PayPal: "Pending Bank Transer"?

shooger
Community Member
I just got an email from what appears to be PayPal. It's something I've never seen before.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Notification of Pending Bank Transfer

Dear Daron Rutter,

The sender of the transaction listed below has received the information necessary to complete a bank transfer to you.

It is now the sender's responsibility to take the final steps to complete the transaction. If no action is taken within 7 days, PayPal will email the sender a reminder.

If the sender does not responded after 30 days, the transaction will be automatically cancelled. PayPal cannot require the sender to complete the transaction.

You will not be able to view this transaction in your PayPal Account Overview until 3 to 4 business days after the sender completes the payment.

Amount: $7.98 USD

Shipping & Handling: $6.00 USD

Insurance: $0.00 USD

Total Amount: $41.65 USD

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is news to me! Besides the fact that the "amount" plus "S/H" don't add up to the "total", the whole thing seems odd. Why does the buyer now have my bank info? I never released it to him, or authorized PayPal to release it to him! Is this payment going to end up in one of the bank accounts I have associated with PayPal?

I haven't changed any of my PayPal settings recently. So assuming this isn't a hoax email (which in some ways it sounds like), have I just never run into this before, or is it something new? If anyone has a link to an announcement about this "bank transfer" feature, I'd love to see it!
Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

mahsauction
Community Member
I would think its a hoax, you can't view the transaction in your paypal account overview seems strange as well. I would forward it to spoof@paypal.com to see what they say.
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

I got a message just like this. But the sender is an actual customer of mine, and the totals do match what I sent him for an invoice.

It's new to me to, though! Is PayPal doing some upgrading or something?

John
Message 3 of 23
latest reply

mahsauction
Community Member
Come to think of it in Canada there are two payment methods now, Echeck and Bank Transfer. I would have figured that the transaction would still show up in your Account Overveiw as a pending transaction.
Message 4 of 23
latest reply

shooger
Community Member
Well if I'm not the only one getting it, then it must be real... but I really wish PayPal would have said something about it. I didn't know I was accepting direct payments to my bank accounts. In fact, I don't really want it to go to my bank account. 😞
Message 5 of 23
latest reply

rd1000
Community Member
I received that from a buyer in Germany. It is not asking you to click on anything or fill in any information, so it is unlikely a hoax. Strange that the totals would be off though.
Message 6 of 23
latest reply

mahsauction
Community Member
I see this in the paypal info:

What is Instant Transfer?

With an Instant Transfer, the money is instantly credited to the recipient's PayPal account. To use Instant Transfer, PayPal requires that you have a back up funding source registered, such as a credit card or debit card. That way, if your bank declines the funds transfer, the transaction is charged to the back up source. You will choose the back up funding source for each payment from the Payment Details page before you send your payment.

and

What is an eCheck?

An eCheck is an electronic funds transfer that withdraws money directly from your bank account. It's just like writing a check, only it is done electronically. When you send money with an eCheck, the transaction will be held as pending for 3-4 business days, until the electronic funds transfer has cleared your bank.

So the email doesn't make sense.
Message 7 of 23
latest reply

shooger
Community Member
Well, the email refers to a "Pending Bank Transfer" not an eCheck or an Instant Transfer. So maybe PayPal just hasn't updated their FAQ yet... nor have they informed their members that they are now accepting these new payment types. I would have liked to know!

Update: nothing has happened. I wonder how long something like this takes? And will the money end up in one of my bank accounts? 😞
Message 8 of 23
latest reply

I'm still waiting for my payment, too, Shooger. The transanction in eBay's SMP is displaying an icon the same that is displayed for pending eCheck... so waiting am I. Yesssss. 🙂

John
Message 9 of 23
latest reply

A week ago I got the same thing - My buyer is also in Germany. She appears to have given up on the transfer, as I just got a regular payment notification and the transaction now shows in my Paypal account.
Message 10 of 23
latest reply

rd1000
Community Member
I received notification of the cleared payment about 3 days after I got the above mentioned email. It went very smooth. It was the only one I have ever received though.
Message 11 of 23
latest reply

shooger
Community Member
Yeah, but where does the money end up?
Message 12 of 23
latest reply

rd1000
Community Member
in your account, just as with other payments.
Message 13 of 23
latest reply

In your paypal account? (And my buyer is in Germany, too!)
Message 14 of 23
latest reply

shooger
Community Member
In the PayPal account, or one of the attached Bank Accounts?

The type of payment is called "Pending Bank Transer".
Message 15 of 23
latest reply

rd1000
Community Member
Mine was deposited in my Paypal account
Message 16 of 23
latest reply

YES IN YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT

sorry to shout....the "pending bank transfer" is from the buyers bank to PayPal.

It's possible (only a guess) that the "total" in the email differs because the buyer has initiated more than one payment top be funded by one bank transfer.

I've not had this particular PayPal email but did have one similar, also had the 10 day waiting period indicated but the payment came through in 6 or 7 days.

Ben

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 17 of 23
latest reply

shooger
Community Member
There's no need to be rude, recped. I was just asking for an answer, not rudeness. 😐

If the payment goes to your PayPal account from the buyer's bank account, then it's just like an "eCheck". Maybe PayPal changed the name and didn't mention it to us.
Message 18 of 23
latest reply

Perhaps international transfers are termed 'transfer' rather than echeque - Paypal cannot confirm those bank accounts in the same way they can with US & domestic banks.
Message 19 of 23
latest reply

Sooger wrote:

There's no need to be rude, recped

Your question was answered several times but you kept asking the same question. If my "shouting" offended you I'm sorry, if you read my post I apologized in advance.

Ben

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 20 of 23
latest reply