Placing a Bid

For auction.

When you initial place a bid to beat a price already placed.

Enter US $x.xx or more and click Place bid button.
Where it says Enter US $x.xx or more below.
Is that the minimum bid I commit my self ? Even though my minimum bid  is several times the increments more  that is needed to beat the current price at that moment ? If the amount need to win is lower than
my minimum bid. It will automatically bid on my behalf the lowest increment(s) needed to win is that correct ?

Or will I have committed to myself to the minimum bid I entered and submitted ?

I mean do I have to place a minimum and maximum bid it order for it to work ?

Or can I just place it as a mimimum bid as my maximum to save time typing it later a maximum bid ?

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Placing a Bid

If the amount need to win is lower than
my minimum maximum bid. It will automatically bid on my behalf the lowest increment(s) needed to win is that correct ?

The bid that you put in is your Maximum bid. If the amount needed to win is lower than that, the system will automatically bid the lowest increment needed to win. However, you don't know what the other bidders have put in as a maximum so when you put in your bid, the other buyers bid may go up to the next increment to go above your bid.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/automatic-bidding.html

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Placing a Bid

So is it better chance to win the bid if we bid a few cents more than the lowest increment needed to win. So if other person bids the lowest amount of increment needed to win you will win the auction because you bid a few cents more than the other person. But if you will  be only paying the lowest increment need to win even though the other person bid that amount. YOu won't be paying higher than what other person bids, right ?

Thanks

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Placing a Bid

"better chance to win the bid if we bid a few cents more than the lowest increment"

That is a theory.  However, since everyone understand the same rules, it comes down to something very simple:

Bid the maximum price you are willing to pay.  The system will automatically take care of your bid and you will end up paying less than your maximum bid unless someone is willing to pay more.

If you are willing to pay a maximum of $25 (plus shipping) it does not matter if you bid $19.86, $21.57 or $25.00 if someone else is willing to pay $25,25 (plus shipping) for the item.

KISS

Decide the maximum you are willing to pay and see what happens. Keep in mind that - on average - only one auction listing in three attracts a bid, fewer listings attract multiple bids.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply