'No Restocking Fee' Set on My New (Sold) Re-Listing Without Permission

Has anyone else seen this?

Something sold this morning and after it shipped when I went to relist it, I found I had been opted in WITHOUT PERMISSION to a condition of RETURNS (mine are thus-far unmanaged) that states I won't change a restocking fee on this even though I state elsewhere that I may. I'm not comfortable listing this the way it stands. It was a Good Till Cancelled with a Quantity of One that sold, I have another and I'm trying to relist it. There were 24 watchers on the original listing. 

What is this in boldface below? I've never seen it anywhere before, and it's not displaying on my automated relisted items, even when I go to revise one.

Can someone explain? How do I get rid of this?

I have no 'return policy' stated or established because: (a) I don't ever get Returns or request for Returns and (b) when there is a first time, I'll handle it myself since I want to be sure it goes smoothly.

Everything I've read and experienced as a buyer with ebay's Returns Process leaves much to be desired so I don't want it mucking up any return request I might get in the future as a seller.

The boldface below is theirs. Like they just threw it in but thought we might want to know. Did I miss a memo somewhere?

Screen Shot 2015-11-14 at 5.44.30 PM.jpg

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

It's on any 'new' listing I create now. Perhaps the others which relisted themselves today via Automated Rules were immune because they were automated. What am I not understanding here? Was there some requirement to establish Returns today? When I look at that section, I see absolutely nothing about Restocking fees so how can ebay assume I won't ask for one on every new listing?

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I just listed two items and the restocking info didn't appear.  Would it have anything to do with the category?

I did however, get all the countries listed that I ship to instead of just worldwide with exclusions - sheesh.

So many bizarre things going on lately.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I don't know. I really don't.

Were yours new listings? Relists? Sell Similars? GTC?

That hot mess of countries started last night, I think. It's another thread... http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/What-is-this-where-there-are-listing-all-the-places-I-shi...

I hoped that Worldwide with Exclusions would be less messy than mine but maybe not. 

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

It is related to the category, toys. I tried one in Collectibles and another in Pottery and neither had the Restocking Issue there. Back to toys and there it was again. I am not amused. Was this announced somewhere or is it a glitch? Does anyone know? I don't monitor the US Board, only ebay Canada because that's where I list. It's like they're trying to force returns for toy sellers. I've never had a Return. 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

It says right in the middle of the page that my terms won't change. So why did they?

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/fallupdate2015/returns-updates.html

Your current settings won’t change

If you handled returns manually or use automated approvals, your settings and level of automation will not change. Your settings will only change when you take action to add or update how you want to handle returns through your preferences and policies.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Also from the same page, further down.... there is no pull-down menu. I checked. 

Replacements and Restocking Fees

• What is a replacement?

A replacement can be offered to buyers who would rather get a replacement item instead of a return when there’s a problem with the original. Replacements are defined as exchanging one item for the same item (same size/colour/UPC, etc.). For example, a size medium blue blouse arrives with a small flaw. When you offer a replacement option in your policy, the buyer has the option to request the replacement medium blue blouse be shipped instead of a refund.

• Who should offer replacements?

Sellers who have multiples of the same items for sale can offer replacements. Some conditions apply.

• How does a buyer initiate a replacement?

The buyer initiates a replacement by choosing the appropriate topic from the "More actions" drop-down menu next to the transaction in their purchased items summary.

If you offer replacements, the buyer will also have the option for buyers to choose either a refund or a replacement. If you don't offer replacements, the buyer only sees the refund option.

Image showing the selections available to buyers when they click the actions drop-down menu

Buyers provide details about the return request and select if they want a refund or a replacement.

• What happens if I am out of stock of an item and the buyer wants a replacement?

If you sell multiple identical items in a single, fixed-price listing format with Good ‘Til Cancelled as the listing duration, you can select the out-of-stock option in My eBay > Account > Site Preferences to help manage the visibility of your listing. If you offer replacements and the buyer requests a replacement for an item that is out of stock but still visible, simply offer the seller a refund instead. You won’t receive a defect for the request. 

• How do I handle buyer requests for exchanges?

Exchanges (when one item is returned in exchange for a different item) are currently not handled through the eBay returns process. If you would like to offer an exchange instead of a return or replacement, use the “Communicate with the buyer” feature, which allows the communication to be visible to eBay in case of a problem. Some sellers who don't want to manually handle an exchange will ask the buyer to return the item and give a refund through the normal eBay process and request that the buyer re-order the new item.

• What’s changing with restocking fees in October?

Starting in late October, restocking fees will be offered to all sellers inside a structured pull-down menu located in your return policy. When you select the restocking fee, it will show on your item page, and be automatically deducted from the refund when the buyer chooses the following return reasons:

• Doesn’t fit
    • Changed mind
    • Found a better price
    • Just didn't like it
    • Ordered by mistake
  • What do I need to do to have a restocking fee automatically deducted from the buyer’s refund?

Starting in late October, you’ll be able to add restocking fees using a new pull-down menu found in your return policy when creating a new listing or updating an existing listing. You should no longer use the ‘free-form’ field for restocking fees after the pull-down list becomes available.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

This happened with Product Identifiers too, made mandatory for me as part of a select group of the unluckeys two to three weeks before they were scheduled to come into effect for anyone else. Toy sellers at Christmas don't have time to troubleshoot system upgrades, we're supposed to be selling things. To people. For Christmas.

Ask me in March if I want to play Returns with you, ebay!

I feel sabotaged. 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Yes, I guess it is the category.  Mine were in books and photos and I used sell similar.

It does seem like sabotage but I can't figure out why they would do it and just in toys?  Or perhaps it is in a few others as well.

It is like a new surprise every day.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Yes, the gift that keeps on giving. 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

It can be addressed in the Bulk Editor! Another member pointed me to the fact that it could be found in the item itself. Last night, that link in the item was unresponsive. Today, it works, as does the Bulk Editor to address it so that my level of anxiety about this is lessened but I still think that ebay needs to roll out a better Distant Early Warning System when they make this stuff go live on us. 

jpgScreen Shot 2015-11-15 at 9.58.23 AM.jpg

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Ebay auto-set us to NO RESTOCKING FEE long before it came to our attention. Look....

jpg RESTOCKING FEE FAIL Screen Shot 2015-11-16 at 3.08.01 PM.jpg

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

It's like that on ALL my listings checked so far. 

08-Nov-1517:36:50 EST

Description
Details

Item Specifics: - ReturnPolicy
Changed Restocking Fee from -- to No

Message 13 of 13
latest reply