Not Canadian Bash ~~But do you find Canadian ebayers harder to deal with

your-chic-shopper
Community Member
Ok 80% of my Customers are American . But why is it , it tends to be the Canadian's that stick in my mind as the really strong headed ebayers. I use too charge GST for Canadian's and stated in my auctions . Well forget it , you spin your wheels to long , it's to much of a waste of time . Emailing customer telling them your auctions state plus GST.

Or how about the Canadian they lives within your own town . You ship Canada Post and they take 12 days to get it too him . Now that was a hard letter to write
Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

catseye*
Community Member
My only neg is from a Canadian. Some of my most painful experiences have been with Canadians...and it's annoying that it costs MORE to ship to Canadians!! aargh!

I always groan when I have to ship across the country. Less than 5% of my customers are Canadians, so I just use a fixed rate for US and Canada...and always go a little in the red when shipping within Canada.

*JMHO* - to be taken with a grain of salt!
Message 2 of 31
latest reply

Canadian buyers usually have problems with the shipping cost - they often assume those huge numbers in the auction TOS are for US shipping, and theirs will be lots cheaper - lol! Hard to blame 'em - shipping within Canada is brutal!
Ann
Message 3 of 31
latest reply

your-chic-shopper
Community Member
I as well do a flate shipping rate for both American's and Canadian's . Yes I have a few emails stateing " why is your shipping so high" for Canada
Message 4 of 31
latest reply

mevans_cda
Community Member
Agreed, most of the issues with Canadian buyers tends to revolve around the shipping costs. But who can blame them? I have reasonable flat rates to any US destination using small packet, no figuring out by zip code or having to charge more going to California than to New York. But in Canada I can ship a small item to Toronto for $3-$4 but out to BC or the Maritimes it jumps to $8-$9. There's no way I can give a flat rate for Canadian destinations unless its by lettermail. Very frustrating.
Message 5 of 31
latest reply

e-scrooge
Community Member
I specify a flat rate and in my terms I specify the rate is reduced by 50% within 200km of my location (Toronto), it prevents most of the emails from people local to me going "WHY IS IT $12 TO SHIP A BOX ACROSS TOWN?>??"

Unfortunately I still get plenty of complaining and worse, people wanting to do local pickup, which is a gigantic hassle.

I'm amazed that so many people get such a small percentage of Canadian customers. I find approximately 40-50% of my bidders are Canadian. I sell laptops on occasion and 90% of them are sold to Canada, I don't even get any US bidders. I have no clue why.
Message 6 of 31
latest reply

deltone
Community Member
I'd say 95% of my sellers are American and the other 5% are Canadian. I've not had any problems with them. Very nice, polite etc. The shipping amount is a pita but I state right in my auctions that the shipping is for US only and that if you live in Canada, you must email me for a quote and provide your postal code. When I send them the quote, I always include a copy and paste from the Canada Post website showing exactly what the cost is going to be, and I convert to US dollars. In other words, if it's going to be $5.65 Cdn, I charge them the US value, not $5.65 US as I don't try to make money on the shipping. I've not had one Canadian complain about the shipping as they generally know that it's not my fault that Canada Post charges so much.

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

e-scrooge
Community Member
I wish I had the time to give everyone an individual quote.. it takes up a lot of time weighing and measuring boxes at home to give people quoted rates, especially with 15-20 items per day being sold. Overall I probably break even on shipping, sometimes I make 50 cents or a dollar, sometimes I lose, it ends up evening out. Thus far nobody's expressed any concerns over it.
Message 8 of 31
latest reply

north-of-55
Community Member
I have more Cdn customer problems than American. Mostly because of the small packet rate to the USA, they believe I am over charging to ship within Canada. I have the odd buyer who doesn't understand why they must pay in US funds or use a US exchange rate.
Message 9 of 31
latest reply

deltone
Community Member
Most of the products I sell are around the same weight so it's not hard to figure out. It only takes a few minutes to check on that site. You might want to invest in a small scale. I seriously never find a problem with Canadians complaining about shipping rates, once I show them it's from the Canada Post site, and not me padding my wallet. I find most people are reasonable when they have the facts.
Message 10 of 31
latest reply

thebidwatcher
Community Member
I put a flat rate for shipping within Canada or the US right in my Auctions. I am not interested in nickel and diming every auction and I usually make money on every shipment. It's called being in business. I have never heard a complaint but if I did I would refund some money because I am in a service business too.

If suddenly one shipment goes over I don't go nuts either. I am covered.

If I see a .ca in an e-mail address I always invite the buyer to come and pick up their item if they live in Toronto and save the shipping. Some do, some don't. They do appreciate me asking though.

One thing I have noticed about eBay (and I am no expert, I have been at this just over a year). The buyers do not seem to think they have the same responsibilties/ obligations/courtesies required for retail. And they should have even MORE because they are dealing with a human, not a conglomerate. They would never pull HALF this crap with Canadian Tire, Holt Renfrew or Chapters! The price stated is the price stated. End of story.

And don't they realize there is feedback on the other side?
Message 11 of 31
latest reply

bmw.williams
Community Member
I also sell mostly laptops on ebay, and most of mine are American, not most, ALL so far...so i guess i took all your clients e-scroge and you took mine 🙂
Message 12 of 31
latest reply

deltone
Community Member
I agree Birdwatcher. Some buyers don't seem to have a clue. (And some sellers too). Personally, I've not really had too much trouble dealing with buyers, but I've read a LOT of horror stories of some of the carp people will pull. My biggest complaint would be the buyers that bid and win one of your items, and then send an email stating something like "oh, I just realized that I don't really need your item so if it's all the same to you, let's just forget about it". HELLO????

I find a flat rate won't work for me. If I send a vhs tape to the US, I can send it for around $4.25. To send that same vhs tape, it will cost around $8.40 to go to Vancouver.

My dilemma is I don't want to charge US buyers extra to "cover" the extra fees for the Canadian shipping, nor do I want to "eat" the extra to send to Canadians. I find that putting in my Terms of Sales in the auction that the bidder needs to contact me, if in Canada, hasn't been a problem. Takes me less than 2 minutes to plug the figures into the calculator on the Canada Post website, and another minute to answer the email. No biggie.
Message 13 of 31
latest reply

thebidwatcher
Community Member
Deltone, if we are going to continue having these online liasons, you must get my name right - BID, not BIRD.

I look forward to a long, long relationship!
Message 14 of 31
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
95% or more of my sales go into the USA but my biggest hassles come from Canadian bidders. I determined some time ago that I needed to buy better so I started a legitimate business that requires I charge applicable taxes to Canadians. With 95% of my biz coming from south of the border, my GST rebate on a quarterly basis is like that extra paycheck I used to get twice a year when I had a 9-5 job. Too much money not to claw it back even with the reporting requirements.

I did a quick check and, of the last thirty Canadian buyers, only one added the tax. Most will make a quick PayPal payment and ignore the taxes even though my auctions are quite clear (as is my end of auction email). It is a constant frustration that I have to refund the PayPal payment and send an invoice for the correct amount. I get regular grief from buyers because of this. I even changed my auctions to US bidders only for awhile but the nasty grams and hate mail I got as a result drove me to accept Canadian bidders again. It appears that even though all of my auctions were listed through the USA site (and shown as "Will ship to the USA only"), eBay.ca was still making the auctions readily visible to all Canadian bidders... even when they specified "available to Canada" in their searches.

S/H is also a major difficulty. I can ship a small item (under 250 g) all over the USA for $2.80 but it costs me $5.22 to Toronto for the same item - and the GTA is only an hour from me!!! How can you explain something that whacked to customers?? I don't understand it either!

Yes, I also get the regular requests for pick-ups but I decline every one. I sell relatively inexpensive items and a pick up consumes far too much of my time. I don't want to be unreasonable but a pick up always leads to a general discussion about eBay in general and I can't afford to take an hour out of my day for a $30 sale.

One of my other frustrations is that most of my very slowest payers have been Canadians for some reason. I haven't figured this aspect out yet.

Whew.... sorry about the venting but it's been building for a few years. I'm glad there is now a Cdn. PS board and I'll try to keep my griping to a minimum in future. :<)

Bill

Message 15 of 31
latest reply

catseye*
Community Member
Here's how I handle pickups.

I ask for payment first, then on the day they want to pick up I put the pkg outside my door and give them the address.

works like a charm, and no hassle for me.

*JMHO* - to be taken with a grain of salt!
Message 16 of 31
latest reply

deltone
Community Member
OMG!! I'm sorry Bidwatcher!!! Need to get some glasses here. I was honestly "seeing" Birdwatcher!!! LOL One of those mind things I guess.......expecting it to say BIRD and not reading Bid. Sorry about that!!!

Treasure-Pot, I hear you. I live around an hour north of Toronto and find the same thing. It is ridiculous seeing that all my parcels probably clear though Toronto anyway, so for me to send a parcel to Hawaii for $2.80 and that same parcel for $5.22 seems beyond ludicrous.

The truth of the matter about shipping costs though, is very simple. Here in Canada our country is HUGE in landmass, with a VERY small population considering the physical size. We still have to service the whole country with mail. It's funded by the volume of mail generated each day, in both countries, but when you consider the difference in volume each day and yet here in Canada it still has to service a county that is larger in size, it's definitely going to cost us a lot more.

It still doesn't answer why the parcel costs so much more to go from an hour away from Toronto, than one going to Hawaii, or Alaska, or CA when it's going to clear through Toronto.

I do find though that I always make it very clear to my Cdn. buyers that it's not me charging that amount, but that it's Canada Post, and I can honestly say I've never had one complain or get angry with me.
Message 17 of 31
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
Deltone, there is no question that USPS has it all over CanadaPost in terms of economy of scale. But that is only part of the reason for the difference in postage costs.

Keep in mind that a ten fold larger population only means that USPS can send ten trucks from point A to point B whereas CanadaPost would send one. Many costs of moving the mail are fixed (wages, fuel, vehicles, etc.) whether north or south of the border so I wouldn't rush to use that as a defence for the astronomical postage we are required to pay for service within Canada.

I stand to be corrected, but CanadaPost also employs many private contractors to reduce it's costs in moving the mail. I believe much more so than USPS.

No much of the high cost of moving the mail within Canada must fall at the feet of the postal unions that work so diligently to protect their membership. Although fewer in recent years, Canada has always suffered postal disruptions that wind up raising the costs of a basic stamp. I'm trying to remember when I last heard of a general postal disruption on the south side of the border but it just isn't coming to me.

The introduction of the Expedited Parcel-USA service is a perfect indicator of how our system has gone wrong. Bravo that we can finally secure DC and for just a 20% increase in rates.

The use of the word Expedited to describe the service was obviously determined by a marketing type because the service is far from that. I am currently trying to explain to a customer in California why her package (shipped Aug 29th) still has not reached her. In fact, the DC # does not yet appear in the USPS system. A quick check reveals that CanadaPost scanned the item in Kitchener/Waterloo on the 29th and next in Mississauga on the 6th of Sept. (an hour away). A call to CanadaPost gets the response that if I wanted it in California sooner I should have used ExpressPost.

No, I'm afraid that much of the reason for our extremely high postage costs are as a result of too many inefficiencies in the system and the prevailing attitude within the rank and file of CanadaPost that customers can like it or lump it. The unfortunate part of it is that Canadian business has to compete in a world market when we already have so many millstones around our neck. CanadaPost just happens to be one of the larger ones.

Bill

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

deltone
Community Member
Treasure, truthfully, I can't really dispute or argue any of what you say. I was trying to come up with a "nice" reason for our postal costs, but yes, you're correct. The postal unions have caused a LOT of the problems. Without opening a hornet's nest, they've done that with the teachers, the Liquor Store employees (in Ontario) and the Beer Store employees. It's scandalous actually.

I find it odd that someone working in the PO makes as much or more than some police officers and other types of occupations. (depending on length of service etc)
Message 19 of 31
latest reply

e-scrooge
Community Member
It's unfortunate there's no alternative. UPS and Fedex rates are absolutely ludicrous ($17.00CAD to ship a small padded envelope to anywhere in the US via ground), and ExpressPost is costly too.

I'm close enough to literally drive across with my packages and mail them from Buffalo, but getting the stuff across the border would be nearly impossible.
Message 20 of 31
latest reply