New to ebay HELP

mandyd581
Community Member

Ok maybe I am a bit on the slow side but will someone explain to me if I start an item of at .99 and only one person bids on it dose that mean that is what they will pay for it??? 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

New to ebay HELP

If you start a listing at 99 cents and one person bids on it, that is all the buyer has to pay (plus any shipping specified in the listing).

Do not start your listings at less than the minimum you want for the item.

You can not ask your buyers for additional money after the auction has ended.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

New to ebay HELP

If you did fall into that trap, you will just have to write it off as part of the learning curve.

EBay's helpful staff are notoriously bad at giving advice on selling. They are usually a few years behind the current situation. If you have any questions, you are better off asking your fellow sellers here.

If you did have any open auctions with 99cent asking, you could cancel any bids (the important first step) and then end the auction. Then re-list with the minimum you would be content with.

And Calculated Shipping. Which is another story.

And you know about the 21 Day Hold on your buyer's payments?

While you test the waters, only list things that you are willing to sell cheap. No new in box iPads. Maybe iPad sleeves.

At least you can list 50 auctions with no listing fee. And if you are careful, you can list another 50 free on eBaydotcom, but the shipping fees are tricky there.

Ask questions. With examples.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

New to ebay HELP

If you start a listing at 99 cents and one person bids on it, that is all the buyer has to pay (plus any shipping specified in the listing).

Do not start your listings at less than the minimum you want for the item.

You can not ask your buyers for additional money after the auction has ended.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

New to ebay HELP

mandyd581
Community Member

Oh no I should have know better when I was doing the set up for it it suggested it and i was thinking ok why not what do i do? I don't want to make anyone upset but some of the stuff I just can't afford to do shipping and sell it at that amount. I will go broke:_|

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

New to ebay HELP

If you did fall into that trap, you will just have to write it off as part of the learning curve.

EBay's helpful staff are notoriously bad at giving advice on selling. They are usually a few years behind the current situation. If you have any questions, you are better off asking your fellow sellers here.

If you did have any open auctions with 99cent asking, you could cancel any bids (the important first step) and then end the auction. Then re-list with the minimum you would be content with.

And Calculated Shipping. Which is another story.

And you know about the 21 Day Hold on your buyer's payments?

While you test the waters, only list things that you are willing to sell cheap. No new in box iPads. Maybe iPad sleeves.

At least you can list 50 auctions with no listing fee. And if you are careful, you can list another 50 free on eBaydotcom, but the shipping fees are tricky there.

Ask questions. With examples.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

New to ebay HELP

mandyd581
Community Member

Wouldn't that be just mean of me to do to someone though? If I took it back and was like oh no never mind!? LOL Thank you so very much for all your help!

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

New to ebay HELP

You can't do it to a BUYER, but you can to a bidder.

It is polite to email them first* and explain your problem. Your bidder may have a $100 bid that shows as $1.00 because there is no underbidder. It could happen ]:). The underbidder sets the price.

But, girlfriend, get over the "that's not nice" we women get drilled into us. Sometimes the best move is to say "NO' and do what you need to do, not what someone else wants you to do.

Be polite, but PYA.

This is business and your pocketbook.

*You cancel the bids before you cancel the auction, because otherwise eBay decides that you agreed to sell to the high bidder at his ridiculous price. Be aware. Caveat venditor.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

New to ebay HELP

corinnaa6
Community Member

Here, Here!!!

Message 7 of 7
latest reply