Quebec City

Hi all. I'm heading to Quebec City this weekend with my wife to see our daughter compete for Newfoundland in the "Eastern Canadian Gymnastics Championship". I've never been to Quebec City and am looking for a little advice on nice places to eat and cultural attractions to visit. I'm not above spending an afternoon or evening in a bar either!

Cheers.

Andrew(buck)

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Quebec City

I will be there from May 11th to the 14th.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Quebec City

"a little advice on nice places to eat..."

If you are not on a diet, I suggest the Chateau Frontenac for lunch.  Pea soup with bread and sugar pie with ice cream!

It is not cheap but.... you only live once! 🙂

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Quebec City

Hi Buck,

I can't give you any advice in that regard but I wish your daughter luck in her competition.

Have a great holiday!

Judy

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Quebec City

kgyllc09
Community Member

My brother has been living in Quebec city for 15 years and I've been there more than a dozen times.

Here are the good stops for GREAT food (they're Quebec City residents' favorites as well):

-Pub St Alexandre (great food and beers. Try the nachos!)

-Cochon Dingue (great ribs, great deserts... great everything in fact)

-Lapin Sauté (same owner as the Cochon Dingue, same quality, different food)
-Café du Monde

Great cultural places to visit:

-La Citadelle

Originally a fort built by the English after their conquest over the French to help control the St-Lawrence traffic, as well as protect themselves from the growing American threat. It is now home to the Royal 22nd Regimen. There are guided visits that explain the history of Quebec city and you get the visit the grounds. It is the highest natural point of the city, so there is a great view of both the city, the Chateau Frontenac.

-Musée de la Civilisation

One of my favorite museums, they currently are showcasing a Samurai exhibit with authentic armors and weapons. There are also permanent exhibits that go over the history of Quebec (the province as a whole) from its foundations to today. Check out their website for more information. Café du Monde is just down the street from there.

-Parliament

The parliament of Quebec is near the Citadel and is worth seeing from the outside if only for the architecture

-Orlean Island

It takes two hours to drive around the island (you take the ferry from Quebec city) and the sightseeing it is great. Make a stop after an hour and bring a picnic if the weather permits. Good guaranteed family time!

-Montmorency Waterfalls

Not as impressive as Niagara Falls, but it is a different experience. Worth seeing for sure.

By the time you get there the boat tours should be open. They sail around the island, you get a great view of the city and the Chateau Frontenac and they also give you great historic trivia as you go along (for instance, when you sail past Cap Diamond, you'll get to see where the English hiked their way uphill in secret to surprise the French in the morning just outside their fortification. The battle of the Abraham Plains that ensued, after two months of heavy bombardment by the English, would seal the fate of Quebec forever)

Unlike Pierre, I really do not suggest eating at the Chateau Frontenac. It is a 5 stars hotel and everything is ridiculously overpriced. If you want to spend some money on a good meal, Café du Monde is the place to go.

Enjoy the city, it is a great place to visit.

I hope this helps 🙂

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Quebec City

Very good suggestions here.

It's really an awesome place to walk around in the old city. Nothing like it in N. America. I guess the one piece of advice that hasn't been given is to check the hours of all the places you want to visit, such as the Citadel, and plan it out, because the temptation when you first arrive is to just walk around, which is great, but you can wind up missing something that closes at a certain time.

Chutes Montmorency and Ile d'Orleans are absolutely worthwhile visits. But I wouldn't cut short your time in the old city to visit these. Between watching gymnastics and everything else, it might be biting off more than you can chew or plan a really efficient visit. If you have to choose, Chutes Montmorency IMO would rank ahead of Ile d'Orleans - there is a very interesting historical / industrial aspect to the falls in addition to the spectacular natural attraction.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Quebec City

Thanks for the info! I will check out some if not all the spots.

Cheers.

Andrew

Message 7 of 7
latest reply