Overdue end to pathetic sideshow

While Attawapiskat Chief Theresa Spence was mesmerizing the gullible with her bogus hunger strike, NDP Leader Thomas Mulcair was avoiding any association with her poorly conceived publicity stunt.

Why is that?

One would think that since the left was so taken by Spence's mission to embarrass the Harper government that Mulcair would have been there on a regular basis, stirring the pot of fish broth, and using it as an opportunity to create a wedge issue that might strength the NDP's presence in the polls.

But he was nowhere to be found.

And where was Theresa Spence's NDP MP, the camera-loving and usually overly-vocal Charlie Angus who, only a year ago, was literally weeping in feigned shock over the deplorable conditions on the frozen environs of the Cree reserve of Attawapiskat, even though he knew for years that conditions there were brutal?

The last we heard from Angus he was blogging for the Huffington Post some 11 days into Spence's diet and, according to the hyperbole of the headline, begging the prime minister "to step in now before Theresa Spence dies." Since then? Not much.

Fool me once, et cetera.

Instead, both Mulcair and Angus left the work of talking Spence down from her tree to Interim Liberal Leader Bob Rae and Cree NDP MP Romeo Saganash -- the turning point supposedly the signing of 13-point plan by the NDP, the Liberals and others to pressure the Harper government on issues that include treaty rights and violence against aboriginal women.

And, let's not forget the role of Spence's fed-up band council demanding she either return or face ouster.

But good for Saganash, if his involvement holds true.

After being absent-with-leave since October to deal with alcohol dependency, he has only held his position as the NDP's critic for intergovernmental aboriginal affairs for a little over a week.

And, no sooner is he out of rehab and on the job than he was helping convince Spence to end her charade to save whatever face remains.

We commend him for a job well done, and suggest to Spence that she now turn her attention to receipts and spreadsheets.

Really, enough is enough.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/01/25/overdue-end-to-pathetic-sideshow

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Some people should try reading better media coverage.

I'm not even going to waste time pointing out how misinformed that article was.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 28
latest reply

Interesting article, Puck.  

Thank you for posting it.  Thomas Mulcair has done himself well, I think.

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

Thank you for small favors.

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

While Attawapiskat Chief Theresa Spence was mesmerizing the gullible with her bogus hunger strike = NDP Leader Thomas Mulcair was avoiding any association with her poorly conceived publicity stunt.

In my opinion, Mulcair didn't buy the whole hunger strike scam.  Looking at the pictures of her on the day the diet ended - and those taken much earlier - well, she looks the same.

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

P.S.  The article is one person's opinion.  As usual, if it does not support your views of the natives, it is "misinformed".

Although, I rarely read the Sun, I have found that they have done a good job in covering all sides of the native situation.  Usually, I shun the Sun because of all their ads.  Hard to believe how many trees must die each year to support a huge newspaper with 20 pages of actual news in it (and that's on a good day).

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

One seldom sees a new diet fad receive this kinda free publicity, but the actor and her entourage tugged on the heart strings of the gullible.  Even some Liberal and NDP politicians couldn't resist the lure of a photo op.

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

The article is one person's opinion

An 'opinion' is ...... "A view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge."

And that is what that article is.........without knowledge. Hence because it is without knowledge....it is 'misinformed'.....the definition of which is "to give false or inaccurate information."

Also the attack at MP Romeo Saganash using his absence in the article was underhanded and a viscious personal attack at the MP which.....had nothing to do with the situation. This is typical of both the Sun and the Harper US style government. If this is the type of tripe people use to prop up their hate mongering then it says a lot about the type of people they are. The type of people I have no use for. It is no wonder that the Sun Media is in financial trouble, it shows that thankfully there are intelligent people left in this country who consider that newspaper of less worth than than paper found on the bottom of a bird cage.  

Photobucket
Message 8 of 28
latest reply

"After being absent-with-leave since October to deal with alcohol dependency, he has only held his position as the NDP's critic for intergovernmental aboriginal affairs for a little over a week.

And, no sooner is he out of rehab and on the job than he was helping convince Spence to end her charade to save whatever face remains.

We commend him for a job well done,.."

And I commend the Toronto Sun for stating these facts factually.

After one sees the depths somebody here will go to to denigrate our PM, perhaps some news about another politician shouldn't result in such whining.

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

After one sees the depths somebody here will go to to denigrate our PM, perhaps some news about another politician shouldn't result in such whining.

I'm sure that sentiment is in the minds of many, practically on a daily basis, around here, no matter which party you affiliate yourself with.

Beware of kittens with red bows, bullies in bandannas, and whining broken records.

€ Lucifleur

~Lucifleur
Message 10 of 28
latest reply

A lot could be said about Harper but is not, because people stick to the subject instead of bringing in things about him that have nothing to do with subject.

We all know why the Sun 'casually' mentioned that a man was in rehab for alcohol, because it's a racist newspaper. Everyone from one side of Canada to the other knows it is, that's no secret.

Neither did that 'editorial' writer have the intestinal fortitude to put his or her name to it. Why? Because it is also well known that racists are cowards. In the past they went out in the dark of night to burn churches or light crosses on lawns, or in the past in other countries they dressed in uniforms and were only brave in a mob as they dragged their prey off to 'camps'. However with new technology they can now ply their hatred from their homes and send it into newspapers and other areas of the internet to continue their hate mongering simply because some other people are of a different skin pigment or race. But it doesn't matter if they are on horseback on someone's lawn, or wearing a uniform, or sending a letter to an editor....racists always were and always will be, cowards.   

Photobucket
Message 11 of 28
latest reply

...casually mentioned that a man was in rehab for alcohol...

Yes, was that really needed to be memorialized in print.

Not that i have any history in regards to any type of Rehab, but i have always thought it takes a lot of courage to come to the realization one has an addiction problem & then enters rehab.

Obviously the Sun does not share my thoughts or those of others.

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

Yes, was that really needed to be memorialized in print.

And......was it necessary to repeat?

And if it for some reason was repeated, why did the person at least not say "I disagree with that part"?

And why would someone say they commended the Sun?

To ignore prejudice and hatred is allowing it permission to exist.

But of course there are those in Canada who agree with it.

Photobucket
Message 13 of 28
latest reply

I don't know what was worse Deacon, The Sun Chain or the Hearst Chain in the States in the 60s & 70s. 

I guess the stories in the Hearst papers would be considered tame by the Sun's standards today.

I will still go on record saying that they have a great sports page. The rest is birdcage material.

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

A lot could be said about Harper but is not, because people stick to the subject instead of bringing in things about him that have nothing to do with subject.

You can make that statement without your nose growing six inches.  You take every opportunity to bash Harper.  You bring his name into many threads that have nothing to do with him.  All those who think that I am not speaking the truth - speak now.

Oh, yes!  I will get the "show me where I did that".   Don't bother!  It would be a wasted effort as you would find a way to spin it.

Message 15 of 28
latest reply

Well if you can't show me, then the words are all hyperbole.

Photobucket
Message 16 of 28
latest reply

The Sun Chain or the Hearst Chain in the States in the 60s & 70s. I guess the stories in the Hearst papers would be considered tame by the Sun's standards today.

I'm not familiar with the Hearst chain back in those days. In them there days I was demonstrating for things like civil rights in the US. Sadly, and I still carry the guilt feelings with me to this day..... that I had virtually no knowledge of what was being done to our own First Nations in Canada.

Photobucket
Message 17 of 28
latest reply

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

Seems like the Globe and Mail and the Huffington Post and a whole bunch of other news sources all reported the same thing.

But only Sun Media should be criticized...if you subscribe to the very narrow minded views of some closed minds here.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-notebook/ndp-mp-romeo-saganash-apologizes-for-public-drunkenness-on-plane/article4629646/

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

You can make that statement without your nose growing six inches.  You take every opportunity to bash Harper.  You bring his name into many threads that have nothing to do with him.  All those who think that I am not speaking the truth - speak now.

You posted an accurate statement.  

And CTS is a turn-off for many because of the bashing.  Not just of Harper, and /or the Conservative Patry, contempt sneering contempt is gratuitously extended towards any who voice support for the above.

And this will not change, because the poster has a delusional sense of intellectual superiority over people who disagree with him.  Truly, a Troll

Message 20 of 28
latest reply