No Tracking Number, Paypal always re-embourses the buyer ;-(

globalex-inc
Community Member
Hi,
I need some help here, would anybody know a way to ship standard surface or air mail (at a reasonable price) with Canada Post and get a tracking number?

I sent an item to Italy, the buyer was (lets say) to economical to pay air mail, so it was sent surface....

He complained to paypal that the item had not arrived with 3 weeks of shipment so paypal asked me for a tracking number...... could give it to them + they dont have the option to tell them just that..... after 10 days and carefully reviewing this case, THEY GAVE HIM BACK HIS MONEY grrrrrr

So I told paypal that when he receives his item, are they going to make sure I get paid???? Of course they said no.

Is there another way?
Thanks a bunch 😉
Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

muminlaw
Community Member
Well, when it's sent small packet my understanding is that there is $100 insurance included. File a loss through Canada Post for the $100 - they're usually pretty good at investigating and paying losses.

Other than that, nothing to suggest. As far as I know there is no way to ship small items with a tracking number - some methods aren't even eligible for Registration! It seems there's absolutely no way Canadians can meet PayPal's requirements for SPP and neither Canada Post nor PayPal care a whit!
. Glenda
To Golf or Not To Golf? What a stupid question!
Glenda

Click here to go to my Store
Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Canada Post small package rate - either for international or to the US is not trackable. If you take Paypal for these transactions, you are sol if the buyer claims non delivery. If you are going to accept Paypal and want to have a tracking number you have to upgrade to expedited for the US and send regular surface parcel for international. The buyer will be paying a lot higher postage but you get some protection. If they don't want to pay for the higher postage, offer the lower small parcel rate but don't take PP - insist on Bidpay or some other method. Just one more reason Paypal sucks 🙂
Message 3 of 20
latest reply

itrecovery
Community Member
Even with tracking PayPal always on the buyer side. Year after year, we pay chargebacks. Just accept that and do your own diligence check on each buyer. Hope Google will kick them one day.
Message 4 of 20
latest reply

titanium_inspirations
Community Member
An idea here for you guys I used once successfully so far.

I had a US buyer who claimed a non reciept for an item within 9 days (!) of Paypal payment. And the ridiculous thing was, Paypal honored the complaint! Knowing full well that the item was still on its way to the customer I sent a successful tracking # from another shipment I made, just to stall the Paypal process a little. Well what do you know, the buyer finally recieved the product, and politely removed the dispute. I lost nothing and the issue was over with.

Paypal may not like these tactics but I find it unfair that they allow buyers so much clout, even to allow a 9-day non-reciept dispute! A little creativity goes a long way.

;) _matt @ Titanium_Inspirations
Message 5 of 20
latest reply

globalex-inc
Community Member
Titanium: I tried that tactiic with paypal, I gave them an accelarated parcel tracking number (which is only a delivery number.....not a tracking) and they saw throught it... I just wanted to stall, let the item arrive but they dint give me a chance. I even asked them that since they are onwed by Ebay now, why wont they check the sellers feedback rating and judge for themselves before ALWAYS sidding with the buyer.... they answered: we are not Ebay.
Christiane
Message 6 of 20
latest reply

auctiondropnship
Community Member
All international shipments outside fo the United States must use www.bidpay.com

There solved
Happened too me one too many times
Auction Drop N Ship
Drop It, Sell It, Ship It

Canada's Ebay Drop Off Store
Message 7 of 20
latest reply

titanium_inspirations
Community Member
Globalex, I recommend a real tracking # if possible. Perhaps I was just lucky the buyer closed the dispute so quickly, but I am guessing paypal would be looking for a certain # of digits to verify a valid tracking #, and your # was too obviously fake.

Auctiondropship, as for your solution I hope I never am forced into that position. I for one refuse to buy from any seller who only offers bidpay. Why? Because the bidpay charges cost too much, it is a pain in the butt to make payment, and there is no buyer protection. In fact, out of the 2 times I have used Bidpay I have been ripped off once. The only other time I have been ripped off besides that was through a postal money order transaction. Coincidence?

I would guess quite strongly that you have lost a lot of sales since refusing US Paypal payments. What you have to ask yourself is: is the money I'm "saving" by not accepting foreign Paypal payments ofsetting the money I'm losing in sales? Another way to compare it is: % of loss through fraudulent transactions relative to overall sales vs % of sales volume lost compared to sales volume before your US Paypal block.

How much are you really saving?
Message 8 of 20
latest reply

4sunglass
Community Member
If u ship expresssot u get a tracker and guarenteed delivery
Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Xpresspost? Sure, but I highly doubt the buyer's going to pay for it as it's $50-60 lowest rate to the UK I think. Yikes.
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

titanium_inspirations
Community Member
I agree with Javax. Offering expresspost as the only option even to the US is ridiculous as it's price of $21.00+ would deter most serious buyers. To me that is not a solution. In my opinion it is best to mail by small packet air, and perhaps incorporate the cost of the rare few chargebacks into a handling fee on top of the actual shipping cost. Works for me 😄
Message 11 of 20
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
Titanium - reread Auctiondropship's statement again.

All international shipments outside of the United States must use www.bidpay.com

He's not referring to US customers. Unless I'm reading it wrong but I don't think so. Most sales are to the US anyways. In the same way as Canadian sales, who cares if you don't get Canadian or other country's buyers. They're such a small part of the sales picture it would hardly matter.

Bidpay has also dropped the cost of their money orders to a sliding scale. The cost is comparable to that of other money orders. Depending on the dollar value that is.

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
Message 12 of 20
latest reply

What I suggest is to use Canada Post AIR MAIL small packet service with insurance up to a $100.00 canadian AND for high end products to use UPS ground(insurance included). If a package gets lost with the small packet simply make a claim and resend package to client. Client is happy and no claims using Paypal chargeback. And the bigger items there is a tracking number and proof of signature with UPS so if client tries to fraud you, you have proof of delivery. We have had clients who tried to scam us but when we got back at them with the signature would not hear from them again.
Message 13 of 20
latest reply

who cares if you don't get Canadian or other country's buyers.

Well I for one certainly do.....my sales

Canada - 5%
USA - 35%
Others - 60%

These ratio's change over time but rarely do my International sales fall below 40% AND they tend to buy the higher priced (over $100) items. Pretty hard to get $50 shipping even on a $200/300 item.

Ben
"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 14 of 20
latest reply

titanium_inspirations
Community Member
My apologies for misreading your statement, dropship. I guess since the majority of my chargebacks, etc. come from US customers, that is what I was focusing on.

Marsu I didn't realize one could make claims on small packet shipments. From what I've heard, I always thought when these were "lost", the seller was SOL.
Message 15 of 20
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
Absolutely Ben. That would most certainly impact your sales. Most of my stuff goes stateside. That's where I was coming from. :)

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Jake

No problem and I fully understand. This only highlights why all the good and bad points of selling on eBay vary considerably between sellers (and probably buyers as well).

It's part (but only part) of the reason many eBay "features" will never make all sellers happy. We all need to understand that changes that might be good for "me" might be terrible for "you".

Ben

- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 17 of 20
latest reply

I have had my first chargeback request recently with a buyer from France. He claims that he's purchased from this "Zone" before, and it has always arrived in 7 days, and is mad at me for it not arriving -- and charging more. (Welcome to Canada)

I put my Electronic Shipping Tools MANIFEST number into the tracking number on PayPal, and talked to a customer service rep. SHE WAS IN CANADA, and had personally experienced how expensive Tracking was for us here. She requested I send a request to PayPal to review the Tracking # policy for Canadians, detailing how expensive it was.

I thought "Yeah -- like they'll listen", but I sent a request through eBay's "help" as she stated.

Now... if WE ALL CAN do this... maybe PayPal will notice.

So... ARE YOU WITH ME? 🙂

John
Message 18 of 20
latest reply

titanium_inspirations
Community Member
John, If you could give us the appropriate Paypal email address or telephone # you are using, I for one would be more than happy to join your efforts.
Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Heh Heh. Just go to PayPal and click "Help" at the top of the page. You have to click "Contact Us" and then "Send Email"

Here's the direct link:
PayPal General Contact

I selected the "Filing a Complaint", and "Seller Protection Policy"
Message 20 of 20
latest reply