Paypal shipping won't print the last 4 digits of a hyphenated zip code

cadillactech2000
Community Member
Whenever I print a Paypal shipping label to a US address that has a hyphenated zip code, The label only prints the first 5 digits of the zip. Is this happening to everyone? Is the last 4 digits necessary? I've been hand printing them in and it's a bit of a pain.
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Hm... I have been printing labels for years and never noticed that the 4-digit extension did not actually print.

I believe it's a box # but I doubt it's important as I never had a package returned because of this.

Bernie
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I think the extra numbers just narrow down the area that the parcel is going to. I've heard that they help the mail to move faster but I don't know that for for sure.

I've never added the extension to my labels either and haven't had any problems.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

nan*55
Community Member
Paypal has never printed those 4 numbers.
I've always added them myself.
Supposably it makes delivery faster.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Yeah the last four digits are really not necessary, but if they are there, I do try to include them.
A ZIP+4 code uses the basic five-digit code plus four additional digits to identify a geographic segment within the five-digit delivery area, such as a city block, a group of apartments, an individual high-volume receiver of mail or any other unit that could use an extra identifier to aid in efficient mail sorting and delivery. Sometimes the extra info does help to expedite the delivery, so put it on there anyway when you can.

AXE
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

"Use of the 4-digit add-on is not mandatory, but it helps the Postal Service direct mail more efficiently and accurately because it reduces handling and significantly decreases the potential for human error and possibility of misdelivery. ZIP+4 is intended for use primarily by business mailers who prepare their mail with typewritten, machine-printed, or computerized formats that can be read by the Postal Service's automated scanners during processing."

PayPal really should be adding these on!
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

bighillbargains1
Community Member

PayPal really should be adding these on!

100% agree, it would be about time, they're around for a while now.
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

The zip + 4 does seem to help the USPO sort mail faster. My US zip is 48059-6155 and it is unique to my Postal Box. The mail appears to come out of their automatic sorters all ready for the ladies at the PO to put it into the boxes with no further sorting.

Now that they are getting the mail to move fast, however, most of my business comes in by email, fax or phone orders.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply