Oh, Canada Post .....

Sticking it to us again - this time in terms of workload and hassle instead of $$$.

Just went to my local CP company outlet with my usual mix of Expedited and Small Packet parcels.
It seems that as of today Canada Post has a new method of handling Expedited (and Expresspost I think); no longer are we to use the 2-part stick-on expedited forms, the PO will now print an expedited sticker at time of sale with a tracking # on it. You get no receipt other than the cash register tape. The tracking # is printed on the cash register tape - but if you have a dozen parcels you have no way of knowing which is which!! I am now unable to provide my customers with an accurate tracking number, and if something goes missing, I have no way of identifying the right tracking # for an insurance claim.

These people have S**t for brains. I'm going to have no choice but to use the online service, with all its problems.

AAARGH!!
Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Oh, Canada Post .....

rd1000
Community Member
I hope you are joking. THis is unbelievable. CP must have a whole staff of employees just dreaming about ways to put the screws to us.

Rob
Message 2 of 29
latest reply

Oh, Canada Post .....

toolshacker
Community Member
You should use online anyway, you save an additional 2% and print your own labels, and just ignore the part about having to put US parcels into shipment at the post office..Drop them in a mailbox, I have had 100% success with online, over 100 parcels in 3 months.....Rob
Message 3 of 29
latest reply

Oh, Canada Post .....

magicpixiedust
Community Member
what i do is mark each box on the outside corner the buyers "ebay" name so when i get the cash receipt, i quickly look at the postage paid on that box and match it to the receipt and write on my receipt the buyers name. So i can then email them with their tracking number. Havent seen the new forms yet - still have the carbon copy here - but it may be coming here too - hope this helps
Message 4 of 29
latest reply

Oh, Canada Post .....

They did this a few months back at my post office. All the more reason to use EST.
Message 5 of 29
latest reply

Oh, Canada Post .....

llee2
Community Member
Okay, I tried Expedited Parcel USA on the EST. What is this commercial invoice sheet that gets printed? We're supposed to put it in a clear envelope on the package according to the instructions? Now if this is regular Expedited Parcel and not Commercial Expedited, why the extra form? Anyone know?

Lincoln
Message 6 of 29
latest reply

Oh, Canada Post .....

ospreylinks
Community Member
We use the desk top version (clunky) and ship to US. It prints off a shipping label to be affixed to the box, plus the commecial invoice sheet (which is for customs clearing), that you sign and then put in a separate clear mailer and also affix to the package.

Jeff

PS - Then Canada Post and the USPS ignores any shipping standard and do as they wish with the parcel.
Message 7 of 29
latest reply

Oh, Canada Post .....

catseye*
Community Member
In a SEPARATE clear mailer?? I put them together in the same one...

*JMHO* - to be taken with a grain of salt!
Message 8 of 29
latest reply

Oh, Canada Post .....

mirakbiz_inc
Community Member
If you print the labels in plain paper, then you can use the same pouch. If you have a thermal printer (labels) Then you need the pouch for the invoice.

I ship Xpresspost and Small Packet air to the US. For Small Packet I enter the customs info directly on the Desktop version and the label prints all the data for customs (really neat, looks very professional) For XpressPost the system prints the Customs Invoice but I never send that, I instead attach a Green Customs Label with a basic description and cost. Never had a problem

I often use pre-paid XpressPost USA envelopes to ship items. They are a lot cheaper that regular XpressPost and as long as it has the green sticker never had one returned.
Message 9 of 29
latest reply

Oh, Canada Post .....

akide
Community Member
The new way of xpresspost and expedited parcel, the postal code is printed on the receipt and then the package tracking number, so if then you can match up your customers by their postal codes, with their tracking number. no fuss no muss.
Message 10 of 29
latest reply

Oh, Canada Post .....

Lots more work.
Message 11 of 29
latest reply

Oh, Canada Post .....

llee2
Community Member
Brought a couple of US Expedited Parcels to the local PO and nothing has changed yet here. So what's this new method? Do we still have the same form to fill out for Expedited US?

Lincoln
Message 12 of 29
latest reply

Oh, Canada Post .....

Yes... my post office just "upgraded" or "side-graded" if you prefer. The new system is only applicable to Canadian Expedited. USA Expedited is still the same.

My cash register tape is now about 3 feet long.

Heh heh heh. Nice.
Message 13 of 29
latest reply

Oh, Canada Post .....

akide
Community Member
hehe ya. i sent out 7 items with expedited and the print out was super long, and they print out two copies of the same receipt one for the store and one for me.. people waiting in line for my shipping were pissed =D
Message 14 of 29
latest reply

Oh, Canada Post .....

This gets funnier ....

My PO just asked me to revert to the old system (completing the Expedited form) as they apparently have an "overstock" of rolls of .59cent stamps. They are now bypassing the expedited label and stamp generated by the system, and hand-applying postage using .59cent stamps. My packages with $12 postage now have that super-professional look, going out with 20+ stamps stuck all over the front. They estimate it will take them until JUNE to use up the old stock.

Your dollars at work here, guys!

Ann
Message 15 of 29
latest reply

Oh, Canada Post .....

Hey Ann... same thing with my post office. I went so far as to email all of the people who I was sending packages to and told them what was going on -- so they didn't think I looked like an idiot.

One of my packages went out with about 20 round "golfing" stamps all over the darn package.

We were all chuckling about it at the Post Office, but I was a little miffed.
Message 16 of 29
latest reply

Oh, Canada Post .....

PO asked you to place 12.00 in stamps?

And you agreed?

I just drop my packages on the counter, give a wave and leave.

Angelo
Message 17 of 29
latest reply

Oh, Canada Post .....

*cough* EST *cough cough*

:)
Message 18 of 29
latest reply

Oh, Canada Post .....

Ha. I am using EST now ... but I had to get a Business Credit Card first (just got it last friday). I sure was looking forward to the discounts -- only to find out there were none. I ship Small Packet 99.9% of the time. Damn.

And no, I *we* don't place the stamps. We have to stand there while the counter personel for CP place the stamps, and boy did we all laugh. They think these policies are as stupid as you and I think they are.

John
Message 19 of 29
latest reply

Oh, Canada Post .....

discountlabelsupplies
Community Member
one more reason to use the desktop tools or online tools. print off the waybill, stick it in the free clear envelope and drop off at main post office. (i dont' drop off any more, they pick up daily). Once per month they bill my visa.
Message 20 of 29
latest reply