Problems with seller (bullying?)

moxin29
Community Member

O.k. So I bought a Sports card (hockey) I pay the seller ASAP, within hrs of auction ending. So far so good. About a week later I receive my item. Here's where the issue begins for me. Normally when someone ships a sports card there is a protocol to follow. The card is placed in a penny sleeve, then a top loader, and then is placed in a bubble mailer for shipping. Well, they did two of the three. The seller didn't ship in a bubble mailer. I was less than happy with this. I was going to leave neutral feedback, and leave feedback as to why, but was prompted to contact the seller to see if we couldn't come up with a solution. So I proceed to message the seller. I told the seller that they didn't follow proper protocol for shipping my item. And I pay shipping fees to have my items sent properly. They replied with hostility, and told me if I left the feedback that they'd report me for leaving improper feedback. They also told me it's not for me to worry about how they ship items. I felt bullied to say the least. So I messaged the seller back to let them know I did in fact know how to send items through mail. And if they needed any education on the topic I'd be more than willing to help them with it. I just want to know do I have any recourse, because I have yet to leave the feedback, for fear of issue with ebay (which I do not want, or deserve I feel). What can/should I do?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Wow.......... as someone who doesn't specialize in cards, but may sell a few here and there, I didn't realize that there was a protocol for shipping.

I certainly wouldn't follow it, but I would certainly ship very safely.

You didn't say if the card was packed safely and arrived undamaged or if it was just packed differently than the "protocol" calls for.

If the seller shipped safely and you approached him or her ready to "teach" how to ship, that would definitely be annoying to a seller.

On the other hand, the best sellers take that kind of thing in stride and "baby" emails like that.

In short, it's not clear to me what your complaint is, if you actually have a valid issue to deal with, or if the way you approached the seller might have been less than kind.

Please clarify:  Was the card packed safely and did it arrive undamaged?

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

I don't see any feedback left recently for the seller of the Bill Hicke card that suggests that he doesn't follow some sort of "protocol" or that they've received damaged cards.

Perhaps other buyers simply have a different set of expectations than you do.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

kxeron
Community Member

Generally speaking,

While you may be a collector and that there's methods of doing things that collectors do, not all sellers are collectors. Unless the listing itself mentions, or the seller does in pre-purchase communication that there will be compliance with the "protocol", there is zero expectation that said protocol will be followed, to expect otherwise is an exercise in expecting the seller to mind-read. eBay is a general marketplace, not a specialized collectors' marketplace.

If the item arrived undamaged, the seller could feel your post-arrival communications are hostile and may not be beneficial to engage in. I would strongly suggest trying to treat purchases as business arrangements: Have everything out on the table before the transaction takes place and keep positive communication, asking if that protocol could be followed if the listing doesn't mention it (mentioning to them how it is done, again, don't expect them to mind-read), and any other concerns therein.

Leaving negative feedback would ultimately at this point in time would be unfair if the item arrived undamaged, had you ensured the method of shipping prior to purchase and that was not followed, you'd have just cause, if the package arrived damaged, you'd have just cause as well.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

The seller is actually right in this case. There is no such protocol for shipping items like this on Ebay. Ebay is not a collector's site, and the seller is probably not a collector as well.

As a rule of thumb, when you leave feedback, you're rating the item, not the packaging. If the item arrived undamaged, it doesn't matter if it arrived in a paper lunch bag, the seller still got it to you.

If you have certain expectations surrounding how you would like your items shipped, you should discuss this with the seller before you buy the item.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I should say, the seller is right about the shipping policy, but not about being rude or bullying. (Of course)

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

The seller didn't ship in a bubble mailer

That's a GOOD thing in my opinion. I've observed that most posties collect the mail for a given address, fold the largest item, a magazine or a flyer around the bundle and hold it together with an elastic band.

Bubble mailers bend.

If something should not be bent, is is much more useful to use a stiffener like corplast or a light card mailer which will prevent the postie from bending it.

The protocol is not only in your own mind, it is just plain wrong.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

There is no reason for a seller to communicate like that. That is just rude. I am sure if he had just told you that he was sorry but this is the way I do my shipping. In the future you want it shipped a special way then maybe contacting the me and describe how you like it. I am very sure the most sellers will be more than willing to accommodate you. The seller should then ask you: I hope you will leave me a good feedback since I did not intend to offend you.
Thank You and have a great day.

My 2 cents 🙂
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

It does raise the question:  What do you mean by "Seller Bullying?"

Who's bullying who?

Message 9 of 9
latest reply