Re: Survey questions from eBay - "Free Gift" offered, and its a scam. How do I report this to eBay?

twexyl
Community Member

A few weeks ago I answered some survey questions that popped up while I was using eBay, and upon completing the brief survey. three "Free Gifts" were offered for consideration. They were products from a couple of different companies, where free samples would be provided if I paid the $4.95 shipping. being that I trust eBay I gave my charge card info to pay for the shipping.

The product showed up last week, and on Sunday (yesterday) I got an email from the company - it was called  - stating that I was being billed $59.95 US$ for more of their useless product.

Are these surveys official eBay surveys or are they phishing scams?  They only pop up when I am using eBay.

Is  a company whose products are offered as a Free Gift?

Greg Webdale

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Survey questions from eBay - "Free Gift" offered, and its a scam. How do I report this to eBay?

First thing I would do is phone the 1-800 number on the back of

my charge card and cancel my card and ask for a new one because

this company now has your number.

Explain to whoever you speak to what happened and ask if you could do a

Chargeback.

Whenever ebay has any promotions or contests where they

award prizes the prizes are shipped to you FREE.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I know this post is almost a year old, but I just had a similar experience.

I was logged into my eBay account refreshing my items for sale, when a new tab opened. There was an audio recording stating that eBay wanted me to participate in a short survey. The word "ebay" was listed at the top of the page, though it didn't look the same as the regular logo. It was all blue instead of multi-colored.

I answered the survey questions (gender, age range, have you purchased anything from ebay this month, will you be purchasing in the future) and submitted my answers. It then shows me three items that I could supposedly choose from: a watch, some lotions or something, and an e-cigarette kit. I was a little skeptical of this offer as it said the item I chose would be free, I would just have to pay shipping. So I tried looking up what I thought was the brand name of the watch on ebay with no luck. 

Then I clicked on the link for the watch and it took me to some weird page that looked nothing like ebay and was in some foreign language I didn't recognize. I immediately closed it, did not give my credit card info (THANK GOD!)

But for the last hour, when I'm logged into ebay and I go to click on various links, that page will try to open again. Luckily I downloaded Norton Antivirus and the most recent time, it got caught before it could load. I called ebay's customer service and told the woman what happened. She didn't seem to believe me, but based on this thread and others I've seen I know this is something ebay has been dealing with for a while. Wish they could have told us about it!

Anyway, BEWARE OF SURVEYS!  And always read the fine print. I forgot to mention that on the page that first pops up asking you to take the survey, it states at the bottom that the survey is NOT affiliated with ebay. 

Be careful!

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

hajasw
Community Member

A similar thing happened to me on October 10,2014.  I got suspicious when the "free gifts" were too good to be true and I did not provide any personal information.  I still have the web-address associated with the survey.

At first, I couldn't find anywhere on the ebay-website to pass on information about my experience ( I am much too impatient to call a 1-800 number).  

On a discussion site, somebody told me about spoof@ebay.com so I reported my experiences there - I am still not sure that was the right place.  

The little bit of response I have received from ebay was obviously from a bot.  There is an apology because my concern was not addressed.  Then I am directed back to the usual help documents - none of which deal with phishing disguised as an ebay-survey.

The situation has been frustrating.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I was about to log in to my e-bay account when this survey popped up. I googgled "e-bay survey scam?" and found this thread. Anything too good to be true is almost always a scam.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply