Paypal Shipping: can Paypal and eBay consider reducng the amount of e-mail messages sent to buyers?

In my opinion, both buyers on sellers receive much too many automatic e-mail messages initiated by both Paypal and eBay. 

As someone who buys and sells, I believe this to be more frustrating for the sellers.  Here's why:

-When buyer buys something, buyer receives e-mail from eBay saying something along the lines of "you've won item", but then ebay also sends a separate "order confirmation" e-mail, but then Paypal sends the payment receipt as well.... fine, so be it even if in my opinion, on an immediate payment item (paid immediately with paypal before eBay finalizes transaction), there is zero need for the messages to the buyers from eBay.

When seller marks and item as shipped or adds tracking information, eBay sends a redundant e-mail message to buyers saying so.  I say that is redundant because when the seller uses Paypal shipping, Paypal also sends a (much more useful) message to the buyer.

As I both buy and sell on eBay, I know buyers don't want to be bombarded with e-mail messages that really don't help the transaction go more smoothly.   So far, on a typical buy-it-now transaction with Paypal shipping involved, any of my buyers when I sell something, automatically receive up to 5 e-mail messages, none of which I have any control of.  I don't believe automatic messages equals good communication, but as a seller, I am essentially forced to allow that status quo.  However, because eBay and Paypal already send buyers too many e-mail (in my opinion), I can't as seller, send personalized transaction and shipping updates to my buyers because I risk upsetting buyers buy having them sent yet another e-mail message for something that really should be a simple purchase.

Okay, so that above stuff is pretty much all background so you can see where I am coming from. 

Now, when a seller uses Paypal shipping, the Canada Post event notifications are also being sent, in addition to the message from eBay about the item being shipped, and also in addition to the Paypal Shipping notification message.  But it doesn't stop there.  One message is sent to the buyer as soon as the shipping label is created.  So that's already 3 separate e-mail messages (one from ebay, one from paypal, and now one from Canada Post) telling the buyer that the item will ship shortly.  Then, after you, as the seller, actually does ship the package, Canada post sends ANOTHER e-mail to the buyer.  I suspect that Canada Post will also send an e-mail message to the buyer any delivery attempt and also a (useless) e-mail as well to tell the buyer the item has been delivered (when they already have it).  Why did Paypal think it was necessary to opt everyone into this automated (and sometimes annoying) automated messages. I should be enough that the buyer has the tracking information and check the status when they choose to.  And if, as a seller, I noticed that the buyer hasn't picked up a package at the post office, let me contact the buyer.  No need to bombard my buyers with all these messages...

One more thing: It gets better. Paypal has opted in for these Canada Post notifications for the SELLER as well. Why does the seller need to receive message that the label was created, that the item was shipped, and that the item was delivered?  The seller would already know if an item is shipped, especially when it is the same person who shipped it. 

Thanks for reading my long-winded semi-rant but the TLDR is pretty much this:  I wish Ebay and Paypal would stop sending so many e-mails to my buyers, and  that Paypal would stop automatically opting both the buyer and seller into the Canada Post notification emails.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Paypal Shipping: can Paypal and eBay consider reducng the amount of e-mail messages sent to buyers?

Amen to that ..

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree!! I always like to send my personalized message after I shipped the items and now my buyers are being bombarized by those insane eBay, PayPal and Canada Post!  Very disappointing.

eBay needs to stop taking over the control and let sellers do their jobs.  We are not being paid by eBay so why the heck they need to take over the control or power or take it away from us sellers?  eBay, leave it alone and let us do our jobs.  Many of us are doing good jobs!!  Duh to eBay!!

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Too long-- didn't read.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

This what really irritates me - this is the message that the buyer will get from Canada Post after a sale - this is a cut and paste.

"You are receiving this email at the request of the shipper to provide you with updates on the progress of this shipment."

I did NOT require that that Canada Post provide my buyer with updates on the progress of any shipment - ever.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@rosscd57 wrote:

This what really irritates me - this is the message that the buyer will get from Canada Post after a sale - this is a cut and paste.

"You are receiving this email at the request of the shipper to provide you with updates on the progress of this shipment."

I did NOT require that that Canada Post provide my buyer with updates on the progress of any shipment - ever.

It gets funnier than that.  In the e-mail message sent to to buyer from Canada Post, the shipper will be lsted as Pitney Bowes.

In any event, because Canada Post says that the e-mail was sent at the request of the shipper, the buyers will hold the ebay seller accountable for spamming them. 

As I see it, the Canada post e-mails are nothing but junk mail now, especially with the embedded banner ads, but that's really for another discussion.  Too much legal disclaimer stuff banner ads, and whole bunch of other stuff that the buyer doesn't really need to see when really these e-mails usually have one line of any useful information.  I've already added these messages to my e-mail account as junk mail.

To eBay, Paypal, and Canada Post: Automated and beaureacratic e-mail messages does not equal good customer service.  This type of customer "service" only makes your customers more frustrated and is the same reason that your customers get so frustrated with canned/scripted responses when we contact your customer service departments.  Your "small-time"/small businesss owners/eBay hobbyist sellers do not need this type of nonsense forced upon our customers.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@computer-geek541 wrote:

In any event, because Canada Post says that the e-mail was sent at the request of the shipper, the buyers will hold the ebay seller accountable for spamming them. 

To eBay, Paypal, and Canada Post: Automated and beaureacratic e-mail messages does not equal good customer service.  This type of customer "service" only makes your customers more frustrated and is the same reason that your customers get so frustrated with canned/scripted responses when we contact your customer service departments.  Your "small-time"/small businesss owners/eBay hobbyist sellers do not need this type of nonsense forced upon our customers.

Or the buyer will give the seller credit for keeping them in the loop. So far I have had one message from a buyer who was very happy about this level of communication and zero complaints.
This is an ebay/paypal issue (not Canada Post). It should be the buyer's choice to turn on e-mail tracking and an option for that should be added to paypal shipping when using Canada Post.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@computer-geek541 wrote:

Or the buyer will give the seller credit for keeping them in the loop. So far I have had one message from a buyer who was very happy about this level of communication and zero complaints.
This is an ebay/paypal issue (not Canada Post). It should be the buyer's choice to turn on e-mail tracking and an option for that should be added to paypal shipping when using Canada Post.

I can see some buyers wanting the e-mails from Canada Post.  I am also aware that is Paypal opting us into the Canada Post notifications.

However, imagine a buyer who buys even as little as 3 or 4 items per week, and these e-mails from Canada Post are going to become less and less welcome just because of number of them. 

Also, I think we both agree that there is no way that Paypal should be requesting Canada Post to send these notification messages to the seller.  It is just nonsensical for the seller to receive message along the lines of "the item has been shipped".  I suspect there are already other sellers who are already sending these e-mail messages from Canada Post directly to the junk mail folder.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

my in box is getting too full coz of all these Cda post notification emails generated by Paypal shipping tools

Message 9 of 9
latest reply