Newish buyer. Item hasn't arrived after six weeks and I'm not sure what to do.

ayanio
Community Member

Hello!

So I had ordered an item and it hadn't showed up for five weeks, I notified the seller I would wait another week and by the sixth week, it still hadn't arrived(original ad said 3 weeks but of course, delays happen). The seller had offered me three options which were to wait longer, allow them to send a replacement, or have a refund issued.  All the items I have bought overseas have taken one month at the longest to arrive and already disappointed, I took the refund which they will be issuing in the next day or two.

The item I am looking for is a collectible plushie (roughly $12), so I would like to order it from another seller since this one didn't arrive to complete my set. My question is, how long should I wait before buying from another seller to avoid having one suddenly show up despite the wait time (past six weeks), and have to pay for both?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Even if the seller promise you the moon, don't go over 45 days without opening a Paypal case for "non recieved item"

They see you as "newbie" eBayer and some may try to fool you by requesting to wait "a few more days".

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

ayanio
Community Member
Yes I've definitely learned that from this experience.

But even though its passed six weeks, how long should I wait to buy a new one? I would be obligated to pay for this one if it shows up a month or two down the line?
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

You have 30 days from the PayPal payment date to file an INR claim. They changed the rules recently.

Do I have to file a PayPal Buyer Protection claim within a certain time period?
Yes. Buyers have up to 30 calendar days from the PayPal payment date to file a PayPal Buyer Protection claim. Any claims filed after the 30-day period will be recorded but not processed. 

http://pages.ebay.ca/paypal/pbp.html

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I don't know why but it says 45 days here, but 30 in the other link:

Keep in mind that timing is important. You can open a case 3 days after the estimated delivery date (if available) or 7 days after the listing ended (if no estimated delivery date was provided). If you received an item, but it doesn't match the seller's description, you can open a case now. You must open a case within 45 days of the transaction date.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/questions/item-not-received.html

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

If you get a refund for this item and it turns up you have two choices.

Use Paypal Send Money to pay for it and keep it.

Refuse the item and, without opening the parcel, mark it Return to Sender.

The basic premise is that neither buyer nor seller can have both the money and the item.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Because one is a PayPal Buyer Protection claim (30 days), and the other is an eBay Resolution Centre claim (45 days).
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

There is no definitive answer to your question.  I recently heard from a purchaser that he finally received his order.  I shipped in August, refunded in September because he had not receive it, it was delivered in December (no indication of a delay for Custom's inspection). This was an air mail package from Canada to Australia - not exactly high risk countries for postal deliveries.

Please read this regarding returns outside Canada:

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/support/helpcentre/post_office/return_retail.jsf" 

Return to Sender" is for within Canada only.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@ayanio wrote:
Yes I've definitely learned that from this experience.

But even though its passed six weeks, how long should I wait to buy a new one? I would be obligated to pay for this one if it shows up a month or two down the line?

I would ask for a refund now and order one from someone else. If you do happen to receive the original one later on, ask the seller if they would like you to send it back..at their expense. Even though it may not be the seller's fault that the item took so long to arrive, you've already waited 6 weeks and have already gone above and beyond what most customers would wait.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply