October 9th Weekly Board Hour

Hi everyone,

Please post your questions - we'll be here at 1PM sharp!

Thanks, 

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Original post:

@pierrelebel wrote:

I am confused.

Here is eBay's policy: http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/sellingresources/phototoptips.html

When eBay Customer Support is contacted, they keep telling sellers that they do not allow scanned images,

????

Has there been a change of policy?  Has someone in San Jose lost his common sense?

How can sellers in the "stamps" category take images of their stamps for sale?  either individually or in sets?  The practice in the trade has long been to use a scanner to get the .jpg images and load such images on eBay.

Why is eBay silent on the possibility of scanning instead of taking photos?  Why is your support staff unaware that scanning is a well established method of getting clear images for postage stamps (and many other products for sale on eBay such as trading cards, etc...)

Hi Pierre,

May I ask whether you had listings taken down due to your photos having been scans of your stamps, or are you just inquiring about what CS said about scans? The Seller Information Centre page you linked to doesn't mention scans at all.

Despite whatever CS said, I wonder how anyone could make the difference between the scan of a stamp and a close up picture of the same stamp. I'll report your comments to the relevant team regardless and make sure the right information is being propagated to the CS teams, but as far as I know, there are no rules to prevent stamp sellers from scanning their pictures.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Looking at the GSP Comments and Questions threads, have these been forwarded to the GSP team? Will someone from the GSP team come over to address the recurring concerns expressed by Canadian ebayers about the program?

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@00nevermind00 wrote:

Looking at the GSP Comments and Questions threads, have these been forwarded to the GSP team? Will someone from the GSP team come over to address the recurring concerns expressed by Canadian ebayers about the program?

Hi 00nevermind00,

We do have someone from the US who's helping out. His name is Ben & I can see that he's addressed a couple questions already. HIs responses will be marked with a blue border to indicate he's an eBay employee. He's just acclamating himself with our Community, but note that he won't be able to address every question.

Thanks,

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Hi Kalvin et al,

We were the ones who brought this issue to Pierre's attention when we asked him if he knew about it.

In the course of appealing a duplicate listing violation last week and then again this Monday, I was told that scanned images are not allowed, only digital photos. I received this instruction from the second level customer service person I spoke with, in policy compliance I believe.

(The items in question were stamps with matching titles, "Canada #1-195 Precancel" but with different descriptions noting the placename, and clearly different scans.)

-Matt

Ian Kimmerly Stamps

Ottawa, Canada

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Thanks Kalvin. I've read some of Ben's answers and I do not doubt his desire to be helpful, but they always seem very general. Could we get someone from the GSP team to address some of the specific, recurring concerns expressed? For example, it seems very difficult for buyers to recover the Pitney Bowes portion of the fees if the item fails to arrive. It would be nice to see someone from the GSP team address this perfectly legitimate concern specifically. That's only one example, I'm sure there are many others.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@iankimmerly wrote:

Hi Kalvin et al,

We were the ones who brought this issue to Pierre's attention when we asked him if he knew about it.

In the course of appealing a duplicate listing violation last week and then again this Monday, I was told that scanned images are not allowed, only digital photos. I received this instruction from the second level customer service person I spoke with, in policy compliance I believe.

(The items in question were stamps with matching titles, "Canada #1-195 Precancel" but with different descriptions noting the placename, and clearly different scans.)

-Matt

Ian Kimmerly Stamps

Ottawa, Canada

Hi Matt,

Seems like this is a simple case of CS error or oversight. When you think about it, a scan is effectively a digital photo so as I said in my previous response to Pierre, this is kind of a moot point. 

Looking at your live listings, I suppose most of them have scanned images of the stamps you sell? All of these look fine to me and I really don't think you need to change your best practices despite what the representative told you.

I've reached out to the relevant people to make sure the right information is carried in our internal communications to customer support reps.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@00nevermind00 wrote:

Thanks Kalvin. I've read some of Ben's answers and I do not doubt his desire to be helpful, but they always seem very general. Could we get someone from the GSP team to address some of the specific, recurring concerns expressed? For example, it seems very difficult for buyers to recover the Pitney Bowes portion of the fees if the item fails to arrive. It would be nice to see someone from the GSP team address this perfectly legitimate concern specifically. That's only one example, I'm sure there are many others.

We're working to establish a closer relatioship with the GSP team, and this is the first step in that direction. Because he's voluntarily helping out, he won't be able to address every question. His responses will also naturally be general, as he and the Community collectively build on our knowledge of the Global Shipping Platform. For anything he can't address, he'll reach out to his team to source out an answer.

Regarding specific concerns, ie, refunds, contacing Customer Support is still the best way to go - they should be able to help address these types of questions.

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Yes, all of our listings are supported with scans. I doubt there are many stamp dealers who use digital cameras in preference to flatbed scanners. The level of detail required is too great, as well as scanners avoiding barrel distortion on larger items (such as sheets of stamps, covers, books etc.) Scanners provide consistent illumination and the truest colour.

When the new photo requirements came into effect, many of our scans had to be redone or items removed. We do have some 3000 listings that are less than 500px but are "grandfathered." But we left the matter with an assurance that where the photos clearly showed that two stamps were different and the difference was clear in the description, even where they had the same title, the listing could stand. Now we're seeing such examples removed yet again.

To be told (twice) that eBay would no longer allow scans made us wonder if eBay is moving towards using EXIF data to detect duplicates.

At our retail store, for example, we have a specialty collection on offer with has literally thousands of the same stamp, with different postmarks. To list these on eBay individually would be folly, and yet collecting are all about that "one special stamp."

-Matt

Ian Kimmerly Stamps

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

zittz
Community Member

Wondering if ebay is giving any consideration to discontinuing the best offer beta policy

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@zittz wrote:

Wondering if ebay is giving any consideration to discontinuing the best offer beta policy

Hi zittz,

There are no current plans to discontinue the program.

Thanks,

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Thanks for participating - have a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend!

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 14 of 14
latest reply