PayPal keeps blocking my payment

Hello,

I am being blocked from paying on eBay by PayPal. I get the message that something has gone wrong; return to merchant.

This has occurred with a number of different sellers. One payment went through (??) then it reverted to blocking. I spoke to a PayPal staff member; he made a big deal of trying to pay for me and then said it would not go through. He said to try again in 24 hrs.! I already have 2  UPI strikes against me due to this terrible loop. Any suggestions? I am totally unable to pay anything! Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: PayPal keeps blocking my payment

Are you trying to make a purchase from someone in another country? Sellers can have their PayPal accounts set up to not accept foreign / international payments (which would include a buyer in Canada). 

Occasionally you could run across a Seller in the US who is using the Global Shipping Program to ship "worldwide" but they have not corrected or updated their PayPal account to accept payments from Buyers outside of the USA.

Could this be your scenario?

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

No this is to a seller in China from me in Canada. Plus one payment like this went through and then it reverted to being blocked. I am completely stumped!
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Me too. If the ebay message says "return to merchant" are you able to ask the Seller a question? Perhaps there is something wrong with the way the Seller has their PayPal account set up still... Unless there's something in your PayPal profile preventing the payment from being issued but I'm not sure what you would check ~ I can only think of sending limits on an account... I've seen topics on the forum too where people have bought items and then get an ebay message saying the Seller is no longer a registered user ... but you wouldn't get an UPI in that scenario ... hopefully another ebay member will come along soon to educate us both then because I am out of ideas, sorry 😞
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Ok Thank you for trying! 😞
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Hi again, for the error message you are getting is it asking you to return to merchant and try a different payment method? I have looked on the ebay.com boards and see other Buyers with that type of error message problem and it would appear to be something with their paypal account (sending limits or problems with the credit card on file) ~ are you getting the error message right away or can you try to pay using a different funding source in paypal to clear or get through the error (for example choose withdraw from bank account vs credit card funding, if it even lets you get that far... just something to try maybe.)
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Oh Hi,
I get it right away; PLUS the guy from PayPal said it was nothing "at my end" that was the problem.????
I did just try a completely different SMALL purchase and it went through!!
All my previous to be paid have flipped to UPI 😞
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I have, with PayPal, just paid for a poster, not from eBay, and it went off ok. Also, I paid for one small item in eBay ok. Then I was back to "an error has occurred; please return to merchant. Seems to be zeroing in on eBay and allowing some ofthe smaller items through! TEARING MY HAIR OUT!!,
Message 8 of 8
latest reply