Paypal and tracking Small Packets

Hi There,

I usually use Canada Post to deliver my goods and most often they fall under small packet.. The only thing I hate about this is that there is no tracking number and this has cost me... If I use paypal labels do they provide a tracking #?  If it comes to a dispute does paypal use that tracking # since I used there labels.. I have had to issue refunds before knowing darn well the person is scamming but and even though I provide the shipping documents Paypal refuses to side with the seller and then it becomes a long drawn out process attempting to get my money back with Canada post..

I know some will say use tracked packet but  it is more expensive and does not cover all countries.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Of cource ebay would want you to use the most expensive way as they get their cut on the shipping costs They are just playing their game

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I think insurance is more cost effective overall than tracking, although for higher value articles tracking is useful and gives buyers some comfort and will protect you in a dispute as long as delivery is confirmed (for items over $250 US in value signature confirmation is required).  Small Packet has no tracking whether you pay at the P.O. or use Paypal labels. It also no longer has insurance, which many sellers (like me) who used it a lot were very upset to see removed. 

Tracked Packet is in my opinion an over-priced and redundant service.  I would rather Canada Post had left things as they were.  I still use Expedited Parcel for high-value items, and occasionally Xpresspost, both of which have discounts through Paypal.  But they're not for $20 items.

You'll see lots of posts on these boards concerning the demise of Small Packet insurance and the concept of self-insurance ("virtual cookie-jar" insurance), which now is really the only viable alternative for mid or lower-priced items, unless you want to buy third party shipping insurance. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

You are in a high fraud category, so using third party insurance could be well worthwhile for you. Since you don't list a lot, look into the cost sof shipinsurance a company that does one-off insurance for parcels.

If you use a service that has any number at all, even if it is just the shipper's internal invoice number, give that number to the buyer. He may persuade himself that the package has Confirmation of Delivery and not try for a non-delivery claim.  And for the honest customers, which is most of them, the number is reassurance that you did buy postage and presumably shipped.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sometimes I had to use Expedited or XpressPost for $20.00 or less especially when the buyer (just before paying) was asking way too much questions that raised red flags) to protect myself.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Having the same problem! Really frustrating.

What bothers me is that all of my international packages fall under the "small packet" shipping which means I have no options for tracking and no options for insurance.

Tracked packet isn't even an option for some of the international destinations we ship to. I looked into shipsurance, but they do not cover insurance to those destinations. I guess the only thing I can do is not ship to those countries anymore. The only problem with that is they are usually our best customers.

Our "small packets" contain merchandise worth a few hundred dollars or more ... why can't I get insurance (or at least tracking) for that?!

If I have to resolve a dispute, how am I supposed to provide proof of delivery if you can't provide me a shipping option that includes tracking?

Seriously thinking of just shipping within North America now.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

and no options for insurance.

Third party insurance has been discussed. However, for your destinations it is not available.

Still, you have to think and crunch some numbers.

How many dollars have you lost in (possibly fraudulent) undelivered parcels in the past year?

What percentage of parcels have you lost?

Is there a specific country that is a bigger problem than others?

If your losses are one or two percent annually, that's just business, put the cost of your losses into the cost of your products a nd move on. If they are 20 or even 10 percent, there is a real problem.

And do self-insure. This just means adding a tiny amount to the asking price of every product you sell to cover the occasional loss. Before you say "This will price me out of the market!" keep in mind that, by selling into these 'dangerous' countries, you are already one of the very few sources those customers can find.

If you have 100 items and one customer, you have a problem. If you have one item and 100 customers, you get to pick and choose.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply