New business policies for shipping have created serious problems since late last week.

bargainhunteram
Community Member
I've spent an incredibly frustrating and non-productive few days with 3 customer services reps and a supervisor who were not only unable to assist me, but made unfulfilled promises as to how they would resolve my problems. I am in the process of trying to see if my issue has finally been rectified. However, I'd like to know for the future, if there is any way of ensuring that I speak to customer service staff that are knowledgeable and qualified to help Canadian sellers, rather than being forced to deal with the ineptness that I have encountered to date.
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

New business policies for shipping have created serious problems since late last week.

"there is any way of ensuring that I speak to customer service staff that are knowledgeable and qualified to help Canadian sellers, rather than being forced to deal with the ineptness that I have encountered to date."

Your best option is to simply ask your question on these discussion boards where many experienced sellers will assist you. Provide full details.

If your question is related to selling - ask on the selling board.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

The question is that why on earth those employees at the customer service are hired in the first place that cannot do their jobs or have full knowledge??

The customer service used to be excellent until the idiots decided to clean house and farm them out to other countries to save a few $$$$, is that worth it?  The CEO of eBay should be fired!  He didn't do a good job.  Shareholders of eBay take attention and do something about it!

Not too many would ever think of checking the boards here for advices.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Yes, most users are aware that the quality of customer service, located mainly in the Phillippines, is well below the standard we had before eBay laid off their 700 employees in the Vancouver area many years ago.

However, to conclude that the CEO is not doing his job and should be fired by the shareholders misses the mark: shareholders are happy with the current CEO.  Their shares are going up and up and up:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=EBAY+Basic+Chart&t=5y

If they were unhappy, they would sell their shares at a huge profit and invest elsewhere.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Shareholders direct the CEO to increase their ROI, nothing else. They do not care how that is done.

OP, what is your question? Perhaps we can help. We have a lot of knowledge here.
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I agree -- you would think that for all the money eBay must be making (and reports seem to indicate they're doing well), they could concentrate some effort on providing proper support, especially to sellers. 

On the other hand, if "help" service is egregiously bad, many will just stop using it and eBay will save money if they can reduce the CS staff.  The current multi-step process -- ask a question, get a phone number, wait on the line, go through a frustrating conversation with a non-English speaking person who is not knowledgeable -- seems to be designed to deliberately discourage support questions.  It used to be you could email a "ticket" if you had an issue, but those were the good old days when eBay CS was still quite effective and helpful.

This situation isn't surprising.  It's becoming a self-serve world, where many sites leave users to help other users.  I had exactly this occur recently when I had an issue with an HP product.  I challenge anyone to try to get a qualified CS person at HP to directly answer a question.  In fact, I began to doubt if such people exist at all.  

The next step I expect to see on eBay is a fully automated "Customer Service" section that re-directs users to the discussion boards if the computer can't locate an answer to their problem.  Maybe it's already in place?  I haven't checked lately because I've more or less given up on CS. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I dunno, maybe I live a charmed existence. I have always talked to a USA or Cdn eBay "Peggy". Mind you, I phone, what, 2 or 3 times a year, with a number. My Brother printer had a problem and I talked to a guy in Montreal. Redeem Aeroplan miles? Talkd to Cdns. American Express? Talked to a lady in Toronto. Paypal? Always in Nebraska. Needing a Peggy at United or Delta? Always get someone in the USA.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I guess i have lucky also.

I have been in contact four times over the years & any problems i have encountered have been taken care of by either Paypal or eBay to my satisfaction.

One thing to keep in mind when in contact is to be polite & have all your information handy.

Talking with one CSR in Utah, he mentioned eBay looks at your buying/selling record & whether you are making " Good Business Decisions."

Best to tell the truth as they have all that information on their screens.

If you happen to receive great service from a rep, ask to talk to a Supervisor & pass on a compliment to that rep for their assistance.

eBay &/or Paypal receive hunderds of complaints a day & really enjoy hearing compliments regarding a rep that goes above & beyond.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I am convinced that the more one phones, the further down the Peggy line one goes. They keep track of who phones, how often, about what, how they present themselves. That is what the Phillipino Peggy is for, the constant phoners.

I go through the customer support tab upper right corner. I narrow down my concern through their menus, get the phone number, a code. I have a specific concern, specific phone #, specific code, and I get a specific person. BOOM BABY! Up comes my name, account, all information along with how often I call, about what, what my graded attitude is.

I go right to the front of the line because I am not a problem, I have a real problem.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I agree, of course we don't need their assistance very often.

Have never had a problem with eBay or Paypal staff.

The Forums are still the first place one should come when a problem occurs.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I spoke with Mr. Peggy in the Phillipines a few days ago, the service was excellent, issue dealt with quickly and accurately.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Forgot to mention....used the Call Me function, was told 2 minutes, call came in 20 seconds, guy already had me on his screen and only had to answer one "security" question.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 12 of 12
latest reply