a year to heat my house now with propane but I would also have an energy test done and take advantage of the goverment funding and save a coulple K on renos to help with heating bills..

I am excited but already exhausted knowing all the work I will have to do ..

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

I think you are nuts. The Mrs and I have been back and forth on what to buy. We will be PierreVille next Wed and Thursday. My house in Winnipeg has sold. We did one visit in Feb. Now we think we have an idea of what we are doing.

Full-on reno is out. I'm told old and too smart. A completely done house is like moving into someone's rec room. I don't like.

Gonna look at this place in Wellington:

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=13007401&PidKey=1271994563

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

In Wellington, you are only a few minutes away from West Lake

http://westlakewillywaterpark.com/

and Sandbanks http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/sand.html 

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

...and ten minute drive to Bloomfield for the best ice cream in Ontario:

http://www.slickersicecream.com/ 

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

Well, Pierre, the Mrs is looking at working in either Belleville or Trenton. Wellington is the same distance from both. Prince Edward County is certainly up and coming.

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

The Church Restaurant....the most expensive restaurant in Stratford, ON.

http://www.churchrestaurant.com/index.php

I know a family who came to Stratford from Larder Lake but that would have been before you were born brand.

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

Do you recall there last names..

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

Did it sell Brande ?

Message 15 of 31
latest reply

Booooooooooooooooo

and yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

other peoples offer was accepted so I don't get it but then again i won't spend the next 5 years renovating just have to spend a couple 100k that I don't have for a house that big now lol...

Just gonna wait and find the diamond in the rough.. I always enjoyed Renos so I like to buy cheap and do the work

I bought my first house when i was 20 paid 17k when all said and done ... sold it for $122k

made over 100k .. not so lucky with my second house or my 3rd for that matter but i don't like paying for peoples time which is why i made sure i knew how to do it all ...

good at all master of none .. .. anyways boo for me ...

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

Looks like a very nice area.

Wonder what the new owners plans are.

I agree, looks like it has a lot of potential.

Of course the big decision is " How much money do we put into it & will we still make a profit."

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

Sorry you didn't get the church.  I'm sure your wife is disappointed too.

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

Ya my wife was in tears ... See we moved to where we are for my job .. There is nothing here and my wife hates it so to move to Larder Lake where our best friends live was like a dream for her but I am very cautious about what we buy in the area because the mines drive the markets here and if nobody else has noticed Gold is dropping out like crazy right now...

O well time to keep a look out for another diamond in the rough... i have till next summer to have us out of this town so gotta keep looking.. 

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

That 4000 square foot waterfront property in town sure looks nice Brande.

No renos required, just move in.

Of course you would probably have to increase your sales a hundred times.

Message 20 of 31
latest reply