ebays global shipping scam

just to let all Canadian buyers know if this appears on your sellers listing or item for bid it will add between 10 and 15 percent to the cost of the item. I personally will not purchase from any ebay seller that uses this program and I make appoint of letting them know this.this program is optional for the sellers and maybe if they realize that they are losing sales they will stop using it. 

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

EBAY GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAMMING IS A SCAM.

Who collects the import duty fee? is it the seller or is it Ebay? Who then pays these import duties to the country importing these goods. Global shipping program is just but another of those scam gimmicks that adds more money to the Ebay purse.

It does not help foreign buyers to buy stuff from the USA that is a complete lie. Foreigners can still buy stuff from Ebay and have them sent to their countries without global shipping programs. And Actually over 40% of stuff sold on EBAY.COM comes from Asia and is bought into the USA, CANADA and western countries not the other way round.

Personally I will not buy any item from any retailer that has opted in for Global Shipping Program. Because very often, some Items that EBay Charges for Global Shipping, is not even import taxed and yet EBay is collecting for money for import duty. Sometimes an Item is $5.99 and ebay is charging import duty of $4.99 seriously?  that is over 80% in import for a an earing. 

SMart sellers know to opt out from the Global Shipping program. Thats all i have to say.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

"Who collects the import duty fee"

Taxes (GST/HST/PST) and duty (if applicable) are collected by Pitney Bowes on behalf of the Canadian government and remitted to CRA by Pitney-Bowes, duly registered to collect and remit taxes - for the Canadian government and many overseas governments.

Neither the seller nor eBay see the taxes collected.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

"Personally I will not buy any item from any retailer that has opted in for Global Shipping Program."

That is a good policy followed by thousands of Canadian buyers.

The program is not advantageous to most Canadian buyers in most instances.

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

@justineojuka wrote:

Who collects the import duty fee? is it the seller or is it Ebay? Who then pays these import duties to the country importing these goods. Global shipping program is just but another of those scam gimmicks that adds more money to the Ebay purse.

Why aren't people reading the terms and conditions page for buyers for the Global Shipping Program?  There are links to it on GSP listings!  All is revealed there...

http://pages.ebay.ca/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

It seems like people forgot how to read these days... they just look at pictures and $ signs and then jump to conclusions of their own. 😞

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

I will no longer buy from a USA seller who has attached Global shipping to their item. I am also letting sellers know that I buy their product but not with global shipping. Most of the low cost items I receive from USA sellers tha arrive via USPS to Canada post have no charges associated with receiving them so why would I want to pay it up front?

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

@stern525 wrote:

Most of the low cost items I receive from USA sellers tha arrive via USPS to Canada post have no charges associated with receiving them so why would I want to pay it up front?

I remember when I lived in a more remote location, I had to travel by boat to collect a package that the post office was keeping on hold until I paid the taxes and processing fee owing on it.

If that sort of thing happened more regularly and I still lived in the baka beyond, I'd probably give serious consideration to paying taxes and other charges up front.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

i was wondering why everything seemed to have gone up in price.
hope more american sellers realize this. i'm not buying much these cause the shipping makes it not worth it to.
Message 9 of 25
latest reply

All I know is without the GSP we usually don't have to pay fees. I ordered two pairs of sneakers, which were for some reason sent separately in two different packages, I didn't have to pay any taxes on either of them. Why should I have to pay up front? Isn't this the customs job or postal service job or government, not Ebay or Pitney Bowes? Seems illegal, and people are upset, something needs to change!

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

By the way, GSP charges more than what Canada Post would charge, it's much higher by comparison. Please don't buy anything with the GSP included, it's a rip off, and it takes longer to get your item too. Do they know that if the item is made in USA we don't have to pay the duties and taxes? They still charge taxes and duties? It's not for ebay or pitney bowes to decide, its the local postal service, duh!

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

I heard ebay gets a tax break every year, big businesses don't have to pay taxes, only small poor businesses do. Wouldn't taking from rich people for taxes make sense, make money for the state/province/country? Nobody should get a tax break, sounds illegal to me, should be! Makes me sick!

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

By the way, GSP charges more than what Canada Post would charge, it's much higher by comparison.

Since PB doesn't give a break down of the charges it's possible that's true in some cases but when Canada Post has to collect tax and duty, their service charge is always $9.95. I've seen quite a few GSP listings that have less than $4 for a service charge.

Do they know that if the item is made in USA we don't have to pay the duties and taxes? They still charge taxes and duties? It's not for ebay or pitney bowes to decide, its the local postal service, duh!

You're right about the duty but taxes are still payable regardless of where an item was made. It's not for Canada Post to decide how much or when to charge. If customs decides that the package should have taxes and duty, the post office collects it. And PB just follows the guidelines that the Canadian government has set.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Has anyone seen reports if sales from the US to Canada have declined sense this program has come out..

I personally still by from the states I just ask seller to change it and if not find another but it does bother me that I have been getting mailers fro mthe same guy for 2 years and now had to find someone else because they won't change it becauase it saves them on shipping which makes nooooooooo sense because asa buyer I pay shipping but no for me to argue with him...

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

""Has anyone seen reports if sales from the US to Canada have declined sense this program has come out?"""

That's a good question.

Buyers are showing up here on this Discussion Board one after the other stating that they will not buy via eBay any longer, or least not from American sellers because of the GSP.

Is that having an effect on over-the-border transactions?

Are those just a handful of buyers venting or do they represent the whole?

How will it look a year from now?

IMO......... one of the reasons the government does not collect taxes is because it would be the kibosh on international sales.  That could do some notable damage to the CPO.  Since ultimately fewer would buy internationally any longer if they were to tax every item over $20, there is nothing to gain by doing so and a lot to lose in the long run.

I have not stopped buying because of the GSP........... BUT, I am buying less.

For some reason over the past months the offerings on eBay have become very slim.

There are a lot of things going on here in addition to the GSP.  I used to have my watch list at the 200 limit and have to erase items to make room, but now I have just over 100 items and very few are interesting.

In other words..........

If eBay over-the-border purchases decline there is no reason to conclude it's due to the GSP.  There are other things going on.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply

The GSP preys upon the uninformed. I looked at a listing for a lego set, with a current bid of around 115 US, and the GSP was at around 52 dollars at that point. The trouble is, there is NO DUTY on toys, only provincial sales tax at most. I informed the seller who responded that he put GSP on it because it wasn't a product made in the USA, so he figured it was a hig-duty item. So his error is adding almost half the value of the item to the buyer's cost, not to mention that the GSP isn't even auto-correcting accurately. E.g. At Ontario's 13% hst, that adds 14.95 at a current price of 115... A FAR cry from 52. This is indeed a scam and has really turned me off ebay, and I've been on here since '99.
Message 16 of 25
latest reply

"Buyers are showing up here on this Discussion Board one after the other stating that they will not buy via eBay any longer, or least not from American sellers because of the GSP."

I am one of them,My most recent refusal to purchase was 3 days ago,I was looking for a blood pressure monitor,found a good price but the US seller was enrolled with GSP,I even asked the seller why she's using gsp,her response was it is easier to sell internationally now because of it and her sales are up 12%! I tried to inform her she probably would sell even more if she opted out of gsp .

I did not buy from her,or any other ebay seller,this was the second time this month that I refused to buy from ebay because of GSP,I wonder how many others are doing the same thing .

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

To patken:  I am sure that there are more and more Canadian buyers not buying from US with GSP now than before.  I am one of them. 

I would contact US sellers with GSP if they would opt out of GSP but when they refused, then they lose me for sure.  There are lots of US sellers with GSP that are selling the most rarely seen candid in-person photos of Elvis, almost all of them opt out of GSP which I was able to bid on and won.  Very few refused which is his loss.

I am so so so sure that eBay KNEW how many US sellers with GSP had opt out of GSP but of course eBay won't admit it.

With GSP, the shipping costs are insane way too high and why the heck should we pay for the so-called import charges on eBay when we fully knew we would never be dinged for the import charges for many items at any time.  I prefer to take risks at Canada Custom Border.

GSP may be good for very expensive items but overall, generally not ideal for many items when we knew we would never be dinged for the import charges at any time.

The problem with GSP is that the shipping costs are way too high. 

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

IMO......... one of the reasons the government does not collect taxes is because it would be the kibosh on international sales.  That could do some notable damage to the CPO.  Since ultimately fewer would buy internationally any longer if they were to tax every item over $20, there is nothing to gain by doing so and a lot to lose in the long run.

The only way the government makes any money on imports is by charging duty and tax. So if they are not charging these (although they could) then they don't make any money anyway.

Charge on every item over $20 = money in government pocket

pierre at one point mentioned that it is possible these low value imports are being ignored is that the labour cost to process them is higher than the duty and fees. That makes sense. Why spend a dollar to collect 50 cents?

Same with Canada Post, which charges the importer $9.95 to process imports. But if it costs them more, both in labour and in the cost of returning refused parcels, why bother?

CP also has the further problem that most parcels seem to be delivered by contractors, not employees. These contractors may or may not vet their employees to the Canada Post standard.

Further, an imported product is one which was not made and sold in Canada. So fewer jobs, payroll taxes, income taxes, etc. While I am not a protectionist, this is something to consider.

The answer in my opinion is to raise the value under which no tax or duty is collected to match that of cross-border shoppers. I believe that is now $200.

15% of $20 is a negligible $3-- probably not worth collecting.

15% of $200 is $30-- the cost of collecting is probably much lower.

As a side effect, the number high-value products imported privately, because for the most part these are private imports, would drop and the purchase made in Canada from Canadian online and B&M businesses, which pay taxes to the Canadian governments.

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

Yes it's a scam - the broker gets a huge percentage of the fee collected on purchases under $200 - there is a reason brokers are brokers and now ebay has figured out another way to get more money off our backs - going into partnership with Pitney BowesInc.

The really annoying part though, is them doing it under the guise of pretending to streamline and facilitate cross border woes.

Give me a break - this is a business for me and up until now I have been hit for maybe one in 50 import fees for parcels delivered cross border. This is complete BS

Message 20 of 25
latest reply