Purchasing from China - Any 'hidden' fees/duties to know about ahead of time?

Item in question costs about $40 and is advertised with "free Economy Shipping". from China. Seeing as how the item is Fixed-Price and  less than $60 could I safely assume that it'd literally cost the $40 and not have any surprise fees/duties/etc. on our Canadian end of the transaction? I know those would apply if a courier was involved.

A relative of mine has asked this question of me and I don't want to give her incorrect information.

Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Anything with a value over $20.00 Canadian is subject to HST and taxes.

Whether there is any duty charged would be up to customs.

A lot of low value items do make it through without being checked by Customs

but always expect to pay in case your item does not slip through.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

The rules are simple when importing by mail.

Please take a look at: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/menu-eng.html

Keep in mind that many parcels valued at more than $20 go through Canada Customs without any tax being levied.  However, the rules state that duty (if applicable) and taxes are payable and if levied, they will be collected by Canada Post at time of delivery (or pick up) together with $9.95 service fee charged by Canada Post (in addition to duty (if applicable) and taxes)

"less than $60..."

The $60 exemption applies to gift only.  Purchasing goods from China on eBay or elsewhere is not a gift.  To make that claim is clearly illegal.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Thank you both for the replies; I'll pass this information on to my relative. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply