New Ebay Policy Timing Is All Wrong

tokengamer
Community Member
i think these new policies couldn't have come at a worse time for ebay.

with a pending recession in the US (that can take many other countries down with it), rising gas prices and rising food prices the average buyer has less and less discretionary income to spend outside of the necessities of life. not to mention the fact that well paying full time jobs with benefits are quickly becoming low paying part time jobs with no benefits. all of this leads to less money for buyers to spend.

at least sellers have some kind of loyalty to ebay, albeit a love hate relationship. ebay is getting into bed with buyers that are here today and gone tomorrow.

sellers are starting to turn their backs on ebay and the purchasing power of buyers is dwindling.

if you were running this gong show, who would you rather be in bed with?
Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

lina-mallows
Community Member
I am always amazed by the us, and them, nature of eBay.
SELLER vs BUYER, BUYER vs SELLER, SELLER vs eBay.

We became sellers- and pretty much spend everything we make selling on eBay, buying other items on eBay- and then some.
So- at the end of the day, we do actually buy far more than we sell.

At present, this is definitely a buyer's market.
HOWVER- I find myself running into more, and more, difficult sellers. There is something profoundly wrong when a seller (400+ STAR) refuses to accept a PayPal payment directing the item sent to the CONFIRMED Address. Or a seller (that does not accept PayPal- which is their right) who files a NON-PAYING BIDDER ALERT (11,000+ STAR)- and a REGISTERED MAIL number is sent as proof that the payment has been sent.

So, rather than waiting for the payment- which was positively sent- this seller closed the dispute to get their final value fees- and proceeded to relist the item- refusing to wait for a REGISTERED MAIL payment- and upon receipt of the payment- REFUSED to accept it!
(The item sold for about half of what I was willing to pay (AND DID!!!). So if the seller got greedy, and thought they could get more- they were sadly mistaken. I really, really, really wanted the item- that's why I went to the expense of sending the payment by REGISTERED MAIL a C$13+ expense!!! simply to be able to prove that the payment was sent, and I was serious. The seller could not care less!)

All the non-selling seller complaints were filed- and BOTH strikes against us were removed by eBay!
IF PROOF OF DELIEVRY IS REQUIRED FOR A SELLER-
I OPTED FOR REGISTERED MAIL TO PROVE MY PAYMENT WAS SENT !!!!!
(eBay/PayPal agreed with me- and removed the non-payment strike)

But why should I have to go to such lengths to get a seller to sell?

Has eBay's new policy programme, so shell shocked sellers, that they would would rather not sell, then risk any type of retaliation?
And how can NOT ACCEPTING a payment sent by REGISTERED MAIL- or REFUSING to send an item directed to a CONFIRMED PayPal ADDRESS be anything less than sterling behavior, well deserving of NEGATIVE FEEDBACK? It's as if these sellers are daring you (as a buyer) to retaliate!

If this is the case, it will not be long before eBay will become but a shadow of its former self.
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

tokengamer
Community Member
i agree with you when you say it's a buyers market.

i think the unrealistic expectations of many new buyers is a result of ebay's recent marketing campaign. the TV commercials that show people getting things instantly like pulling a guitar out of an iced over lake.

ebay has been advertising instant satisfaction/gratification when the very nature of the system does not even entertain that idea. they are setting up expectations that they can't live up to and are trying to get sellers to make up for the shortfall. unfortunately, even the best sellers can't do that because it's impossible but ebay continues to blame sellers for their own inability to rationalize.
Message 3 of 3
latest reply