New UserID

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
Just formally announcing that I finally changed my eBay userid to resemble more closely my registered business name.

Didnt want people panicking thinking that there were 2 Malcolms now on the boards.

Malcolm
Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

New UserID

shoplineca
Community Member
Sorry, I hadnt re-signed into eBay PS Board. New name is shoplineca (formally amberwoodottawa).

Malcolm
Message 2 of 25
latest reply

New UserID

jaymor8
Community Member
I wanna do that too. I guess we don't think so much in the future when we start out and therefore don't put much thought into our IDs. I hate mine. 😞 Need some tips on a new one 🙂

Jackie...
Message 3 of 25
latest reply

New UserID

muminlaw
Community Member
Sheesh Jackie -- I can't see anything wrong with jaymor8 -- try living with "muminlaw". That dates back to the early days of BBS's (before the www!!!!!) when my favorite SIL first got me online. (The BBS was called "FunnyFarm" and the sysop [a super guy] died fairly recently.) Anyhow, I never thought past that -- I just haven't quite dared the change for fear of losing people who know me by that stupid ID. For some unexplained reason, John likes it! I'd prefer something a little more descriptive, but ... would our customers find us??

Glenda

PS -- Malcolm, we'll be waiting to hear how the change affects your sales ... if it does??!!!

Glenda

Click here to go to my Store
Message 4 of 25
latest reply

New UserID

mevans_dot_net
Community Member
Ahhh ... a trip down memory lane. I used to get on the BBS's back in the late 80's/early 90's. I had a 286 with a 2400 baud modem back then!
Message 5 of 25
latest reply

New UserID

ospreylinks
Community Member
Good luck with the new ID Malcolm.

I have changed mine a few times as when we started out I just registered as my email address and kept this for a couple of years. It just invited tons and tons of spam and then those spoof emails by the hundreds.

When we have changed our name it did not affect volumes either positive or negative.

And remember, when you change your user ID, if someone searches for you under your old name, they can find you for 30 days.

Jeff
Message 6 of 25
latest reply

New UserID

deltone
Community Member
I have to admit it confused me when I saw a different thread (re the idiot buyer) and I looked at your auction and saw a different id. Now I understand. LOL

I chose my name back in 98.....a combination of my two youngest kid's names........Daughter is DELcia, and son is TONy. DELTONE. lol
Message 7 of 25
latest reply

New UserID

ospreylinks
Community Member
I thought maybe it was an 60's Motown band....

The Deltone's.... has a nice ring to it....

Jeff

PS - Ospreylinks is the name of my Golf Course.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

New UserID

muminlaw
Community Member
And Jeff, are we safe to assume that bird was chosen because you have a few of them around there?

You're right -- the Deltones would be a super name for a band!

Mevans - I can't remember if I had upgraded to a 286 by then or not (I might have still been using my TRS80 Model III) but a 2400 bps modem was state of the art! Ooooohhh, that makes me feel old!!!!

Glenda

Glenda

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

New UserID

shooger
Community Member
This was my wife's account originally (she got the first 3 feedback) and then I took over, selling stuff. It took off, and now she still bids on stuff from time to time, but primarily it's mine. "shooger" is my nickname for her so that's why she called her account that. I have never thought of changing it - I think it's simple and easy to recognize. 🙂
Message 10 of 25
latest reply

New UserID

shoplineca
Community Member
I knew nothing about eBay 1 1/2 years ago. Never ventured onto the site and after considerable coaxing from my son, I ventured on, found something I wanted to purchase and had to come up with a user id so I combined my street and city names(wow, really brilliant).

A month later we decided to sell through eBay and rather than trying to figure out a new userid kept the one we had and kept telling clients it was for security reasons (Ya, right).

I am always asked for my business cards which show Shopline but not my eBay userid. In fact it is nowhere to be found except on eBay, not even in my letters to clients.

The change certainly wont hurt my sales and I will likely get the repeat business I love to have.

Oh the talk of BBS. I go all the way back to Fortran programming in 1967-1969. What is truly silly is over the years I became very conversant in all sorts of main frame programming language, very familiar with many mainframe systems as well as PCs when they first came onto the market.

I no longer care to enhance my old skills which are totally obsolete and rely on my 19 year old son and partner to do all the HTML and Flash etc. despite his valiant attempts at wanting to teach me.

I just figure the minute I learn, it will all change again just like all the other computer programming languages I became so familiar with over the last 35 or so years.

Malcolm

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

New UserID

ospreylinks
Community Member
Osprey Links.... yes we have a live Osprey nest on the property (they have young every second year and they usually build their nests on the top of old hydro poles as is the case with our Osprey).

The second part Links, is the type of course our front nine is... links style.

Jeff

PS it is neat to hear how people came up with their user id's, some pretty neat stories out there.
Message 12 of 25
latest reply

New UserID

mevans_dot_net
Community Member
My user ID is just my first initial and last name - Michelle Evans. Only thing is that people call it Meevans (stressing the "e"). Sounds strange to me.

Malcom, you reminded me of when I worked for a company just about 3 years ago. The still used an old VAX mainframe. I came home and told my husband and turns out he did his thesis on VAX in school back in '87 - he wrote code to emmulate an ATM machine.
Message 13 of 25
latest reply

New UserID

muminlaw
Community Member
"I just figure the minute I learn, it will all change again"

Not only will it change again, but once you know how to do it, YOU have to do it! This way, your son does it and you get to do other stuff -- sounds like a fair division of responsibility to me...

Glenda

Glenda

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

New UserID

shoplineca
Community Member
I gave up on learning new computer skills the day Windows 95 was released. I loved the complexities of programming before and now I am spoiled.

Same thing with photography. I used to use 35 mm cameras where there wasnt anything automatic about them, I had my own dark room and did my own B&W developing. Then came all the automatic gadgets (self-focussing etc) and now digital.

No longer do I rely on light meters or anything else, not even my old skills, just point and shoot. And whatever doesnt look quite right, fix it up on the computer with one of 15 different programs we have.

Life is so much simpler and yet so much more complicated with less time to enjoy it than before. I just dont understand it at all.

Malcolm

Message 15 of 25
latest reply

New UserID

fenian
Community Member
Just a note re "The Deltones"........I'm likely dating myself as a '60s rocker, but has everyone forgotten "Dick Dale and the Deltones". Dick was the King of surf music, and recorded this stuff way before the Beach Boys. His 2 hits most likely to be remembered are "Let's Go Trippin" and "Miserlou" (which is on the Pulp Fiction movie soundtrack). .....Michael
Message 16 of 25
latest reply

New UserID

ospreylinks
Community Member
I thought there was a 60's group called the Deltones... thanks Fenian....

The Deltones, to go with my Deltosonic AM radio in my first car.

Jeff

Opps sorry, maybe it was a Delcosonic radio!!!
Message 17 of 25
latest reply

New UserID

shoplineca
Community Member
Something like this: http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Cauldron/9186/miserlou.mid

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

New UserID

shoplineca
Community Member
Sorry dead file, here's one that should work:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/6365/miserlou.mid

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

New UserID

phoenix_top_drawer
Community Member
My name has been changed as well since I first started, but for the life of me I can't remember what I started as. Phoenix is the nickname Brad calls me. It goes back to my start on ebay and my journey ranging from barely survival to survival. He also choose Top Drawer as an image for a store. We had to sit and brainstorm for ages coming up with things like phoenix emporium, or phoenix annex...you get the idea.
It was a lot of fun.
Congratulations on your new name Malcolm.

Joanne
Message 20 of 25
latest reply