Paypal Chargeback in Canada

Hi,
I've seen a lot of info & suggestions on NSF checks, thought I would see what you thought about this Paypal chargeback.

Received a chargeback from an item I sent out 3 months ago, since Canadians don't seem to be able to get confirmed addresses, I am not covered by seller protection policy.

The interesting thing is that the buyer is in Canada (ON), so I should have some way of pursuing this...

As well, as soon as I received the pending chargeback notification from Paypal, I emailed the buyer. They actually replied, stated that they had reported their credit card stolen and all charges were reversed. I know that credit card co. don't reverse all the charges, only the ones identified as fraudulent, seemed strange. They emailed me again saying that they have emailed Paypal to explain this and are waiting on them.

Any suggestion on my next steps? I've emailed Paypal to see if they are interested in the emails where the buyer says the transaction is legit, but they don't seem to care. They are supposedly fighting the chargeback with the CC company on my behalf, but I'm not sure what that means, they say to allow up to 75 days for this! Any idea what I should do in the mean time? Best part, their account is still registered on Ebay, not sure what I can do about that either...

Any help is appreciated!
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

shoplineca
Community Member
Have your customers deposit the funds to your bank account through a local branch of your bank. If they refuse tell them that you are getting in touch with their local police.
If it was a large enough sale, file Small Claims papers against them.

Malcolm

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Hi,
Does anyone else use bank transfers like Malcolm suggests? I've had a few buyers, esp. non North American ones, request that, but I would imagine that would involve giving out my bank account #, something I'm not too comfortable doing....
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
gezeilstra
When you send out cheques to pay for something, all your bank account details are there on the cheque. So there is no difference in freely providing it to people to make deposits to your account than paying a supplier, no more risk.

I am an ex-banker and have no idea how anyone having my bank account number and routing code (branch transit and bank number) would allow them to do anything to my accounts outside of depositing money to it.

I have been receiving direct bank deposits from Canadian customers for almost 2-years now without any problems.

I would say 25% of my Cdn customers deposit directly to my bank account at NO cost to them or myself. The customers are also able to use their charge cards at the bank to pay for their purchase.

I get the $$$ immediately and the customers get a receipt from the bank.

Have you tried having customers email their payments to you yet?

About 10% of my Cdn customers email their payments to me from the convenience of their home. The only problem here is that the payments must be deposited to my personal account and not my business account as the Cdn banks are not set up for that yet.

I dont have any costs for receiving money this way but the customer pays their bank anywhere from $2 to $3.50 (unless thay have a special plan).

Still for many customers, they enjoy having the ability to pay for their purchase from their home and feel a little more assured paying through their bank than with PayPal.

Malcolm
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for the info, I didn't know any of that. Can people outside of Canada do a bank transfer to my account too?
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
gezeilstra
No, not to your Canadian bank account because we have a different routing system.

I havent looked into receiving email payments from my US customers into my US Bank account in New Jesrsey yet but it may be possible if you have a US bank account in the US (NOT a US dollare account with your bank in Canada, its completely different).

If you bank online, go onto your bank's web site and look into emailing payments. Its fast and simple and kept between banks and not a 3rd party.

Plus you are giving you customers more choices about how to pay you which is a bonus for you.

If you need any help on how to email payments, email me and I will tell you how its done.

Malcolm
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for the info, I will definately try it, I'm sure I can figure it out...
Appreciate it!
Grant
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

auctiondropnship
Community Member
http://www.certapay.com/en/
Auction Drop N Ship
Drop It, Sell It, Ship It

Canada's Ebay Drop Off Store
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

vintagevenueco
Community Member
I don't see why you can't confirm your address with paypal just because you are from canada. I have a confirmed address and I sell out of ontario. I did end up having to get on the phone with then and fax them a copy of one of my utility bills with the same address, but I got there.

Tom
Message 9 of 9
latest reply