Paypal Buyer Dispute

simonchan_ca
Community Member
Has anybody experienced an increase in Paypal non-receipt lately? Since three months ago, I have received about 4-5x the normal rate of non-receipt. It used to be about 1-2 per every 3 months. However, I have received about 6 cases in June, 4 in May, 1 in April and previously about 1-2 cases per quarter.

I'm starting to debate whether or not I should stop using Paypal. I'm grossly disgusted with Paypal's ridiculous policy. They do everything to protect the buyer but nothing for the sellers.

SC
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Paypal Buyer Dispute

sunset_sports_cards
Community Member
I have had the same issues. Paypal blames the way I list my items. Go Figure. I agree totally with you they are fully for the buyer and not the seller.
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Paypal Buyer Dispute

belldandyrose
Community Member
i recently had a file for $200US worth..and i shipped the package. since it was to hong kong, they didn't pay for expresspost..so no tracking or insurance.
and they KNEW they didn't pay for tracking or insurance...but asked in the paypal file claim 'do you have a tracking number?'

i faxed paypal all of the canada post documentation from the desktop..but it wasn't enough..there was no tracking information and so paypal gave the money back to them...

and to make matters even better..the person left nasty feedbacks... *rolls her eyes*
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Paypal Buyer Dispute

3alias33
Community Member
Because of this I have recently opted out of the buyer protection program. I called them and told them that because I am a Canadian seller, I cannot possibly offer ship everything with track AND compete with US counterparts. So... knowing I cannot possibly dispute a claim, I opted out so I can deal with my claims and paypal cannot refund the money. It's my discretion. I think if enough Canadian sellers opt out they make try and modify it a bit. ???? I don't feel that it has hurt my business either.

THoughts??
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Paypal Buyer Dispute

imagi.nation
Community Member
I have heard that opting out of the BPP just takes the BPP logo off your listings but PP will still take the money in the case of a dispute. If this has changed let me know.

Somehow I doubt it has otherwise there would be a surge of sellers opting out and I'm sure PP would soon make it mandatory anyways.

Cheers,
Ernie.
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Paypal Buyer Dispute

3alias33
Community Member
That's not what they told me but I will make sure just in case.

I'll call them tomorrow and post the update.
Thanks
Debbie
Estee's Boutique
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Paypal Buyer Dispute

auctiondropnship
Community Member
I as well have noticed the increase
Auction Drop N Ship
Drop It, Sell It, Ship It

Canada's Ebay Drop Off Store
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Paypal Buyer Dispute

rd1000
Community Member
3alias33

I can guarantee you that opting out of the program will NOT protect against chargebacks OR fraudulent funds. I have opted out to, only because I don't want to be used as an advertising tool for their program. I have no delusions that I am any safer. If Paypal receives a chageback and they cannot recover the funds from the buyer, they WILL take them from your account. You can have all the tracking numbers, receipts whatever.

This has been well documented on various boards. Accepting Paypal payments is a risk...period.

Rob
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Paypal Buyer Dispute

3alias33
Community Member
I agree... that part I knew. So, I was wrong to think that opting out would protect me from false claims of non-reciept also. Apparently, I checked and they still can get their money back using the complaint process... just not $1250 that buyer protection gives them...yippee. I've never had that big of a sale anyhow. It's just troubling that anyone can say they didn't get an item and file a claim and get money back from you!! It angers me. How can we compete with US sellers if we have to charge xpresspost or expedited shipping so we can get tracking!
It's not fair.
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Paypal Buyer Dispute

imagi.nation
Community Member
I check out the PayPal board from time to time and there has been an increase in the complaints from BUYERS reporting not getting a refund from PayPal for SNAD complaints, so PayPal may have modified their policy a bit to not just rubber stamp these types of complaints in favour of the buyer. However it still looks like INR complaints still get the buyer a refund unless the seller can provide tracking information (and not just delivery confirmation).

Cheers,
Ernie.
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Paypal Buyer Dispute

3alias33
Community Member
That screws the Canadian sellers big time! How can you sell if you need to charge $25+ to ship!

I think I may encourage a different form of payment from now on.
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Paypal Buyer Dispute

croquet_team
Community Member
I completely agree, PayPal is severely buyer-oriented when processing a chargeback. Once, I even had proof that the buyer received the item because she left me POSITIVE feedback...but they were still dinks about it and froze those funds from my account for 2 weeks. I am not a fan of PayPal, for many other reasons besides their procedures, but I do believe it's the lesser evil of NOT accepting PayPal (more n.p.b's "check's in the mail" -yeah right it is).

As I understand it, Canada Post offers $100 of insurance automatically on their parcels, whether the parcel has a tracking number or not. So, if you send things overseas via Small Packet I know it doesn't have a tracking number, but they'll insure it for that amount anyways. Just keep your receipts. This is good for lesser-priced items. My new policy is to never ship overseas anything over $100 (CANADIAN, not US$) unless it goes Xpresspost (which is EXPENSIVE.) The other alternative is to just send it regular airmail, in which case you can add insurance over $100. With Small Packet, you cannot purchase any insurance over $100. Make sure you guys have at least filed your claims with Canada Post to retrieve up to $100!!

:-)
Message 12 of 12
latest reply