OFF TOPIC: We arrived in Ottawa today and our daughter....

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi Everyone,

A quick note to say hello and let you know that we arrived in Ottawa today right on time. When we got off of the train my daughter and son-in-law along with our first granddaughter, Sara, were there to meet us.

Jamie said, "I love you Mom but we have to hurry. I need to go to the hospital because I'm in labor!" So...off we all went! They didn't keep her, but told her to try and get further along at home.

So...home we all went. We made dinner, had Sara's birthday party and she opened her gifts and then Jamie said.....I GOT TO GO...TO THE HOSPITAL, THAT IS!

And, at 9:50 PM our new granddaughter said hello to the world weighing in at 7 lb. 7 ounces.

We're not allowed in to visit until 4 PM tomorrow so it will be a long wait...but we'll have lots of extra days to spend with MIA since she arrived early!

Here's hoping that all of you are having good luck with your holiday sales!

And, recped....listen up! I tried to fit some great weather in our suitcases but ran out of room! What I did notice was TONS of snow...right until Toronto and then downtown Toronto was like a part of another world. No snow. Nothing!

The scenery....breathtaking. The train....very comfortable. And, goodness gracious I felt like MY GRANDMOTHER when I put on one of those eye masks for sleeping! But even funnier was seeing my 6 year old wear hers! They worked! We all slept great.

Take care!
Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

And, recped....listen up!

I'm listening.....the weather during your brief visit was great (relatively speaking), now that's you've gone I see we have 5 days of snow flurries in the forecast.

Now the question is....did you bring skates! I was in Ottawa last Monday and the canal was actually frozen over which is extremely rare for this early in the season (last few years it's been well into January).

Glad to hear the trip went well and the timing was spot on.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

bare_bright
Community Member
WoW congratulation's!!!

Talk about a busy weekend , Enjoy the The newborns , Children are so beautiful unfortunately they grow up so fast

When I think about it, seems last last week my kids were born and now one is 25 and the other 27

time flies & I am getting old lol

have a good one

Tibor
T.J.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Thanks recped and Tibor for your good wishes.

So sorry that the weather forcast has taken a change for you recped. I tried!

We didn't bring our skates this time because like you said....it's rare that this early in the season that the canal is frozen over. Just our luck that this time it is. I was thinking about that on the train when lake after lake was frozen solid. Oh, well...another time!

I'm staying at the hospital tonight and my son-in-law will be home because he didn't get much sleep last night!

Here's hoping you all have a wonderful day!

Take care!
Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Welcome to Ottawa!!! Don't follow recped's advice though... the Canal may look frozen but it needs a number of -20 degree nights to really get it ready for skating... usually after Christmas and near New Year's they open up a short portion of it. Hopefully with the World Junior Hockey tournament in town this year it will be opened in time for all our International visitors to get a chance to skate on a "natural wonder".

It's funny, the Canal, not unlike Parliament Hill and the national museums, are one of those things that we that live in Ottawa take for granted.

Congrats on the birth of your 2nd grand-daughter in our beautiful city...
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

stittsville11
Community Member
Congratulations on the birth of your granddaughter and welcome to Ottawa.

What Patchking said is correct. The canal is not open and will not be for sometime yet. So do not fret. You aren't missing any skating.

We are indeed fortunate to live in such an amazing place as Ottawa. It has so much to offer.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Hi Susan,

What an exciting trip! Congratulations on the new granddaughter! Your timing was absolutely perfect and I am glad you will get lots of "granny" time in there. Make sure you send me some pictures or, better still, put them on your About Me page so everyone can see them.

I just found out I am going to be a grandma again too, about May or June. My son and his wife are not sure of the due date yet. We have 3 grandsons now and a step-granddaughter. Can't wait to see what the new one will be.

We were out of town doing a craft show today and everyone packed up a little early because it was getting nasty out. The drive home wasn't bad but we have lots more snow now with much more on the way.

I'll bet your other daughters were excited and probably can't wait to see their new niece. I am sure you will all have a wonderful time.

Judy
Message 7 of 7
latest reply