Rats, finally a TRS requirement that I don't survive....

When I went to seller dashboard today I got the list of the new TRS requirements and they've finally created one that will prevent me from being a TRS or at least receiving "top rewards" as they call it.

My problem is to upload tracking on 90% of my items. Generally only a small portion of my stuff is trackable anyway so the 90% will never happen (today I only rarely upload the tracking information for the stuff that is tracked).

Because my buyers are stamp collectors they want stamps on their envelopes so I don't do the online labels.

The notes do say though (I think) that if I keep my other things up (DSRs etc I guess) I'll still get my financial discount, so I'm assuming the "top rewards" is better exposure.

It will be interesting to see how it works out because I've been watching other sellers who are not TRS but are getting excellent exposure because of the volume of stuff they are selling (usually multi item lots with high turnover).

It will also be interesting to see how it affects my non US customers, I don't think this affects them and I have had a significant increase in Australian, Russian and GB buyers since about October.

Every year is a new adventure it seems!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Canadian sellers are exempted of that requirement.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Umm I don't think we're exempt, this is the title...."A preview of the new Top-rated seller program for Canadian sellers on eBay.com" and after that it says: Starting in June, the Top-rated seller benefits you receive on eBay.com will also be based on how well you meet new listing requirements. Here's a preview of how your current and completed listings would meet these requirements.....(I don't sell anything on .CA.)

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Opps I missed a piece before I posted....You must have uploaded tracking within your stated handling time on at least 90% of completed transactions with US buyers during the past three months in order for your listings to qualify for the top rewards on eBay.com. Canadian sellers who do not meet this requirement will still qualify for Top-rated seller Final Value Fee discounts for their listings created on eBay.com and eBay.ca.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Hi All,

I am in the same boat. Small items the either go by letter mail or small packets and both do not have tracking nubmers.

Below is what I coppied out of the Seller Check list. It says Canadians can keep the top rated level but they will punish us in the Best match search if we do not upload tracking numbers. This is discrimanatory in my books.

Use trackable shipping services if you can and always upload tracking information if you do.

When buyers see tracking information for a shipment, it puts their mind at ease. It can lead to better Detailed Seller Ratings (DSRs), and more repeat purchases. Starting in June, US sellers will be required to upload tracking on 90% of their sold listings within their stated handling time in order to continue to qualify for the US Top-rated seller program.

Because we recognize that shipping with tracking is considerably more expensive when shipping from Canada, sellers registered in Canada can continue to qualify for the US Top-rated program without meeting this 90% tracking requirement. But you'll still need to meet the tracking requirement in order to earn the highest possible level of boost in Best Match search on eBay.com.

If you're able to offer tracking to your buyers, whether you list on eBay.ca or eBay.com, always upload your tracking information for your buyers. If you purchase and print your shipping labels online using PayPal, then we'll upload the tracking information for you.

Cheers --

Gehres

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

In the thread started by eBay on the Seller Central discussion board I believe that eBay staff told us that if we print the labels on PayPal we can use the Light & Small Packet information instead of a tracking number.  Although not trackable it gives them proof that the postage was paid for and when.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

for Canadian Seller the Tracking part only applies to US and International sales and I sell all small stuff so when you print for small packet and light packet it comes with tracking ... 100% Of my international Item have some type of tracking number and so will everyone else because you are going to use Light packet or Small Packet Air for all small parcels

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Just go to add tracking .... Tell buyer you will notice a number in the Tracking Section this is just a reference Number for my personal Records  .... Type in a Random number that you like pick from the sky and Add it and bam done ... Ebay is not going to check all the numbers added to the tracking section of a sale...

I will not be doing this because I don't need to and I really don't recommend it but you can do what you want to do 🙂

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Ebay is not going to check all the numbers added to the tracking section of a sale...

They can and they probably already do!

As previously mentioned, it's a moot point since Canadian sellers are exempt.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

We are only partly exempt, while we'll still get the $$$ discount, we do get hit on the best match aspect. The negative impact with respect to best match may be signficant, to me at least....for US buyers.....

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

"we do get hit on the best match aspect. The negative impact with respect to best match may be signficant, to me at least....for US buyers....."

Not really.

An analysis of the stamp market on eBay will clearly show Canadian sellers will most likely be advantaged overall by the change of policy. If anything, the changes - including the exemption for Canadians to use tracking - will benefit us on the long run.

Take a good look at the many threads on eBay.com from stamp dealers, trading card sellers, etc... The vast majority will continue to offer low cost first class mail without tracking (except for higher priced items).

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Take a good look at listings in the Stamps category on eBay.com. You will find hundreds of thousands of listings offered at $2 or less.  Hundreds of thousands!

These sellers will continue to offer cheap shipping (first class mail) as there is no business advantage for them in paying extra for tracking.  Yes, they will lose the 20% discount.  However, that only works out to $0.04 per $2.00 transaction.  It is not worth their while increasing prices to cover tracking just to save $0.04.

This is an example where Canadian sellers will get the edge! 🙂

And life is good!

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Hmm this is an interesting perspective! Yes I agree those endless $0.01 etc stamp people won't be paying for the tracking either and now that you mention it this way, they will drop out of TRS altogether because they are in the USA. It is likely that a good chunk of my competitors there (at least the cheapies) will be worse off than me, whilst the "big guys" were already outshining me in best match anyway.

It will be interesting to see what happens! I need sales to stay strong so I can enjoy lotsa fishing days this summer!! (Last summer was wrecked by the posties strike, I had to work through the summer to recover sales lost during the strike)

Thankyou for sharing your research information, while I also do my own research, I can't spend enough time at it as I am having a tough time keeping the running inventory refilled! (not complaining about that though!)

THX again for sharing and have a great day!

Message 13 of 13
latest reply