Need a help with return request

Good morning need a help how to handle return request from a customer from USA.The customer asked me to pay for return shipping on tote that doesnt match his previous Luggage set.He stated that is a different colour and do not match the description.Of course this model its completely different from what he have and we never said that he could match the tote with his luggage.eBay will aks us to pay for return shipping .What are my options? I will really appreciate your help.Its so confusing

Message 1 of 113
latest reply
112 REPLIES 112

Can you tell us more?

Assuming that less than 30 days have passed and it is still within the Money Back Guarantee time?

Is it clear in the message that he is asking you to pay return postage costs on an item that is as described and is therefore a remorse return? Like clear enough for even ebay Customer Service to understand? Did the message come via ebay Messages? Is this a formal Return request?

What is the item number? 

What does his Feedback Left for Others say?

This is one of those he said/she said areas where you are at the mercy of ebay Customer Service to take your side. 

Message 2 of 113
latest reply

282185702001 this is the item .the customer has 30 days to return the item.On this he is on frame time.Problem is that this is Beverly  Ricardo Hills California 2.0 and he tried to match with Ricardo Beverly Hills Santa Cruz 5.0.He stated that the colors are different and they do not match.He opened the return request that "Doesn't match description or photos".He had left a good feedback for others. The only one problem is that he asked me to pay the return shipping cost.

Message 3 of 113
latest reply

I think that it's clear he bought the wrong item by mistake. But since he's already opened a case incorrectly, I think you need to call eBay Customer Service to show them that. The buyer's mistake is not a SNAD. But eBay won't care unless you force them to look at that.
Message 4 of 113
latest reply

I called them and they said that in this case the buyer need to pay the return shipping,but i need to call them back Friday

Message 5 of 113
latest reply

Okay, good. That makes sense.

What are they telling you to do with the Return? Communicate that to the buyer?
Message 6 of 113
latest reply

yesi already  sent the message to the buyer

Message 7 of 113
latest reply

Good. What's the reason they instructed you to call back on Friday? Is that a deadline for this stage of the Return? Are you supposed to call back to remind them that the Return isn't really SNAD and the buyer is paying Return shipping charges.
Message 8 of 113
latest reply

yes
Message 9 of 113
latest reply

That was a good question because you may want to accept the return but not the conditions.

That is, you shouldn't have to pay return shipping although you may want to accept the return and as far as I know the system has no option to do that.

Message 10 of 113
latest reply

That's what I wondered. I don't have enough hands-on experience with Returns to know whether it's available as an option: to accept a request but deny the specifics on return shipping. I shared the link with ebay's Guide to Returns a few weeks ago but I don't have it at my fingertips right now.
Message 11 of 113
latest reply

Here it is but unless I am mistaken, it doesn't quite cover this scenario: http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/return-process.html

As to the oft-discussed problem of how to provide a Return Label for international customers (which I realize does not apply in this case) look what ebay says it can do if it has to step in and refund the buyer directly because the seller isn't cooperating: 

• If you don't issue a refund within 6 business days of receiving a returned item, we may ask PayPal to reverse the buyer's payment for the refund amount. If you don't have sufficient funds in your PayPal account to cover the refund, we may give the buyer the refund and include the refund amount on your seller invoice as a fee, payable through your automatic payment method on file.

So OBVIOUSLY if they can step in to do this, they should also be able to step in to purchase and print an international Return label for us if we cannot since it is outside our country of residence. This is a problem that ebay created and ebay should be able to fix. If they were willing. And add it to our monthly fees. Voila. Problem solved. 

Message 12 of 113
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Here it is but unless I am mistaken, it doesn't quite cover this scenario

That's true; in fact I'd say it doesn't cover this scenario at all.  From the start eBay's returns policy has never specifically addressed a scenario where there may be disagreement between buyer and seller over whether the item is SNAD or not.  So sellers end up having to involve CS.  In fairness, I don't know how such a situation could possibly be automated.  There are some instances where humans judgment is still required. 

Of course, if a buyer admits to making a mistake in purchasing an item, the return/refund policy falls back on the seller's own terms of sale, a good reason to stipulate them clearly in a listing.   

As for the return shipping labels, well, just like many other procedures on eBay, it was designed with U.S. sellers and buyers in mind.  It's a messy system for non-U.S. sellers, but I honestly can't see eBay wanting to get involved in providing international shipping labels.  If they did it for one country's sellers, they'd have to do it for most, which would become a very time-consuming, staffing-intensive and hence expensive undertaking.  I think we Canadian sellers are stuck with trusting buyers to purchase labels with our money, unless Canada Post comes up with some brilliant alternative. 

To respond to the OP's issue directly, likely the reason CS agreed with him that he does not have to pay for return shipping, despite the buyer's SNAD claim, was because his listing description was clear and precise -- a cautionary tale for all of us. 

Message 13 of 113
latest reply

Also helpful is that the buyer was clear he was trying to match his item to the something this item never claimed to be. 

Message 14 of 113
latest reply

Gee whiz, I googled the two luggage sets and they look NOTHING alike. I'm not understanding how the buyer would have expected one to match the other. Unless he flat-out forgot what the one he had looked like or didn't look at the clear photo of yours. Good grief. They could not be more dissimilar. 

Message 15 of 113
latest reply

Mistaken happened but why i should pay for this? I didnt do nothing wrong .And eBay dont give us the right automaticly to accept the return but to point that the buyer pays return shipping.They need to start to thing how to help sellers too.So far eBay told me that i have seller protection.But so far there was 3 cases that they say the same thing and then i paid for it.

Message 16 of 113
latest reply

"Doesn't match the description"  is not the same as "Doesn't match the rest of the luggage"  but you may have to contact eBay again more than once over this so that the bots don't automatically rule in the buyers favor.  You should not have to pay their return shipping according to eBay's own policy because it is the same thing as a sweater that doesn't fit only this is a piece of luggage that doesn't  "fit" the rest of the set.  Make sure eBay sees the email exchange that show nothing is wrong with the item and its only a color preference that the buyer doesn't like. 

Message 17 of 113
latest reply

What means SNAD ?

Message 18 of 113
latest reply

Sorry!

SNAD = Significantly Not As Described

Message 19 of 113
latest reply