NEWS FOR CROSS BORDER SHIPPERS

jenzaka
Community Member
Recently, when crossing the border to mail E-bay packages via the USA I was informed of some new rules that apparently will be implemented as of January 1st.
On the RAINBOW BRIDGE (Niagara Falls, Ontario) I was told by an agent that no commercial items will be allowed crossing at that particular bridge. This would be regardless of value and applies even if you have appropriate paperwork. You will be refused crossing and will be re-routed to the QUEENSTON/LEWISTON bridge.
On the QUEENSTON/LEWISTON bridge I was told that as of January 1st, we will be required to use the truck lanes, being forced to wait for hours (sometimes) just to cross.
I have no information on the PEACE BRIDGE and therefore don't know where that particular bridge stands in the situation.
Has anyone else encountered this information? Can any of you confirm its validity? I assume that it will be implemented since both of the statements came from actual customs agents.....but you never know.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

u-deserv-it
Community Member
so this means what? even MORE slower service?!?!? greeaaaaaat-nice way to start off the new year...
Kat
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

You have to use the trucker's lane when crossing the Bluewater Bridge in Sarnia. 2 out of 3 times you are faced with a Customs official that insists you should hire a Customs Broker to clear your items. One out of three will tell you that you are doing something wrong and comes up with a new demand.
Latest news is that in 2-3 months, you will have to email your information before even attempting to cross.

I can't take the stress. I send someone to do it for me.
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

jewelz4le$$
Community Member
Would having a Nexus card help?
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

jenzaka
Community Member
I don't know this for sure, but I thought that nexus cards were for commuters only. I don't think you are allowed to bring ANY goods, commercial or otherwise when using nexus.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

taxi
Community Member
You should use Canada post for all of your shipments. I have been doing this for year with zero problems.
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
taxi... your success with Canada Post should be congratulated however many of us that sell considerably more have encountered many difficulties in dealing with the corporation. You should not so readily promote Canada Post without a better understanding of the problems that exist. I have been using Canada Post for more than six years of selling on eBay and I can assure you that I have had my fair share of problems.

Many Canadian eBay sellers are abandoning Canada Post for a variety of reasons. Poor service, exorbitant prices, frequent rate increases, inconsistent application of rates by retail outlets and poor responsiveness to claims are just a few of the problems that exist. Many sellers that live close to the border have enjoyed substantial benefits by being able to "pop across" and post directly into USPS. This thread was started by a seller who obviously finds that it is in her interests to ship to her customers by USPS. The thread has to do with changes being made by US Customs Services.

If you have comments to make regarding border crossings everyone would welcome them. The OP was not complaining about her choice in shipping services.

Bill treasure-pot

Bill

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
No, Nexus is not for use with commercial goods.

Yes you are now required to make entry with commercial goods ONLY at Lewiston or the Peace Bridge in the commercial lanes. I've always seen the signs at Rainbow saying no commercial trucks for as long as I can remember.

I think we've been lucky to get through there with goods because technically whether it's an 18 wheeler or a Mini, it's still a commercial entry. Can't do it anymore. I'm hoping it's a good thing. This way at least *maybe* the person in the booth won't be dispensing wrong info. Presumably they'll be familiar with what actually is and is not required.

When I've crossed in the personal lanes with goods I've had varying results and lots of conflicting info. When I've used the commercial lanes, zero problems. If you time it right, you'll sail through no problem! I like it on the weekends in the summer when others wait for hours to cross and in the commercial lane you just sail through. WooHoo! I chuckle when people beep at me as I drive in that lane. LOL But I have seen truck lines where you could probably read War & Peace cover to cover. 😮 Timing. Learn busy and not so busy times. Avoid the busy times.

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction!
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
Here's info to study.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/times/menu-e.html

There's even a Wireless Portal. You should also get the 1-800# posted on the highway for border traffic info. Call it at various times to learn some basic traffic habits. Yes, things vary but there are patterns.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I've always seen the signs at Rainbow saying no commercial trucks for as long as I can remember.

The sign or at least a similar one has been there since at least 1978.
"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
Yep! That's the one. We always made trips to the Falls since I was little. I don't ever remember a time not seeing that sign there.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply