Quote function needs more visibility

I liked the idea of a thread devoted to spell-checker upgrades, so I decided to start one for a discussion of the Quote function. I have noticed two issues.

1. On other threads, posters have mentioned two issues, sometimes indirectly by commenting that they didn't think that there even was one!  They didn't see the Quote link (upper right, above the text-entry box) and hadn't noticed posts up-thread in the very same thread they were commenting on.

2. Within a post, the quoted text at the top of the post but it's in the same font as the post and is set off only by the quoted poster's name at the top and by a thin line at the bottom. Some posters haven't even recognized these as quotes, and I have found myself halfway through a quote before I realized it sounded familiar  and then noticed it was a quote.

So, I think quoted sections should be made more distinctive by a shaded box, a different font, or something. In the current eBay format that's still visible on the US boards, there is gray shading similar to the shading that's used to show alternating posts. Maybe we can find an example that we like  in one of Lithium's other communities.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

So, I think quoted sections should be made more distinctive by a shaded box, a different font, or something. In the current eBay format that's still visible on the US boards, there is gray shading similar to the shading that's used to show alternating posts. Maybe we can find an example that we like  in one of Lithium's other communities.

OK, I know it's bad board etiquette to quote yourself, but in this case it's justified, in order to illustrate the point that I made above.  

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

I liked the idea of a thread devoted to spell-checker upgrades, so I decided to start one for a discussion of the Quote function. I have noticed two issues.

1. On other threads, posters have mentioned two issues, sometimes indirectly by commenting that they didn't think that there even was one!  They didn't see the Quote link (upper right, above the text-entry box) and hadn't noticed posts up-thread in the very same thread they were commenting on.

2. Within a post, the quoted text at the top of the post but it's in the same font as the post and is set off only by the quoted poster's name at the top and by a thin line at the bottom. Some posters haven't even recognized these as quotes, and I have found myself halfway through a quote before I realized it sounded familiar  and then noticed it was a quote.

1. The quote function is highlighted in a blue box beside Spell Check and is quite visible. I had no issues finding it to use in replying to a post.

2. The quoted section is in between two horizontal lines when editing and the whole block is indented. Again no issues in using the quote function in a reply or seeing it used in a post.

I think it is a matter of just getting used to the "look and feel" of these new forums. Some users will have trouble adapting and it will take them more time.

In the old forums, some had trouble finding the quote function when that version of the forum was introduced.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

1. The quote function is highlighted in a blue box beside Spell Check and is quite visible. I had no issues finding it to use in replying to a post.

2. The quoted section is in between two horizontal lines when editing and the whole block is indented. Again no issues in using the quote function in a reply or seeing it used in a post.

I think it is a matter of just getting used to the "look and feel" of these new forums. Some users will have trouble adapting and it will take them more time.

In the old forums, some had trouble finding the quote function when that version of the forum was introduced.

Testing quote of a quote.

Preview shows indenting of all previous quotes. So quoting of previous quoting can get messy with multiple indent levels. But that was the same in the old forums if I recall correctly.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

1) The quote function IS NOT VISIBLE on my iPad. I am using the regular eBay website viewed with Safari (not the mobile app, which I dislike). Other things are missing from the iPad view too: the Spellcheck tab; the Preview and HTML tabs; and the entire line of tools that begins with Bold and ends with text color.

2) I agree with nobody's_perfect. Shading the quoted section would be helpful.
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

nobody*s_perfect wrote:...I think quoted sections should be made more distinctive by a shaded box, a different font, or something. In the current eBay format that's still visible on the US boards, there is gray shading similar to the shading that's used to show alternating posts. Maybe we can find an example that we like  in one of Lithium's other communities.

I agree ...the stark white makes it hard to discern the quote and pale dividing lines don't help matters. Not everyone has 20 year old eyes. (I'd venture to say the majority of us don't!)

Three lines are showing under the quote in preview, no idea why (supposed to?). Not sure if they will transfer with the post or not, but we will see in a few seconds..

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

The lines transferred, but I have no idea what I did to cause them to be there.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

nobody*s_perfect wrote:

The Lego forums use a shaded box for quoted text...

https://community.lego.com/t5/Welcome-to-the-Community/Test-the-message-boards/td-p/4262254/page/4

Another possibility... what if the "username wrote" part of the quote is in blue font, like I used in this post?

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@sandypurins wrote:

nobody*s_perfect wrote:

https://community.lego.com/t5/Welcome-to-the-Community/Test-the-message-boards/td-p/4262254/page/4

Another possibility... what if the "username wrote" part of the quote is in blue font, like I used in this post?

I'm quoting you but I made your text smaller. And italicized! Cat Tongue

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@blue_eyes_james wrote:

@sandypurins wrote:

nobody*s_perfect wrote:

So, I think quoted sections should be made more distinctive by a shaded box, a different font, or something. In the current eBay format that's still visible on the US boards, there is gray shading similar to the shading that's used to show alternating posts.

Maybe we can find an example that we like in one of Lithium's other communities.

Another possibility...

what if the "username wrote" part of the quote is in blue font, like I used in this post?

I'm quoting you but I made your text smaller. And italicized! Cat Tongue

And I colorized parts of all above quotes-within-quotes...

◄◄ ►►

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Oh my Zod that looks like an un-holy mess up there! Cat LOL Man LOL Robot LOL Smiley LOL Woman LOL

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

blue_eyes_james wrote:

Oh my Zod that looks like an un-holy mess up there! Cat LOL Man LOL Robot LOL Smiley LOL Woman LOL

My eeeeeeeyes!

Did you know there's an 'Accept Solution" button, below the Reply button? I don't remember seeing it before, and I'm not using it yet.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

So, I think quoted sections should be made more distinctive by a shaded box, a different font, or something. In the current eBay format that's still visible on the US boards, there is gray shading similar to the shading that's used to show alternating posts. Maybe we can find an example that we like in one of Lithium's other communities.

As you can see, I'm now in the habit of italicizing passages that I quote, a hangover from a previous board set-up where people had to copy and paste posts they were quoting and italicizing them to distinguish them from what they themselves were posting.

Some people quote in boldface but I think that just makes the quoted passage "sound" too strident.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply