New seller requirement to state shipping cost + delivery time

fenian
Community Member
Good morning ! I posted this on the US PS board last night, but thought I would pop it in over here as well. This relates to the upcoming requirement to specify your shipping method and to specify expected delivery time.

Text posted:

As a seller on dot.com but living in - and mailing from - Canada, I think I'll be challenged by the requirement to specify a "domestic shipping service" and to provide an estimated time of arrival for items shipped to the US. On the dot.com SYI form, there is no entry for Canada Post in the drop down box, and Canada Post will not begin to guess at how long it would take for an item sent via 1st class mail to arrive at a US address. Everything I sell is mailed via Canada Post (usually lettermail, occasionally small packet air) and a very high % of my buyers are in the US. Living on Vancouver Island, I can't see swimming across Juan de Fuca Strait everyday to mail from a US post office. How might I resolve this when it comes to pass ?

>>>>>>>> Michael
Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Michael, I have been in contact with Miriam and one of her colleagues about this. She emailed me direct yesterday and promises an answer when she returns from "Live" You are not alone in this and eBay Canada is aware. Whether they come up with a solution for us before July 1 is another story. I will post on here the minute i hear back from them.
Message 2 of 30
latest reply

fenian
Community Member
Thanks, Snoop.........I'll be watching to see how Miriam responds. >>>>>>>> Michael
Message 3 of 30
latest reply

Actually, Miriam had spoken to Lilybean who sent me this response. Make any sense to you?

Hi snoopwiz,

I understand you use FedEx and with good reason, from what it sounds. Unfortunately, FedEx is not available on eBay’s Shipping Calculator at this time. There is a lot of cost and effort involved in integrating a carrier into the eBay and PayPal shipping solutions. To date, we have focused on USPS and UPS, the most frequently used carriers by our sellers. We know FedEx is an important carrier for a number of our sellers, and we are actively exploring the possibility of including FedEx on the site. There is no decision or timing at this point.

In terms of specifying your shipping costs, your alternative to using the Shipping Calculator will be to enter a flat shipping rate. To Include flat shipping costs in your listing:

1. When you list your item using eBay's Sell Your Item form or Turbo Lister, go to the Shipping (Domestic) section and choose "Flat" in the drop down menu.

2. For domestic shipping, you can select one or more of the following: Standard Flat Rate Shipping service, Expedited Flat Rate Shipping service, Overnight Flat Rate Shipping service, or Other (see description). You can select up to three domestic services and enter your flat cost for each.

3. For international shipping, you can select one or more of the following: Standard International Flat Rate Shipping, Expedited International Flat Rate Shipping, or Other International Shipping (see description). You can select up to three international services and enter your flat cost for each.

As well, I encourage you to continue to be up-front with your Shipping + Handling rates and clearly state them in your item descriptions.

Regards,

Lilybean

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

WHEW! Using the flat rate is what I've always done, looks like I'll escape this problem. I always have also put my shipping costs in my item listing text too. THX for putting this response up snoopwiz!
Message 5 of 30
latest reply

fenian
Community Member
I guess I still have a question. I can enter the "domestic" flat rate shipping charge, but will this apply to US based bidders only as I'm listing on the US site ? Scenario: I have an item listed on dot.com that sells to a Canadian buyer. (I charge the same shipping amount to either the US or to Canada). But....as the buyer is in Canada, will the shipping amount specified in the listing for his/her location be shown as the international rate ??.....which is higher than my normal charge to Canada ? I don't want Canadian buyers to see a requirement for them to pay $4.50 (international) when I charge only $2.50 (US or Canada). >>>>>>> Michael
Message 6 of 30
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
We will, if still selling here on eBay- enter the MAXIMUM number of days for shipping an item, and delivery.

So- if given the option we will enter 99 DAYS for shipping and handling.
Any sane buyer- if there are any left, will think that this is an error- and look for the correct information in the auction's copy.

We believe that safe delivery of customer's items is most important, not time.
We are not in race to get their items to them. And- I will not be goaded into a race to see who can get the product to the customer the fastest.

This DSR stuff is a bunch of BS- and we reuse to participate in the ludicrous idea that anything less than offerirng free shipping , and getting the out in the mail the next day, is the way a business should be run.

We send out items when WE WANT- and will continue to do so. Running out to a Post Office more than once, or twice a week- is enough! And the thought of going more than once in a day- absurd!

So- enter a ridiculous number for S/H times- and act in a sane, and rational manner getting the item out in the mail, when you can. Then- be fully aware that the Post Office will likely screw up- and all your efforts will result in a late arrival, as a result of misdirection, or Custom's delays.
Message 7 of 30
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
I looked back at the shipping policy announcement from March 24, 2008 and this is the part relating to stating shipping costs:

Phasing in Required Specified Shipping
Online buyers today expect to know the exact shipping price for an item before they place an order. And knowing the exact shipping price at the time of bidding or purchase on eBay is an important driver of buyer satisfaction.

When sellers specify the shipping price and service in the Shipping Details section of their listing (not just in the description) this information shows up for buyers in key places during the purchasing process -- on the Search Results page, at the top of the Item page, and in the Shipping Details section at the bottom of the listing. Listings with shipping specified in this way are more likely to sell and attract better DSR scores. For these reasons, starting this week, we’ll begin requiring that all new sellers who are listing for the first time specify their shipping costs using the Shipping Details section.

A few months later, specified shipping costs will become a requirement for most listings on eBay, including listings from 3rd party listing tools. (Exemptions will apply to certain categories like Vehicles, or services such as Freight.) The good news is that the vast majority of listings on eBay already include specified shipping. For sellers who are not yet taking advantage of specified shipping, we encourage you to adopt this important best practice right away.

This applies to those of us who list on eBay.com. We must state shipping to the States, however no mention is made that we have to include HOW LONG it takes to get to the buyer. That's a plus for all of us since we can't control Customs!

Hope this information helps.

Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 8 of 30
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Just wanted to ask...has anyone found a more recent announcement than the one from March 24th regarding shipping requirements on .com?

Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 9 of 30
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
We will simply enter an EXTREME amount, and thus make it look like an error.
The buyer, if they have any sense, will check the listing for the correct information.
HOWEVER- A SHIPPING RATE WILL BE VISIBLE!

At times- shipping rates are not possible to calculate- because of far too many variables.
Message 10 of 30
latest reply

Hi fenian! What I've been doing is having:
-flat rate for the US (which comes first anyway)
-flat rate for Canada only is 2nd(the most expensive one, in my listing I advise that it is cheaper to ON/QC, but often folks don't catch this which causes a bit of troubles)
-flat rate for worldwide is 3rd(which catches the international buyers)

Sometimes though I've had problems with Canadians showing up as international, and the international rate trying to be applied, although it isn't often.

Check one of my listings to see my style, I do the same thing in all of them.

Hopefully that helps!
Message 11 of 30
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
If eBay could ACCURATELY display the correct postage in ALL situations- then maybe.
eBay has never had a shipping calculator that works for the myriad of shipping options available to CANADIAN SELLERS who list on the DOT COM SITE.

So- what makes anyone believe that this shipping calculator will cause any less grief in the future?

Therefore I say- enter an absurdly number- and inform the customer of the correct lower priced option.
Message 12 of 30
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
...absurdly HIGH number- sorry for the missing word.
Message 13 of 30
latest reply

I put shipping on the US site as other... and stated the shipping as a maximum.. For me that is shipping to Florida.

It also states check the listing

I have shipping and handling in all listings indicated as

within Canada...To the US... and ... Elsewhere.
Message 14 of 30
latest reply

Had a telephone from someone at ebay.

Also received email... As follows

Note section in bold about shipping/handling time.. for mr that is three days... I ship on Monday and Thursday.

Does this affect our listing as it goes to eBay.ca... Suspect not but I did ask for a clarification.

...... starting in July, all sellers who list their items on eBay.com in the U.S., will be required to specify domestic shipping services and costs in their listing. When sellers specify the shipping services and costs in the Shipping Details section of their listing, this information shows up for buyers in key places during the purchasing process, like the shipping cost column in the search results page, the top of the View Item page, and the shipping details section at the bottom of the View Item page. Knowing this information upfront helps buyers in making informed decisions and they are less likely to be disappointed with the transaction.

Starting in July, the requirement will go into effect and sellers will simply not be allowed to list items that do not specify shipping. Sellers are encouraged to begin specifying shipping in their listings now, as listings without specified shipping may receive less exposure in search. Specified shipping costs will become a requirement for most listings on eBay, including listings from 3rd party listing tools. Note, exemptions will apply to certain categories like Vehicles, or services such as Freight. Sellers can specify freight without entering any cost, but they will need to specify freight as a shipping service type.

If you are not yet using specified shipping, we encourage you to adopt this best practice right away. Listings with shipping specified in this way are more likely to sell and attract higher DSRs.

Sellers who sell internationally should also specify their international shipping costs to ensure their visibility to international buyers is not reduced.

For sellers looking to improve their overall shipping practices, here are some tips:

1. Specify your shipping cost using "Flat Rate" or "Calculated" shipping in the shipping details. With eBay's Shipping Calculator, eBay will automatically calculate the shipping costs for your buyer based on your ZIP Code, the buyer's ZIP Code, package details, and shipping service.

2. Be specific about the shipping services you offer. Give buyers options with shipping services. You can select the shipping services that you want to offer when you list your item. You may want to select one inexpensive service and one fast service.

3. Specify your handling time. Specify the amount of time it will take you to ship the item after you receive payment from the buyer. Providing buyers this information lets them know how long it will take to receive the item.

4. Provide details about any packaging or handling costs. If you decide to add a handling cost, let the buyer know what the costs include. In the item description, clearly state how your item will be packaged and what the related costs are.

5. Offer shipping discounts. Offer buyers savings on shipping when they purchase multiple items from you. This may encourage them to buy additional items from you.
Message 15 of 30
latest reply

We have to specify

(1) Shipping cost... to the US... on eBay.cpm... it is Domstic shipping put as other in the listing.

(2) Handling time

(3) returns and refunds..... on eBay.com it is acceptable to state

No returns accepted...

So it is revise store listings...

For now I am not going to put up a shipping within Canada option.

As per telephone conversation and email, pus a bit of other information.
Message 16 of 30
latest reply

Go to Site map.. find Suggesttions... and tell them about Canada Post on eBay.com

Did that this morning.

The more the merrier.
Message 17 of 30
latest reply

I usually list most of my items on .com and this is a huge mess for me. The majority of my packages have to go expedited which means every US zip is a different charge based on the weight and size.

If I have to estimate in order to put in a "flat" amount, the postage will always look high -especially compared to US sellers. The buyer won't always twig to the fact that althought the listing is on .com -the item is being mailed from Canada. I do explain all the postal facts in my listings, but we all know that a lot of buyers don't read past the first line or two.

This is a total mess. Why can't ebay just export the Canada Post rate calculator (which is usually more or less accurate) onto the .com site and in TL - then we could use the appropriate drop down boxes to show the postage????? Seemingly simple enough - 2 choices for shipping options - one section for within the US and one for Canada to the US. At the same time they could put the USPS calculator on .ca for the sellers who drive their packages across the border to mail or for US sellers who do sometimes list on .ca
Message 18 of 30
latest reply

The requirement for shipping cost to be visible is for eBay.com only...that is eBay US.

Right now there are many who live in Canada and list directly to eBay.com. For them it is easy to state shipping to the US as Other.

However, trying to state shipping is a problem because the Canada Post options are not available on eBay.com Turbolister.

So if you live in Canada, and list directly to eBay US contact eBay and suggest they add Canada Post to Turbolister for listings to go to ebay US.

Many have done so.. I too have done this... So join the crowd.
Message 19 of 30
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
I am still not satisfied with the 'one size fits all' Canada Post shipping tool.

It's one thing to enter a weight for an item, and the dimensions of the shipping box.
HOWEVER- when the number of items changes, not only does the weight change, so does the size of the box.

How does Canada Post's eBay shipping Calculator account for this?

Some services required larger boxes to meet postal requirement- and this results in a "CUBED WEIGHT" formula. So, you are really paying for more weight than you are shipping. HOWEVER, when a LARGE number of items are shipped together, the size of the BOX may EXCEED that which is permitted for that type of Postal service.

Is everyone as confused as I am trying to get this calculator to work?
Message 20 of 30
latest reply