Question about refunds

Hey all, so I am just preparing for the worst incase it does happen I need to know exactly what to do right away. I sold an item and thought it was working perfectly (it was a computer). The buyer received it and said it doesnt work. I sent the refund, so now basically if I do not receive the item in a couple weeks from the "claimed" shipment date of the buyer, how long do I have to wait before I take action, and where and how do I take action within the eBay control panel?. Am I covered incase the item is not sent back as I have already sent the refund?, and is it required for the buyer to use a tracking number when shipping the item back to me?. 

Also, if the item that is sent back to me is not all together (and has some missing parts), what do if that happens?. Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Question about refunds

You refunded before getting it back?

In the event of a dispute, the buyer is required to send it back, with tracking, and then you refund.

I really do not think it is coming back to you.
Photobucket
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Question about refunds

I didn't know that's how it works, I have never been in this situation, except the other way around. So basically, im not protected right now?. Otherwise, the guy im talking to seems legit. There wasnt a dispute made because we communicated everything, and I can tell he is new to the ebay thing (i am too in this situation). 

So next time, a dispute MUST be made no matter what?. 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Question about refunds

"So next time, a dispute MUST be made no matter what?. "

Not necessarily.  Just make sure your buyer sends the item back with tracking and they give you the tracking number so you can check it's progress.....then you will at least know it has been shipped.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Question about refunds

So next time, a dispute MUST be made no matter what?.

No. Next time refund once you have received the item back, not before.

It's very possible that the buyer will send the item back but if you don't receive it, there is not much that ebay can do since you have already refunded. Did the buyer already tell you that they have mailed it back to you? If the computer didn't work when the buyer received it, they may not be willing to pay to send it back. You might want to suggest that once you receive it back you will refund them the cost of return shipping once you can check to see if it is working.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Question about refunds

No, what I meant was that next time a dispute must be made by the buyer and then that will trigger the process of him sending the item back first and I send him the refund as you guys said. What you guys said, is what I meant, but I just meant that the buyer must file a dispute first. 

I actually just contacted eBay and Paypal and the best we can do is wait for the buyer to send it back. I won't get protection for this from paypal. It was a mistake, but the buyer is super nice. He said he is shipping it this weekend, and will provide a tracking number. He does not want me to fix it and return the item back to him, he just wants the refund, which I said I understand.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Question about refunds

No, what I meant was that next time a dispute must be made by the buyer and then that will trigger the process of him sending the item back first and I send him the refund as you guys said. What you guys said, is what I meant, but I just meant that the buyer must file a dispute first.

Yes,  I know what you meant but when a buyer wants to return an item, they do not HAVE to start a dispute. They return the item, you receive the item back  and then you refund. Once that has been done, explain to the buyer that you are going to cancel the sale with ebay so that they will credit you the fees paid to them. To do that, file for a mutual cancellation. Ebay will send the buyer a message asking if they agree to the cancellation, once they agree, you get your ebay fees back.

You can cancel the transaction to get your fees back in this situation as well but I would probably wait until the item has been received back or is on its way back.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Question about refunds

As a seller you never want the buyer to start a Dispute. This goes on your selling record, delays the discussion by having a third party involved, and may make and unhappy customer into a furious one.

None of which is helpful to you as a seller.

If you can work things out with your buyer, and that means no refund without return, then do it. Keep the communication open and friendly.

The Standard Practice is based on eBay/Paypal policy, which is that the buyer pays for returning the item.

If the error turns out to be the seller's fault, she can also refund the buyer's cost of return shipping. This is a Best Practice, and is not something that PP can mandate. It is totally voluntary.

Let us know if you get your computer back. As you know, shipping something like that is expensive and your buyer may decide that since he has the money, he may as well toss the non-working machine.

And I am giving him the benefit of the doubt there.

We ain't thieves... Well, we are thieves....- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Question about refunds

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Just so you guys know I got a tracking number and it's supposed to arrive in 7 days to my address. So he says it costed an expensive $75ish to ship it to me (a standard desktop computer box is what hes shipping). 

So how do I pay him back the difference, like how much?. It was a little bit less for me to ship it to him, so at that time I only charged him so much for shipping, and I asked him to send an additional amount to make up for the extra cost for the shipping charges then. 

Since the computer didn't work when he got it, it's not like hes returning something to me that is working, and that he just didn't like it. So it's kind of my responsibility to cover shipping charges for the item to be returned to me right?. Should I just call eBay support and ask them?. Thanks in advance.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Question about refunds

best and fastest way to get answers is right here partner...

You should pay the return shipping to be nice and if they are telling you the truth it is only fair  but you are no obligated to pay return shipping ...

IF the item was working when it left and was damaged in transit you can claim damage postage through the post office or carrier as long as you had it insured

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Question about refunds

True, I agree. If I have a tracking number, should I pay him right away or wait until the parcel gets here?.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Question about refunds

Wait until it gets to you.

Something has been mailed  to you. Find out what it is before sending money.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Question about refunds

I was thinking the same thing. The tracking number works but it could be a rock being sent to me, I just wanted to make sure and see what you guys thought. I didn't send anything yet. Thanks again.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply