Question concerning postage rates to Ontario

First off.   I live in Saskatchewan

When I ship a package from the post office to any Province that has a separate PST and GST rate,  I am only charged the GST (No PST on postage).

However if I ship to Ontario from my local post office,  I am charged the Ontario  HST which is 8% more than the straight GST.   To get around that extra 8%,  I just get a rate quote and purchase stamps or use my own if I have purchased any discount postage.  Problem with my discount postage is that I need to put a large amount of stamps on package as I am now down to very low denominations

My question however is for any Ontario sellers.   If you send something to Saskatchewan,  are you only charge the GST or do you have to pay the Ontario HST ??

I always thought that it was the point of purchase that the taxes were charged,   but not in the case of Shipping to Ontario.

Comments please..

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

The rules are really odd when it comes to CP and taxes.    For some services it is based where the postage is being sent from and on other services where it is being sent to.  I think that expedited parcel is in the same category as xpresspost in the info below.

Items going to international destinations and Canadian Forces Post Office
No sales tax if the total price per transaction (single or multiple items) is $5 or more.

If it’s less than $5, then:

GST and QST if sent from Quebec (QC
HST if sent from Ontario (ON), Prince Edward Island (PEI), New Brunswick (NB), Nova Scotia (NS), and Newfoundland and Labrador(NL)
GST only when sent from Manitoba (MB), Saskatchewan (SK), Alberta (AB), British Columbia (BC), Nunavut (NU), Northwest Territories (NT), and Yukon (YT)

Lettermail™ and parcels within Canada (consumer)
GST when sent from BC, AB, SK, MB, NU, NT, and YT
GST if sent from ON, PEI, NB, NS, and NL to QC, MB, BC, SK, AB, NU, NT, YT, and the total transaction price is $5 or more and taken at the counter at the time of payment
HST if the total is less than $5 and the item is sent from ON, PEI, NB, NS, or NL
GST only if sent from QC, with a total price per transaction of $5 or more, and taken at the counter at the time of the transaction
GST and QST if sent from QC and the total transaction price is less than $5

PriorityTM, XpresspostTM and commercial parcels within Canada
HST if sent to ON, PEI, NB, NS, and NL
GST if sent to QC, MB, SK, AB, BC, NU, NT, and YT

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/details.page?article=collecting_sales_tax&cattype=kb&cat=general...

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Here is Canada Post's official page on collecting taxes:

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/details.page?article=collecting_sales_tax&cattype=kb&cat=general...

It is really quite convoluted. According to that it seems like the only way you would be charged the HST to ON (from SK) is if you're mailing "Priority, Xpresspost, and Commercial Parcels". I'm assuming "Commercial Parcels" includes 'Expedited Parcel', which is probably the most commonly used shipping option for anyone with a Solutions for Small Business (formerly VentureOne) business card with Canada Post.

Does the information on that page add up with what you are experiencing at your local postal outlet?

Stealth Edit: Whoops, looks like pj got to it before I did 😛

Message 3 of 3
latest reply