Oversized Lettermail - 2nd day Delivery

I just tried an experiment ... from yesterday we started getting up early (5:30am), prepare all paid orders to date and go to the post office right after they open.

Just got a feedback from customer from Cambridge, Ontario. Her package was shipped yesterday morning.

Cool!
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

long_hitter
Community Member
I have been using oversize letter mail fro the last two years, HUGE savings (since I practically stopped using Expedited Parcel or XpressPost) Some of my items are a bit larger than the allowed by CPC standards (more than 20mm thick) they are usually rejected at the post office, so I buy stamps in bulk and just drop them at a mail box. Had 1 package returned in two years (they wanted $8.00 instead of $1.05) just peeled their label and dropped again in the mailbox went through....

If it wasn't because they increased my commercial rates two years ago, I would have never started with this. I have saved thousands of dollars !! and never lost a package !!
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

That's cool! I never tried to get around the 20mm and we religiously test every suspicious package if it fits, I cut the 18mm hole in cardboard (to have some reserve).

I talked to post office clerk yesterday, and she told me it did not make any difference if we came 8 in the morning or 4:30 in the afternoon. So that particular case, they were just fast in Stoney Creek sorting facility during night shift.

Yup, lettermail is pretty nice service. Postman will take it to your mailbox, but some postmen will not bring you parcel. I just had a 0.5kg parcel (it was USPS Express flat envelope) and I had to go to pick it up.

It's good CanadaPost allows sending non-documents by lettermail. Some other countries national posts do not allow sending non-documents by lettermail. Perhaps in the future we will see the Light Packet for Canada as well, that's what happened with international non-document lettermail two years ago approx in August/September. Same service as international lettermail used to be, they just bumbped the price to double.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I talked to post office clerk yesterday, and she told me it did not make any difference if we came 8 in the morning or 4:30 in the afternoon. So that particular case, they were just fast in Stoney Creek sorting facility during night shift.

Quite true, many postal outlet only have one pick-up per day at around 5:00pm.

I regularly get next or 2nd day delivery for ALL type of mail sent from Toronto to the Windsor to Montreal corridor. Drop off at an outlet is usually better than a drop box because they do a preliminary sort right there at the outlet.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

long_hitter
Community Member
Drop off at an outlet is usually better than a drop box because they do a preliminary sort right there at the outlet.

I try not to use the outlet, sometimes the people working there get too passionate about their job and are the ones rejecting the over 20mm packages. Guys working at the sorting station don't care.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I have the exact opposite experience at my outlet, they NEVER use the template and they have a "special" scale.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

When you offer Oversized Lettermail and light packet, do you also get questions like "can have the tracking information?".

Give me a break! For $2 S/H in Canada and $3 S/H to USA ... where do these people live?
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I don't tell my buyers the specific service I will use beyond "Air Mail". Sometimes buyers ask for tracking numbers but not often, I just reply "no tracking number available".

where do these people live?

They probably live in the USA where you can add Delivery Confirmation (which most people think is tracking) for as little as 18 cents.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

"get too passionate about their job and are the ones rejecting"

Bring them chocolate at Christmas time. Soon you are a friend, not a mere customer! And it only costs $20 a year! ;-) .
Quality stamps from Canada, British Commonwealth and Worldwide at Wholesale Prices
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

bare_bright
Community Member
I don't think one should be talking about what they get away with letter mail, because one never knows who has big ears, better to keep good things to oneself.

A best trick is left A Secret or it will not be a Trick for long

:)
T.J.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply