NON REFUNDABLE SHIPPING COSTS WHEN ITEM RETURNED TO SELLER

I am in Canada and have bought items from the US and unfortunately when received they have been damaged or not as described.  I contacted the sellers and was refunded the cost of the item but not shipping costs. If the seller wants the item returned the shipping and handling costs are also at my expense.

I do agree that if I want to return an item just because I don't like the look of it I should not be refunded shipping costs. However, if the item is damaged or not as described by the seller I don't understand why the buyer is not refunded the full amount paid, including shipping and handling costs. As is often the case now shipping costs can be double if not triple the cost of the actual item purchased. I have found that it would end up costing more to return the item than what I would be refunded.

I'm hoping someone could explain this as it doesn't seem fair to the buyer at all.

DMH

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

NON REFUNDABLE SHIPPING COSTS WHEN ITEM RETURNED TO SELLER

if the item is damaged or not as described by the seller I don't understand why the buyer is not refunded the full amount paid, including shipping and handling costs.

Because people lie.

Buyers are not perfect either, and some twits will damage items deliberately to get a refund. Some will say there is damage when the real reason is buyer's remorse.

Requiring the return of the item at the buyer's expense is a way of controlling these nasty types.

Also, in cases where PP gets involved, PP cannot and will not refund money they never touched. So they will refund the original payment, which they handled, but not the return shipping which is out of their control.

From time to time, we do hear of eBay/PP sending an unhappy buyer a USPS shipping label. I'm not sure if this also happens in Canada.

You have 60 days to leave feedback. The most effective feedback is calm and factual. At the same time you will be asked to leave Detailed Seller Ratings. The normal Rating is 5 stars. The lowest Rating is ONE STAR. No stars is a free pass.

If a seller's DSRs drop below 4.3, his ability to list is restricted, the number and value of items he can list is restricted, his fees may rise, and he may be removed from the site. 

None of which gets your money back, of course.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply