Postal increase will it effect discounted stamps ..What is your view

Ok so here is me rough guesstimating yes that is my own word LOL..

So one seller on ebay selling $1000 worth of stamps for $908 Canadian ...

After all the hassle of sorting through a losing a few cents here and there for not have the exact amount stamps have to be a min of 20% less to make it worth my while ...

NOtw $908 for $1000 roughly 9% off

MArch 31st Metered mail Discount compared to stamps roughly 10-15% somewhere in there so after March31st anything less then 15% less for stamps almost makes it stupid to buy discounted stamps unless they are 15%-30% cheaper...

I know stamps save you time at post office but that time is used up by sorting misc stamps so nothing really to go on there ....

I asked seller if they would do 25% off and respectfully declined and no issues here as I have found a place of ebay to get mine now but does anyone think it will affect the pricing of discounted stamps and if yes or no Why?

This guy says I would rather use them then sell them and I get that but all this one person sells in Lots of stamps not singles and only has about 10 listing and none have sold in over 2 months of watching them so what does the guy really have to use them on LOL ..

Anyways I didn't bug the man that is there choice and is just fine with me but I just wanted peples opionion on this ...

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

o ya 1 thing I was thinking was do you think Canada post is doing this to affect the old stamp below face value scene because it someitmes confuses people

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Sorry confuses postal workers .... I just though why a difference in metered mail and stamps as there never was before
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

As far as I know and I am no expert, after march 31st nothing changes with respect to this.

The $1 for a stamp is if you go into the post office and ask them to get one stamp and put it on the envelope.

If you buy a book of 10 or whatever the stamps cost you 85c each and you put one of them on the envelope and go home and put the others on whenever.

If you put your own stamps on from wherever you got them, you'll only have to put 85c worth on.

If you're getting older ones 20% off, then you are saving the same 20% now.....

(PS the metered mail is if you have your own machine - even in today's world metered mail gets a discount, I can't remember how much maybe  5 or 10% discount. To get the metered mail discount you'd have to sign up for that. I don't know much about it because of course my stamp customers expect stamps to be on the envelope....)

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

No I confirmed it with Canada post $1.80 50-100 grams with stamps (not buying singles)

bringing to post office and getting them using the metered mail printable labels 50-100G $1.60

I do not need the machine to get that discount just stand in line at the post office well not in my case but for other it will be stand in line..

So going to the post office saves you between 10-15% instead of buying stamps in coils..

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I guess some will just stand in line instead of sorting stamps and other will sort stamps instead of standing in line or will it force the below face value stamps to have to get deeper discounts..

I get mine for 25-35% off so I will keep doing the stamp thing for as long as possible but I just wanted to see what others thought because I just started with this whole below face value stamps Thing

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

"I do not need the machine to get that discount just stand in line at the post office well not in my case but for other it will be stand in line"

Ha anyone confirmed that you will get the metered mail rate by standing in line at the post office or will it only apply for business that have their own meter?

Also with discounted stamps you may or may not pay tax on the purchase depending where you buy the. Buying either  stamps or metered mail at the post office will add tax.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Hi Brande... a couple things, I could be wrong but my understanding is that "metered" is for folks who have their own postal machine creating metered stamps, not the labels from the PO..... Also keep in mind that if you ask 7 different postal clerks the same question you will get somewhere between 3 and 7 different answers....I know of folks who've been told by postal clerks that the P stamps won't be usable anymore, and the P stamps will be back again after March 31......we will know the answers to these for sure in just over a months time....although based on what I'm hearing communication wise from my own wee post office here, they are getting mixed messages from head office themselves, so we'll probably see a variety of versions in use when the new stuff hits....just another day of adventure in the home-based business world....
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Ya I guess we will see because I even asked the store owners yesterday and they said going there and using the printed metered mail there is cheaper then buying coils of stamps ..

Ricarmic you are right there I have heard many different things so only time will tell

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Ouch found 2 suppliers in the last week one just wrote me and told me he is dry out because a guy bought $200,000 in stamps and cleared out buddies entire business ..

OUCH

Message 10 of 10
latest reply