Paying customs fees on an item being returned - can I get a refund for those fees?

Hypothetical scenario:

Say I sell an item to someone in the US (i.e. shipping from Canada to the US), and they want to return it for whatever reason. Let's say this is a fairly expensive object - $200 CAD. The buyer mails it back to me, but it gets stopped at Canadian customs and has customs/duty fees applied to it. In order to retrieve my item from my local post office, I need to pay these customs fees.

Is there any way to get a refund for these customs fees from CBSA? This is an item that originated in Canada and is simply returning to Canada. I want to say that "yes, I am eligible for a refund of these fees", but after googling certain keywords I can't seem to find a specific answer to my question. For some reason I seem to recall a form that could be filled out and sent in to request a refund for fees applied to return merchandise. But I also may just be totally out to lunch.

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Paying customs fees on an item being returned - can I get a refund for those fees?

Welcome to my world!  Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

Re: Paying customs fees on an item being returned - can I get a refund for those fees?

I am not recommending that you do this, but you also have the option of sending it back to customs for reassessment.

I once received a return which was clearly marked "return" but they had charged import fees.

It was a used purse but the buyer only stated that it was a purse so I had also been charged duty in addition to taxes and handling fees.

I  had to provide paperwork which proved that I had sold it to the buyer and also that it wasn't a new purse.

Eventually the package was delivered with no added fees but it took way too long.

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

Unless an item is classified as an antique I'm sure that used items can be charged duty so the word used wouldn't have helped.

I would just pay the fees and then put in a customs claim.  I would rather have the item in hand when I refund the buyer rather than refund while the item was being assessed again.  

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

That's right, used merchandise is not duty-free. (Or so I was told at the border by CCRA about a year ago.)

Is an antique duty-free?

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

And used, new or antique, there still would be sales tax .

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

Yes, sending it back for a reassessment is an option, but it can take quite a long time.

Canada Post recommends the best course of action is to just pay the customs fees, then file for a refund with CBSA if you feel you were incorrectly charged duty. That way you have the item in your possession and can enjoy it while waiting for your refund.
Message 26 of 28
latest reply

I'm not certan of the  exact rules but I believe that antiqued over 100 yrs old are duty free.  

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

Seems to be 100 years-- although some 'cultural property' cannot be imported at all.

This is from Pitney Bowes, if you are willing to trust them...

http://www.dutycalculator.com/dc/185895232/antiques-collectibles/antiques-over-100-years-old/antique...

Message 28 of 28
latest reply