Neen advise with shipping charges

From some time I’m trying to offer best rates for shipping. For US and International (I live in Canada) I find the good resolution (Small Packet from Canada Post and insurance from Insuremail. com approx... $10.00-$15.00 for $100 value total)

I don’t have any idea how to deal with shipping across Canada. The lowest price for register mail is around $14.00….lots of buyers asking for regular mail rate and  I send few weeks ago few old coins/banknotes by regular mails and I have 3 complains “item not received” from buyers …. Any good advice for that problem?

Mark

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Neen advise with shipping charges

all parcels in canada have a tracking number,.lettermail doesnt.
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

yes, you have right but the cheapest regular parcel with tracking# (28 cm by 18 cm by 1 cm - weight 0.12 kg) from Ontario to Alberta (example) cost $13.77 and for lots of buyers that price is "soooo high' ....

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I just thinking ,, Ebay or PayPal should not accepted claims"item not receive"  from buyers who choose consciously standard shipping delivery without tracking #....

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

"Ebay or PayPal should not accepted claims"item not receive"  from buyers who choose consciously standard shipping delivery without tracking #...."

???

eBay or PayPal have little to do with this,

In law, it is the seller's responsibility to get the goods to the buyer.  Period.

If the buyer claims the goods have not been received, and paid with a credit card (for example), the buyer simply needs to make a claim with the credit card issuer (bank) to get a full refund.

Selling by mail has existed for hundreds of years.  Nothing new. From the beginning, sellers have always accepted responsibility for losses and damages while in transit (despite disclaimers to the contrary by some sellers in their listings).  Overall, there will always be a small percentage of losses and it is generally accounted for in the gross margin of the sellers - just like "brick and mortar" merchants add 1% or 2% to their prices to cover pilferage and shoplifting.

All mail order sellers (eBay and elsewhere) have the option to offer lower or higher shipping costs.  Higher shipping costs will result in fewer sales.  It is that simple.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Oh well , so as per Law ,Canada Post should have full responsibility also for lettermails ?
In my understandig the Law should be like that for example : if I buy something on Ebay and i choose the cheapest delivery methode without insurance and tracking # for $3.00 i cannot complain after few weeks to Ebay/PayPal or credit card company and expect full refund from seller . It been my choice pay only $3 for standard shipping and I should take responsibility for that . Few weeks ago I bought coin for $50 and I choose standard shipping for $5... I know , if I will complain to Ebay " item not receive" i will get full refund and coin for free. Im not doing something like this but how many people on Ebay doing scam like that ? I think lot of buyers.....
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

You basically just talking about your own feeling towards how it should be and trust me your not alone but what pierre wrote is what it is ...

If you want everything to be Trackable and profitable and still make sales you need to go for small high end high profit items so you absorb the shipping and make a penny..

Basically somethings are not meant to sell online and the further we go the less stuff is meant to be sold online as prices of everything increase....

Your not alone in your thoughts but at the end of the day it is what it is ... I take losses alot more then most and I am not exactly sure why but it's all part of selling on here ... I am adjusting to the time and shooting for new beginning in 2015 with 100% trackable goods with a commercial account with Canada post making Expedited shipping Much cheaper then paypal and normal rates at Canada post... 

Have fun and figure it out and sometimes it's painful but maybe you need to drop a good chunk of your inventory or up the price to self insure or just shipping with Tracking and try to make the sale by Advertising Fast,Reliable,Trackable shipping

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@brandeentertainment wrote:

Your not alone in your thoughts but at the end of the day it is what it is ... I take losses alot more then most and I am not exactly sure why but it's all part of selling on here ... I am adjusting to the time and shooting for new beginning in 2015 with 100% trackable goods with a commercial account with Canada post making Expedited shipping Much cheaper then paypal and normal rates at Canada post... 

do you want to share how many pkgs per month you send and what discount? I am at 150-200+ per month with about 80% going to the US. I haven't bothered with CP for a commercial account  figuring I was too small. 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

The amount of Canadian parcel per year have be 750 or more and they can close the account at anytime if they see fit so if you go 3 summer months barely shipping anything and even though in oct,nov,dec you will send out 800 in those 3 months they can close your account based on the slow months assuming your not going to hold up your part of the deal ...

For the US it is only 100 or 150 parcels a year but you need to have that 750 Canadian parcels to even get an account..

i hit the yearly US numbers in about 6 weeks no problem but for me it is the Canadian one that is an issue because I do over 750 per year but I have slow months so I am going to shoot for 2015 once my store is converted to a parcel only store well Mostly parcels only....

The more you sell the more you save ,, If you ship 10,000 parcels a year there is an even bigger discount to be had ...

Something that cost me nearly $10-$11 to ship Expedited only cost about $7 with the commercial account

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

The lowest price for register mail is around $14.00

Don't use Registered Mail.

Paypal does not recognize it as an electronically visible tracked service . (I know, crazy.)

Use ExpressPost or  Expedited Parcel or even Priority Post. They are visible to Paypal.

The only reason for using tracked services (Paypal actually only asks for Delivery Confirmation, signature for purchases over $250 including shipping cost) is in case you have to prove that an item was delivered to Paypal or be forced to refund the buyer's payment.

I believe that most of your items (high value coins) would not be covered by postal insurance. I assume that is why you are using a third party insurer.

If your items were much cheaper, I would be advocating self-insurance, but not in your price range.

I am actually surprised that someone spending over $1000 for an item would quibble about the cost of secure shipping. But ... coin collectors are.... well, I deal with philatelists. Different strokes.

Frankly, if this is a constant problem, I would suggest moving to "Free Shipping", which means including the cost of shipping in the asking price of the item, then shipping by whatever service is most secure and prompt. Low or no added shipping cost is the norm with philatelic sellers and is appreciated by collectors.

If it is a very occasional problem, you should have a boilerplate polite message that says" I am sorry that you did not notice the cost of shipping to (buyer's location). This cost is not negotiable. However, if you wish to cancel the transaction, there will be no problem." Then put him on your Blocked Bidder List whether he pays up or not.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@brandeentertainment wrote:

The amount of Canadian parcel per year have be 750 or more and they can close the account at anytime if they see fit so if you go 3 summer months barely shipping anything and even though in oct,nov,dec you will send out 800 in those 3 months they can close your account based on the slow months assuming your not going to hold up your part of the deal ...

For the US it is only 100 or 150 parcels a year but you need to have that 750 Canadian parcels to even get an account..

i hit the yearly US numbers in about 6 weeks no problem but for me it is the Canadian one that is an issue because I do over 750 per year but I have slow months so I am going to shoot for 2015 once my store is converted to a parcel only store well Mostly parcels only....

The more you sell the more you save ,, If you ship 10,000 parcels a year there is an even bigger discount to be had ...

Something that cost me nearly $10-$11 to ship Expedited only cost about $7 with the commercial account

thanks for the info. that would be a huge savings. Unfortunately I don't think I hit the 750 for Canada but will check. Was the discount for the US similar? US is killing me if I ship with tracking.  

Who do you contact for this as well, just their 1 800 number and did you negotiate that or was it a standard discount. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

yeah just call there 1800 number and tell them you want to speak with someone about opening a commercial account

Message 12 of 12
latest reply