November 4th 2015 Weekly Session

Hello everyone,

Welcome to our weekly session. please start posting at your convenience, I'll be here on & off for most of the day.

Here are the issues I am currently tracking:

• UPC codes suddenly not recognized on live listings (mjwl2006)

And the issues for which I have had news:

• SYI form stripping weight value when switching currency - I erroneously reported this one as resolved in an earlier session, actually it is being worked on as I type this.
  • Combined shipping rules disappear on new listings created via Sell Similar (merritt-motorcycle-salvage) Fixed
  • Full shipping FVF charged on combined orders with discounted shipping (dutchman48) - The billing team is investigating on this.
  • SYI preventing relist and Sell Similar if the original listing had a non compliant photo (pierrelebel) - problem has been identified and work has begun.
Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Good Afternoon,

I recall that in the month of November we were to have access to some data regarding the On Time Shipping Metric through our seller dashboard to help quell our concerns about the Fall Seller update and how we will be rated on shipping times. When will that data be available to us?

Thanks 

Message 2 of 41
latest reply

Good afternoon Raphael

Quick question today:  Is it possible for a Canadian eBay seller to open a store on eBay.com or is a Canadian seller limited to open a store on eBay.ca.

I know there is no advantage for a Canadian to open on eBay.com but that is not the question.  Is it possible?

Message 3 of 41
latest reply

@amya4295 wrote:

Good Afternoon,

I recall that in the month of November we were to have access to some data regarding the On Time Shipping Metric through our seller dashboard to help quell our concerns about the Fall Seller update and how we will be rated on shipping times. When will that data be available to us?

Thanks 

Hi amya4295,

The data has been available since Monday. You can see it when you go to your seller dashboard, there should be an overlay with your data that appears after the page loads.

I just tried on your account, it works 🙂

Message 4 of 41
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Good afternoon Raphael

Quick question today:  Is it possible for a Canadian eBay seller to open a store on eBay.com or is a Canadian seller limited to open a store on eBay.ca.

I know there is no advantage for a Canadian to open on eBay.com but that is not the question.  Is it possible?

Hi Pierre,

That's totally possible. You can open a store on any eBay site.

Message 5 of 41
latest reply

As mentioned in my reply to amya4295, everyone should now see the new Standards preview when visiting your seller dashboard. 

The preview shows you what your standards level would be at today's date under the new rules. I've taken the liberty to look at some of your accounts to see how you fare, and I'm happy to report that none of the ones I've seen would see any change in their status. On the On Time Shipping metric specifically, everyone I looked at had zero packages reported as having been late.

Note that this comes from real life data as we have been asking buyers whether packages arrived on time since August 1st. So what you see in the preview isn't fictional, it'S 100% real.

Message 6 of 41
latest reply

Hello Raphael,

Not a week goes by that we don't see at least one buyer who purchased something with the GSP and received something broken, or something completely different from what they ordered, or nothing at all.

Those buyers are left twisting in the wind trying to figure out what to do because the claims process is counterintuitive and not at all transparent. Some involve the seller and end up being out the GSP portion of their payment.

Buyers have to feel confident that they will be taken care of in case of a problem, and that the process will not be long and tortuous, with an uncertain issue. Would it be possible for someone at eBay.ca to talk to the GSP team in order to try and drive home the urgency of this problem? I know that buyers don't matter much in this scheme but unhappy buyers 1) will spread the word, 2) will never buy a GSP item again, and 3) may leave eBay altogether.

Thank you.

Message 7 of 41
latest reply

Hi Raphael...quiet day so far.

I must have jinxed myself because sellers of both .ca and .com have been complaining about various site glitches here and on Paypal for the past couple of weeks. I mentioned that I hadn't been having any problems so of course the next time I tried to sign into .ca I wasn't able to. That lasted all evening and I also wasn't able to sign into either the .ca or .com discussion boards.  There were people posting on the boards so obviously they were able to sign in but many wrote that they were having problems with various functions.

Are you able to give us any idea why there have been so many site problems lately and if the problems are going to stop soon? Is there some sort of overhaul going on and if so..why do certain problems only affect some users?

It's frustrating when there are constant glitches and I'm sure that buyers get as frustrated as sellers do. What worries me is that while a seller may keep trying to make something work...a buyer will start shopping on another site. 

Message 8 of 41
latest reply

@00nevermind00 wrote:

Hello Raphael,

Not a week goes by that we don't see at least one buyer who purchased something with the GSP and received something broken, or something completely different from what they ordered, or nothing at all.

Those buyers are left twisting in the wind trying to figure out what to do because the claims process is counterintuitive and not at all transparent. Some involve the seller and end up being out the GSP portion of their payment.

Buyers have to feel confident that they will be taken care of in case of a problem, and that the process will not be long and tortuous, with an uncertain issue. Would it be possible for someone at eBay.ca to talk to the GSP team in order to try and drive home the urgency of this problem? I know that buyers don't matter much in this scheme but unhappy buyers 1) will spread the word, 2) will never buy a GSP item again, and 3) may leave eBay altogether.

Thank you.

Hi 00nevermind00,

As I said in earlier sessions, the GSP team is well informed of all the buyer complaints we continue to bring them, and many members of the GSP team actually read the Canadian forums. Along with them, we continually work to improve the experience for Canadian and worldwide buyers alike.

Message 9 of 41
latest reply

Thanks for asking Pierre...I guess I was wrong.

Message 10 of 41
latest reply

Where do you actually see the On time Metric in your seller dashboard. My seller dashboard looks exactly the same as always. Do you see actual counts/transactions where buyers answered the shipping question? Sorry but I can't see where this option is. I see "low detailed seller ratings for shipping time" but that is if someone has left low feedback stars. 

Message 11 of 41
latest reply

<p>Good afternoon.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Can you clarify for us what is meant when the current defects will be replaced by the we rules? Does it mean retained or removed?</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Also, paypal shipping is not recognizing the full range of places served by Canada Post Tracked Packet. Is this an eBay plug-in on the paypal shipping page?</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>When can we expect the Markdown Manager to return to functioning?</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Why are we all experiencing site crashes?</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Thanks,Maureen&nbsp;</p>
Message 12 of 41
latest reply

(I'm on a mobile device at present. Apparently, there's a problem posting for me.)
Message 13 of 41
latest reply

And I don't see any new standards on my dashboard.
Message 14 of 41
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Hi Raphael...quiet day so far.

I must have jinxed myself because sellers of both .ca and .com have been complaining about various site glitches here and on Paypal for the past couple of weeks. I mentioned that I hadn't been having any problems so of course the next time I tried to sign into .ca I wasn't able to. That lasted all evening and I also wasn't able to sign into either the .ca or .com discussion boards.  There were people posting on the boards so obviously they were able to sign in but many wrote that they were having problems with various functions.

Hi pjcdn,

This happened because we saw you were gloating about not having any issues, and immediately remedied the situation. 😉

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Are you able to give us any idea why there have been so many site problems lately and if the problems are going to stop soon? Is there some sort of overhaul going on and if so..why do certain problems only affect some users?

It's frustrating when there are constant glitches and I'm sure that buyers get as frustrated as sellers do. What worries me is that while a seller may keep trying to make something work...a buyer will start shopping on another site. 

Joking aside, if I was able to answer these questions, I would be a very rich man. Truth is, we have a tremendously complex site, more so than any of the other marketplaces out there. Bugs will occur, that's inevitable for any technology platform or industry. Thankfully, we have very capable engineers at the helm and we can usually fix issues in a timely manner. As for buyers leaving, I can,t say that none will but numbers do show that our buyer base has continued to grow so I wouldn't be worried about running out of buyers any time soon.

Message 15 of 41
latest reply

@amya4295 wrote:

Where do you actually see the On time Metric in your seller dashboard. My seller dashboard looks exactly the same as always. Do you see actual counts/transactions where buyers answered the shipping question? Sorry but I can't see where this option is. I see "low detailed seller ratings for shipping time" but that is if someone has left low feedback stars. 

When you go to your seller dashboard, don't touch anything, a window should appear over the dashboard to show you the preview. If you see the normal dashboard it means you probably closed that window.

When I log in as you and go to your dashboard, I see the preview just fine.

Message 16 of 41
latest reply

Hello again.

Some follow-up questions from my list of questions last week, if you please.

I recently discovered means to report stolen item descriptions and pictures is gone from the drop-down menu. As is the means which one may report harassment by another member from messages. Why?

What Question does a buyer whose order has been fulfilled by Local Pickup see? The order hasn't 'shipped' at all so therefore they can't answer it honestly 'yes' if they paid CASH and picked it up the same-day. If they answer 'no' I'll get a defect. Does Cash on Pickup render The Question void?

How will ebay track for the purposes of the question which of my items were paid and subsequently shipped before my same-day cut-off time of Noon EST? And which after? What assurance do I have that the feedback on-time question will provide the buyer the right dates if he paid for an item after the same-day cut-off time and it therefore had its acceptance scan the following business day, as is allowed.

Message 17 of 41
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
Can you clarify for us what is meant when the current defects will be replaced by the we rules? Does it mean retained or removed?

Hi Maureen,

On February 20th, you'll be evaluated under the new rules. The old rules will no longer be in effect. There are no defect replacement, just a change in the rules. If you had 5 defects under the old rules and only 3 under the new ones, on Feb 20th you'll have 3 defects only. Hope this helps!

@mjwl2006 wrote:
Also, paypal shipping is not recognizing the full range of places served by Canada Post Tracked Packet. Is this an eBay plug-in on the paypal shipping page?

The PayPal shipping platform has nothing to do with eBay. Sorry but I can no longer help with this.

@mjwl2006 wrote:
When can we expect the Markdown Manager to return to functioning?

All I know is the right team is aware and the bug is tracked (meaning it's being worked on).

@mjwl2006 wrote:
Why are we all experiencing site crashes?

Another thing that would make me very rich if I could answer 🙂 Joking aside, can you elaborate on what you mean by site crashes?

Message 18 of 41
latest reply

Okay, thanks. I think my browser blocks pop-ups so that might be the reason I see nothing new.

Also, the paypal shipping problem is very frustrating to me since when I call paypal they tell me it's Canada Post at fault and when I call Canada Post they tell me it's a paypal deficit.
Message 19 of 41
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
I recently discovered means to report stolen item descriptions and pictures is gone from the drop-down menu. As is the means which one may report harassment by another member from messages. Why?

I wasn't aware of this, but you can always use the Contact Us link on the Help & Contact page and choose Report a member to get in touch with CS to file a report.

@mjwl2006 wrote:
What Question does a buyer whose order has been fulfilled by Local Pickup see? The order hasn't 'shipped' at all so therefore they can't answer it honestly 'yes' if they paid CASH and picked it up the same-day. If they answer 'no' I'll get a defect. Does Cash on Pickup render The Question void?

The question for buyers on On Time Shipping is only shown for transactions where it applies. If the buyer checks out with Cash on Pickup as the shipping option, it's doesn't apply.

@mjwl2006 wrote:
How will ebay track for the purposes of the question which of my items were paid and subsequently shipped before my same-day cut-off time of Noon EST? And which after? What assurance do I have that the feedback on-time question will provide the buyer the right dates if he paid for an item after the same-day cut-off time and it therefore had its acceptance scan the following business day, as is allowed.

The only way we can track the time at which you put an item in the mail is if you use a tracked service. For those, we want to see a valid tracking number uploaded to eBay. Any transactions for which the items were shipped untracked cannot be measured that way. For the estimated delivery, the clock starts when a buyer pays, not when the listing ends. So does your handling time BTW. So it's impossible that a buyer would pay after your stated handling time. 

Message 20 of 41
latest reply