Purchased an item marked free shipping. Was charged for shipping ,seller says it's an Ebay problem

Purchased an item marked free shipping. Was charged for shipping ,seller says it's an Ebay problem. Who do I contact to get my shipping charges back? Here is the response from the seller.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Purchased an item marked free shipping. Was charged for shipping ,seller says it's an Ebay problem

The Global ShippingProgram helps US sellers sell internationally by simplifying shipping (they only need to ship domestically to the GSP plant in Kentucky) and by charging Canadian duty and taxes upfront to the buyer. There is a service charge tothe buyer for this.

So what you are seeing is probably not 'shipping' as such, but is actually Canadian duty on non-NAFTA goods and Canadian tax on imports (5%-15% depending on province) plus the $5 or so service charge.

EBay does not encourage sellers to use the GSP on items selling for less than $50 but they don't work very hard at it either, thus your seller's confusion.

While the seller was remiss in not learning what the GSP entails for his customers, not one penny of that money goes to him. He just gets all the flak.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I was als charged for import fees..

Order total

Subtotal US$43.99
ShippingUS$11.11
Import charges US$11.54
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Go again to the original listing.

There may be an icon near the picture that says Free Shipping, but look lower at the Shipping and Handling tab just beside the Description tab.

Does that give Free Shipping to CANADA?

Most Free Shipping only applies to the country of origin, although the seller can give shipping to other countries as $0.00. (I do myself on many of my listings).

If you originally did your Search on eBaydotCOM, you would see the Free Shipping icon for domestic (ie US) customers although it would not apply to a non-US destination.

I'm not apologizing for this. It is very confusing, although the total amount for shipping, handling and import fees should show up before you hit that second button that sends money to eBay from your Paypal account.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

FREE shipping is right in the product description....no icon or * to say anything otherwise.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

FREE shipping is right in the product description....no icon or * to say anything otherwise.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

When shipping out of the US to Canada in many cases the GSP is a scam. The charges that you see are basically for someone to say there are no import duties. Overall the majority of items coming over the boarder are not charged duty. In at least ten years I only had one item that had a duty charge, now your basically charged every time, do I think Ebay gets a percentage who knows, ever since the % charge Ebay put on shipping I have not been inpressed.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply