Public servants’ number of sick days are ‘unsustainable’: Clement

The Conservative government is taking aim at sick leave in the public service, where it says the absenteeism rate of 18.2 days a year is more than 2 1/2 times the the private-sector average.

Treasury Board President Tony Clement outlined the new policies Monday in the foyer of the House of Commons, releasing the first details on plans that were hinted at in the March, 2013, budget.

Mr. Clement wants to replace the existing rules, which haven’t been changed since 1970, with two new programs. A short-term disability system will be put in place for workers with temporary illnesses.

The long-term disability program will be reformed with an aim to improve reintegration into the workplace.

Mr. Clement points out that the current system of banked sick days leads to an absenteeism rate that is well above the average of 6.7 days in the private sector.

“That is simply unsustainable for any employer that intends to run a modern, high-performing and effective work force,” said Mr. Clement.

The minister argues that not only is the current system a problem for taxpayers, it is not fair to employees.

Relying on banked sick days is an “inefficient and haphazard” way of managing human resources, according to the minister, because it does not involve case management and rehabilitation support.

“It’s also unfair to employees. If you are stricken with a sudden illness and you need an operation that will force you to be off work for three or four months, but you don’t have enough sick days, you are simply out of luck,” he said.

According to the minister, 11 per cent of public servants do not have any banked sick days and nearly 60 per cent don’t have enough sick days to cover them until the 13-week mark, when long-term disability insurance kicks in. This is seen by the government as discriminatory toward newer and younger employees.

It is not clear exactly what the change in policy will mean for sick days and whether there will be an annual amount set aside.

This latest government proposal will become part of the bargaining mix when negotiations get seriously under way in 2014. Changing the rules surrounding sick leave and disability will require changes to collective agreements, many of which expire in 2015.

Monday’s announcement is the latest tranche in a series of reforms and proposed reforms aimed at saving money and improving productivity.

Previous changes included requiring workers to foot half the cost of pension programs, eliminating voluntary severance for workers who quit their jobs and implementing mandatory performance management reviews.

The changes – combined with consecutive years of budget cuts in federal departments – have led to a sometimes hostile relationship between the government and public sector unions. The largest federal union – the Public Service Alliance of Canada – has run several versions of a campaign called “Harper Hates Me” that criticizes Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

Mr. Clement notes that at annual cost of $43-billion, spending on public sector pay and benefits is the most significant federal expenditure.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/public-servants-number-of-sick-days-are-unsustainable-c...

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Is this a surprise to anyone?

The public sector has always been poorly managed and carries on the traditions that come down from the top.  The main tradition is - it is tax payers money - we can spend it and waste it and then go back to the trough for more. 

As a former manager in the private sector, I had to answer for the attendance of my employees.  Absenteeism cost money.  We paid a lot of attention to it and were kept up to date by the HR dept. every week.  In a plant of over 600 (union) employees, our average sick days per year per employee was generally less than three.  Of course, our employees did not get paid sick days, so being away from work cost them personally. 

It just goes to show you that you give people paid sick days - they will get "sick".

Message 2 of 43
latest reply

I find it hard to believe that public sector workers would take that many sick days.

If they're anything like me. My wife makes me work harder on my days off than I do at work.

I go to work to get a vacation.

Message 3 of 43
latest reply

"Is this a surprise to anyone?"

The surprise is that it took so long for the Conservatives to act on the problem, assuming they can solve it.  For three consecutive elections now, they have promised to run a tighter ship. So far we have not seen much in this regard.

Time will tell.

Message 4 of 43
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

The CPC couldn't do anything like that the last 2 terms of minority gov as neither of the other 2 would ever jeopardize their chances of using public funds to buy union votes

Message 5 of 43
latest reply

The CPC couldn't do anything like that the last 2 terms of minority gov as neither of the other 2 would ever jeopardize their chances of using public funds to buy union votes.

No kidding.

Message 6 of 43
latest reply

"couldn't do anything like that the last 2 terms of minority"

That is a very old excuse.

They have had a majority for over two years....

Message 7 of 43
latest reply

and this has been in the works for at LEAST  the last 2 years. They have done away with it for military and some public servants and have done away with SEVERANCE pay.

and if I remember correctly there were a few on here complaining that it should not be doen

Message 8 of 43
latest reply

That is a very old excuse.

Nonesense.

They have had a majority for over two years....

And now they're doing it.

You should be happy.

Message 9 of 43
latest reply

I remember just a few short months ago people complaining about how terrible the Ontario government was for taking sick days away from teachers and replacing it with short term and long term disability. How it was un-fair that these teachers would not be able to re-tire a year early and use up their banked "sick' days.

There was 1 person really upset about it, saying how a "friend" had taken 5 or 6 "sick" days while his/her child was sick and that is what "sick" days are for etc. etc. etc.

This is a great system and benefits the employees as they can "technically" NEVER run out of sick days as you go on long term disability. now of course you ACTUALLY  have to be SICK now!

Message 10 of 43
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

I suspect there's been some statistical manipulation going on for the government to come up with that 18.2 day figure.

If it is true, however, perhaps it's due to the fact that many civil servants are now stressed out and overworked due to the government's trimming of the public sector?  Funny how that works...

Message 11 of 43
latest reply

I suspect there's been some statistical manipulation going on for the government to come up with that 18.2 day figure.

That's exactly what they did. They took the worst record they could find and used it for their announcement.

I have no problem with the gov't cutting down employees sick time allowances as long as their bosses do. There's nothing like your boss actually setting an example.

Unless each day can be looked back upon by an individual
as one in which he has had some fun, some joy, some
real satisfaction, that day is a loss.
Message 12 of 43
latest reply

The surprise is that it took so long for the Conservatives to act on the problem

This is an assumption on your part.  I tried to find historical data on federal sick days but couldn't.  So, I will make my own assumption.

Based on my experience, it is likely that this problem has existed for years and has gradually been allowed to build up to where it is.  Traditionally, employees in a union (such as federal employees) environment abuse sick days and tend to take "extra" days as well.  If a company produces something that is highly labor intensive and labor contributes significantly to the end cost, then they are more likely to take action.  If labor is not a significant proportion of the cost, then it is easier to ignore the problem and not get into hassles with the union.

The federal government is an employer that produces nothing.  They spend money that they rarely have to account for.  The abuse of sick days by federal employees is probably endemic within the system.  I would suspect that the problem exists from the lowliest front line worker to the top of the management grid - and beyond to ministers and MP's and Senators.  It is difficult to deal with a problem that you are contributing to by abusing it yourself.

Message 13 of 43
latest reply

"it is likely that this problem has existed for years and has gradually been allowed to build up to where it is."

I agree.

And, as the Minister stated publicly, the federal government plans to address the issue in the next round of labour negotiations.  Nothing to do with the Opposition parties slowing down the process.

It is for the government to act.  Most Canadians - regardless of their political affiliation - will support the effort IF there is a real problem than can be minimized, saving taxpayers a bundle of money.

Message 14 of 43
latest reply

And, as the Minister stated publicly, the federal government plans to address the issue in the next round of labour negotiations. 

Past governments appeared to have ignored the issue.

Nothing to do with the Opposition parties slowing down the process.

I agree.  But, they have contributed to the problem over the years.  We can only wait and see how this is handled.  My guess is that the problem will still be with us ten years down the road.  Abuses such as this have become entrenched over the years and will be hard to change.

Message 15 of 43
latest reply

"Past governments appeared to have ignored the issue."

As you stated so well, the problem has been growing gradually.....

The Conservative government has been in office seven years. How much has the problem grown since then?

I agree with the Minister, it is for the government to solve the issue through negotiations,  NOT for Parliament (and Opposition parties) to get involved.

Message 16 of 43
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

Of course it would have involved the opposition.  Look what happened with CUPW holding the public hostage.  The government wanted back to work legislation and go to arbitration.  The opposition filibustered as long as they could and voted against .  

Any showdown with the unions while they were in minority would have had the opposition block any legislation   

Message 17 of 43
latest reply

The Conservative government has been in office seven years. How much has the problem grown since then?

since they have only negotiated ONE contract in that time frame NOT MUCH!!!!

it was the LIBERALS that negotiated BANKED "sick" days that you do not have to actually be sick to take!!

Message 18 of 43
latest reply

"since they have only negotiated ONE contract in that time frame NOT MUCH!!!!"

Here we go again.  Why bother with FACTS?

http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hrpubs/coll_agre/siglist-eng.asp

"it was the LIBERALS"

Keep blaming previous administrations, long out of power.  What does it prove?

Can't you take responsibilities for the actions and inactions of the current government in power for seven years?

Message 19 of 43
latest reply

The liberals drive the family car in the ditch and now they are POed because the conservatives haven't fixed it fast enough and want to drive again before it is fixed.

Message 20 of 43
latest reply