Ontario Teachers Pension Plan is Heartless

The Ontario Teacher's Pension Plan own a Long Term Care Facility here in Red Deer by the name of Symphony Aspen Ridge. My wife is a Alzheimer's patient at the facility. The facility is going on strike at 1:00 p.m. on January 25th. The OTPP wants a 30 to 40% profit on the operations and have not given the staff any raises for 5 years. That being said, the other day they gave out raises and one care giver who has been there 3 years got 10 cents per hour. The highest I heard of was 35 cents per hour. They might as well not have given anything.

Yesterday I got a call and the 44 patients in the facility are being evicted. We have one year to make other arrangements. The current waiting list is 18 months and as of today there are zero beds available within the 100 kilometre radius. There are no new facilities coming on stream for 18 months and only about 20 beds.

This cowardly act by the OTPP has caused a health care crisis. I sure wouldn't be bragging if I were an Ontario teacher. Is this any way to treat our loved ones?

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

You are not telling us anything new about the Ontario teachers union.   Money has been the number one priority for them ever since they started bullying the taxpayer.

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

Do they own it or are they just the investors? All I can find is the home is owned in Ontario.

It's a huge place, and fair sized staff, but nothing is mentioned about nurses. It does say 'practical nurses' but they are not full fledged 'nurses'. I'm wondering if they hired practical nurses to do the work of nurses so they could be paid less.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 36
latest reply

They do in fact own the facility with Symphony under contract to administer it. The caregiving staff is comprised (as it is in Ontario) of Licenced Practical Nurses and Registered   Caregivers. The kitchen staff were all certified with top ranked chefs. Where it becomes a bad situation (like Ontario) is the waiting list is 18 months for us to find another bed but only 12 months to vacate the current room.

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

The same Ontario Teachers who went on an illegal strike last month:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/12/18/mcguinty-urges-return-to-bargaining-table-as-35000-ontario-t... 

By the way;

Annual starting salary for a new teacher at lowest and highest pay rates: $45,709, $55,404

Salary for a teacher with more than 10 years of service at the lowest and highest pay rates: $76,021, $94,707

Teachers are credited for 20 sick days per year.

Teachers have an extended health-care plan that is 100-per-cent funded by the employer and dental plan funded 94 per cent by the employer. They also have group life insurance coverage, with the first $35,000 of coverage paid by the board and any additional coverage paid by the teacher.

Teachers receive a pension based on their years of service and their best five years’ average salary. A teacher who retires with a full pension, worked for 32 years and earned a best-five-years average salary of $60,000 would have a basic pension of $38,400. A teacher earning $90,000 a year with 32 years of service would have an annual pension of $57,600.

...and the list goes on.

Fair?

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

Don't forget that  employer   in the previous post means  taxpayer

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

Fair?

Depends on how you look at it....what you are comparing it to....what degrees they have....where they work....etc etc.

I'm not defending teachers....just saying.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 36
latest reply

".what you are comparing it to...."

The folks who work for them and have not had a raise in years - original post!

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

I whole heartedly agree.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 36
latest reply

This is just gonna be the tip of the iceberg after the European Free Trade deal goes through, along with a few more years of Harper pandering to corporations and various other debacles, such as more caving in to China's wants and desires...

The operative principle here is, if you have the power, you have to use and leverage it to the max. The teachers are only behaving like any other corporation that could, would. You are obligated by corporate ethics of today to take anything that isn't nailed down. I have seen this principle in action in other countries, like some where you routinely remove your windshield wipers when you park your car - because if you didn't they would be guaranteed 100% to be gone when you came back to your car.

This principle is now in full operation on the corporate scale in the western world - make no mistake.

Whereas even 20 years ago one would have rightly expected a labour-rooted organization to be at least respectful of fair labour practices, nowadays a teacher's pension fund is just another corporate clone. A windshield wiper stealing machine on a massive scale (with the proviso that they stay within what could be arguably interpreted as the law in a given situation). 

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

The Ontario Teacher's Pension Plan own a Long Term Care Facility

To be somewhat fair (and, no, I am not a teacher). this ownership is probably what is referred to as "arms length".  Yes, they own it.  Yes, it is run by another company (Symphony).  Yes, the OTPP would make their profit goals known to the managing company - that is general business practice.  As well, the OTPP is run buy a management group - none of whom are likely to be teachers.  They would be highly experienced financial managers and planners.  Would the OTPP be aware of how the management company achieved that goal - not likely.

Most of the teachers would only have a very limited knowledge of where their money is invested. It is unlikely that too many of them bother to read the financial statements, as long as the results are good.

The OTPP is one of the largest and most powerful groups of its kind.  When OTPP makes a significant change in its portfolio, it can cause serious ripples on the financial markets. 

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

Thanks for the posts. Yes you are right about making their profit margins known. They are wanting to keep a 30 to 40% profit margin as per Symphony. This is taxpayer dollars that we are talking about. My personal cost is about $2000 and the Government of Alberta kick the same amount in each month. If I wish to keep her in this facility I have to pay the $4000 per month myself.

Incidently, this cost and time frame of 18 months to get a bed is the same across Canada. This is a disease that affects 750,000 Canadians and by 2020 will have 1,000,000 Canadians. The sad part of this disease is it also consumes the families and 78% of the care givers die before the Alzheimer patient.

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

"Most of the teachers would only have a very limited knowledge of where their money is invested. It is unlikely that too many of them bother to read the financial statements, as long as the results are good."

And that is the problem!

Investors need a social concience. That applies to teachers too.  I am not suggesting they should insist that all workers in the businesses they invest in should make big wages with tons of benefits like they do.  Just fairness.

To let low wage earners go without any raise or cost of living adjustments for years may be necessary at time for some businesses to survice.  That is not the case here.  It is greed.  Nothing but greed.

Should teachers invest in tobacco companies - whose products kill millions of people - just because they can get a good return on their investment? Or mines in Africa where miners earn next to nothing?

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

Should teachers invest in tobacco companies - whose products kill millions of people - just because they can get a good return on their investment? Or mines in Africa where miners earn next to nothing?

Well as Kevin Leary would say and did say on the TV show the Dragons……”I don’t care what it is, I only want to make moneyyyyyyyyyyyyyy”.

But you are correct….there should be far more of a ‘social conscience’.  But do people have a social conscience anymore? Every day I look around me and I look on the computer and I don’t see much of it left......and then if you do have a conscience....you get attacked and ridiculed for it.

Photobucket
Message 14 of 36
latest reply

Every day I look around me and I look on the computer and I don’t see much of it left......and then if you do have a conscience....you get attacked and ridiculed for it.

Well then stop attacking people for speaking with a conscience!

Message 15 of 36
latest reply

"……”I don’t care what it is, I only want to make moneyyyyyyyyyyyyyy”."

That's OK for Kevin to put his money wherever he wants.

The question is: "Should Ontario teachers do ?" or should they be held to a higher standard?

Message 16 of 36
latest reply

"I don’t see much of it left......"

Maybe, just maybe, you are looking at the wrong thing or the wrong place.

Message 17 of 36
latest reply

That's OK for Kevin to put his money wherever he wants.

That’s true. The problem is…..he and many others teach other people the same concept and he is idolized and quoted by many. Then on one hand those ‘students’ not only follow his example and that of others and they say “leave me alone to do with my money what I wish”…..and the people say “yes that is your right”.  But then a situation arises and the same people say to others “that is not your right, you shouldn’t put your money there”.

There are many people who have ‘investments’ in many forms and I wonder if they reallllllly know where all the money goes? I think not….and probably hope they never know, because ignorance is bliss.

Maybe, just maybe, you are looking at the wrong thing or the wrong place.

No I don’t think so. You will notice I used the word “much” meaning there are still those who restore my faith in humanity. I met one just the other day…..a man in his late 60’s going to Africa with his 70 year old sister to help the unfortunate of a village. No they have no religious ties, or political ties, just two people who are doing their part. He went to a store and bought every soccer ball in the store and then had them deflated and he is packing them in three large suitcases. The children of the village now play soccer with stones. The soccer balls will not change their lives but they will make them a little happier. His sister is taking other things the village needs. I am grateful to meet people like that and others who have a conscience, but I also see those who do not and they seem to advertise their hated and racism and bigotry in the world with great zeal and as some have said …..they are even ‘proud’ to be who they are!!! Which reminds me I have something I have been working on and haven’t completed.

They have no conscience mikey.

''Those who do not fight against hatred and bigotry, give it permission to continue.''

Photobucket
Message 18 of 36
latest reply

The teachers need to take a long hard look at what they're investing in.

So many productive things that could be done rather than run old folks and their homes into the ground.

Message 19 of 36
latest reply

The OTPP owns  several large malls.   The rent is so high that many of the stores are empty.

They make it difficult to operate a store in a mall since they base the rent on sales.

Message 20 of 36
latest reply